This is why everyone should invest in crash bars.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBD319

Reaction score
Was riding to work today, accelerating away from a stop light and a car up ahead decided to abruptly pull over and stop on a road with no shoulder (I saw this after I got up) and the 2 cars behind him slammed on the brakes. Being that we were accelerating, and it's 45 degrees, and I panicked, the front tire locked up pretty quickly and that was all she wrote. Luckily I was only going about 15 mph. My helmet only has a small scuff on the left side and my riding pants a small rough spot on the left knee.

Long story short, my left side crash bar is pretty much ruined, but it saved the rest of my bike from major damage. Small price to pay. The handlebars have a small bend in them on the left which is hard to see in the pics, but I wanted to get drag bars anyway so the mod monkey will get fed for sure now. I've been riding for 4 years and this is my 3rd bike, and it's the first time I've dropped anything at any speed, despite being in some hairy situations on my GSX-R. Obviously rear brake bias would have probably saved the day, but in these types of situations there is only so much you can do on 2 wheels. *shrug*

P.S. Anyone selling just a left side chrome crash bar? Hehe

Attachments

• 20141003_123550_resized.jpg
    20141003_123550_resized.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20141003_123600_resized.jpg
    20141003_123600_resized.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 20141003_123555_resized.jpg
    20141003_123555_resized.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 20141003_123606_resized.jpg
    20141003_123606_resized.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 20141003_123615_resized.jpg
    20141003_123615_resized.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 166
Glad you're OK and I agree, the Crash guards are well worth having !

Probably your best investment, after a shop manual.
I usually drop my bike at least once a year, always at no/low speed, due to different circumstances (dirt roads, campsites, FORGETTING TO PUT THE SIDESTAND OUT,etc.
The bike never suffers, however, due to front and rear engine savers/roll bars.
Only my pride is hurt, but I use my advanced age as an excuse. Most everyone buys this!
The more this happens, the closer I am to my next mod - a custom sidecar. :eusa_dance: Almost looking forward to the time when I can start construction.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1020662.jpg
    P1020662.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 83
Glad you fared better than I did. I'm definitely going to get frame sliders because I hate the way engine guards look, but protecting the bike is for sure a priority after self protection with gear.

Try some JB Weld on the airhorn, sand it to contour and paint them. Maybe a mig session can build-up the crash bar/case-saver and the Supertrapp lip, and again you can sand/gring & paint them. The handlebar, I would use a pipe over the end of the handlebar, and w/forks at full-right lock, carefully bend the handlebar into the desired contour. Keep your $ in your pocket.

^ Good point FM.
The scoops can be sanded and polished and will look almost as good as new and the supertrapp can be tapped back into shape, sanded and painted to look like new.
And the crash bars can also be sanded and painted black to hide the blemishes.

I polished out my scoops years ago to hide a bit of rash and sanded and painted the crash guards black.
And I recently repaired a supertrapp that was in a LOT worse shape than JBD's.

Attachments

• Letchworth State Park Scenic View 4.jpg
    Letchworth State Park Scenic View 4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Letchworth State Park Scenic View 5.jpg
    Letchworth State Park Scenic View 5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Crushed-Supertrapp-1.jpg
    Crushed-Supertrapp-1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Supertrapp-Left-Side-Repaired-Installed-1.jpg
    Supertrapp-Left-Side-Repaired-Installed-1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 59
The guard can be straightened easily enough as has been mentioned but I probably have one I can trade you out for a small cost and i'll fix it and use it for one of our custom folding cruise peg conversions (or we can convert your pair too).

I don't remember if I have a really nice black/silver scoop on hand but can look if you want.

Sean

Thanks for the support all. I thought about trying to fix the handlebar but I wanted drag bars anyway so now this just gave me an excuse, and I found a cheap pair for on UFO's site (sorry Sean, your website didn't want to load the handlebar link).

I definitely plan on fixing the Supertrapp can at home, should be easy. I don't really have the tools to sand and polish aluminum on the scoop, but it would be nice vs. buying a new pair. It seems like buying a single scoop is almost more expensive. I can ask around if I can borrow some.

Sean, I had thought about trying to bend back the crash bars, but quite a bit is scraped off the end so I worry it would be a bit misshapen even if you sand and paint it black and get it bent back. I bought a pair of black drag bars, so I figure having matching black crash bars would be cool, do you do something like that? I'm not sure if I would need to fold out pegs, I find resting my feet on the bars themselves to be comfy enough when I need to stretch a bit.

-JBD

I usually drop my bike at least once a year, always at no/low speed, due to different circumstances (dirt roads, campsites, FORGETTING TO PUT THE SIDESTAND OUT,etc.
Only my pride is hurt, but I use my advanced age as an excuse. Most everyone buys this!
The more this happens, the closer I am to my next mod - a custom sidecar. :eusa_dance: Almost looking forward to the time when I can start construction.
Cheers!
The "skinny" Fankenmax!:punk:

Glad you fared better than I did. I'm definitely going to get frame sliders because I hate the way engine guards look, but protecting the bike is for sure a priority after self protection with gear.
I have sliders and IMO they will not protect the engine as much as the stockers would. Like you, I think the sliders look better.

The "skinny" Frankenmax!:punk:
Aye, Brian, but unfortunately still about 60 pounds heavier than stock
31.gif

Cheers!

I had that happen to me forgot to put the kick stand down and fell over.
I broke the bike fall, because it fell on me.

Man cool bike safe roll bars.

Back