There's chrome under there!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Did you know that under the dull silver on the grabrail/sissybar reflector plate is nice shiny chrome? Yup, a little elbow grease and you can get them to look pretty good. :punk:

Oh, the Virago thing? It confuses the Harley guys and every once in awhile one will actually pull up beside me at a red light before realizing it's really one of them 'hated VMax's'!! :rofl_200:

Thanks to sean morley i did know that . He told me and i rubed it out and put a brake light in place of the reflector. If you go to walmart you can get a trailer running light and it will fit to the refletor mount holes. I have a thread with part numbers on here somewhere. I was in tractor supply and saw a led one. The light comes with a chrome trip plate and looks good with the grab bar trim.

Thanks to sean morley i did know that . He told me and i rubed it out and put a brake light in place of the reflector. If you go to walmart you can get a trailer running light and it will fit to the refletor mount holes. I have a thread with part numbers on here somewhere. I was in tractor supply and saw a led one. The light comes with a chrome trip plate and looks good with the grab bar trim.

Hey, that's a great idea....a trailer light. :clapping: Bulb type too, right? No resistors needed. Think I'll do that, I like lots of rear end lights....might just make a difference someday.

Oh, just noticed the TSC one is LED....any resistor needed for that one Mike?

nice smoke screen dan....blind side them righr. first distraction with shiny chrome then miss lead with virago badge and rest is history from the light on......lol

Did you know that under the dull silver on the grabrail/sissybar reflector plate is nice shiny chrome? Yup, a little elbow grease and you can get them to look pretty good. :punk:

Oh, the Virago thing? It confuses the Harley guys and every once in awhile one will actually pull up beside me at a red light before realizing it's really one of them 'hated VMax's'!! :rofl_200:

Yeah... I was gonna ask about that badging... On my back rest, it just says V-4

I wanna do something like that. But it will be my break light after I eliminate the stock fender!

If your using the led strip for running or brake light you shouldn't need an inline resistor....................Tom.

The light at walmart is not led. Thats the one i used so i wouldent have to worry about it. I also just wired it to my brake light switch so it wouldent light up unless i hit the brake. I felt it would be more noticeable that way. When you got michigan hooligans all up your ass trying to pass you it a good idea to have this add on.

If your using the led strip for running or brake light you shouldn't need an inline resistor....................Tom.
+1, Good point Tom, resistors or a flash unit only needed for turn signals. It would help your electrical system to use LED's for running lights and brake lights since they use less voltage.

I have a sissy bar from a Virago, there is a lockable compartment in-between the sissy pad frame rails. Big-enough for a tool kit.

I love it when you see guys do everything they can to catch you at a light cuz they think you're on an old egg beater.....by the time their fully off the clutch lever, i'm usually getting the front wheel back on the ground from 2nd gear power shift 9 bikes away :biglaugh:

I have a sissy bar from a Virago, there is a lockable compartment in-between the sissy pad frame rails. Big-enough for a tool kit.

This is a Virago sissybar also, the one I got for $60 or so off ebay that had the sport luggage rack also (which is on the 1260 now)

The side pieces are on the wall to the left of the grey cabinet...no lockable compartment on it tho.

Attachments

• 100_3321.jpg
    100_3321.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 42
Hey, that's a great idea....a trailer light. :clapping: Bulb type too, right? No resistors needed. Think I'll do that, I like lots of rear end lights....might just make a difference someday.

I did it to mine with led no resistor and got it at tractor supply also..:punk:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29122

I used an LED, Walmart trailer light, with no resistors Dann-o. Wired into the running lights only. Works great. I think the resistors come into play more with directionals. They work a little faster with no resitors. I like it that way.

Yea, they usually only see the back of our bikes on the road.

I have an LED marker light and had a friend wire it up to be able to use it as a running light and a brake light.

If anybody is interested, I can get the instructions on how he wired it up.

Mike

How did you remove the paint without damaging the chrome underneath? Is it metal or plastic? Never checked it out. :confused2:

I did it to mine with led no resistor and got it at tractor supply also..:punk:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29122

Nice job! :clapping:

I used an LED, Walmart trailer light, with no resistors Dann-o. Wired into the running lights only. Works great. I think the resistors come into play more with directionals. They work a little faster with no resitors. I like it that way.

I got a reflector replacement LED from Lankee and it wouldn't work right without the resistor....wonder if it works on some and not on others....:confused2: Gonna head to TSC and get one tho, wire it as a brake only, just maybe grab the attention of some texting fool behind me who is on the verge of running me over! :punk:

How did you remove the paint without damaging the chrome underneath? Is it metal or plastic? Never checked it out. :confused2:

I used some 1K grit sand paper m-cman, the chrome is pretty hard but lighten up when it starts to show through. There's a copper layer under the chrome, if that starts to show on the corners you're getting close to going thru the chrome.

It's plastic like the mirror heads or speedo housing....no idea why Yamaha put that dull silver over it....:confused2:

I didn't take much time with this one, maybe 1/2 hr or so, so it's not that great a job, but they can be made to look pretty good with some effort.

I have an LED marker light and had a friend wire it up to be able to use it as a running light and a brake light.

If anybody is interested, I can get the instructions on how he wired it up.

Mike
I run 3 Custom Dynamics (CD) LED bars and a grab bar led (custom made), and all run in taillight/ brake modes wired directly to stock wiring. I'm also running 2 Rizoma zero eleven LED turnsignals (with resistors) on the rear that flash normally using stock wiring. I run incandescent bulb turn signals up front that function as running lights/ turn signals but just bought some more Rizoma's butr will lose the running light feature.

I run 3 Custom Dynamics (CD) LED bars and a grab bar led (custom made), and all run in taillight/ brake modes wired directly to stock wiring. I'm also running 2 Rizoma zero eleven LED turnsignals (with resistors) on the rear that flash normally using stock wiring. I run incandescent bulb turn signals up front that function as running lights/ turn signals but just bought some more Rizoma's butr will lose the running light feature.

I ran some Custom Dynamics led bars on '99 and they needed nothing extra....work good too.

Here's the '86 reflector plate, I took a little more time with this one.

Attachments

• 100_3325.jpg
    100_3325.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back