This will be my carb cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Well I got the carbs off in no time but now I am going to rest tonight and maybe ask a few questions. I will use this thread as my carb cleaning thread and all my questions and pictures will be posted here.

I thank everyone of you who helps along the way.

Here is the baby..

baby.jpg

I guess the first question I have is do I take one carb off the rack and work on it and then put it back?
Or do you guys take them all apart.......please say No........lol

This is scaring the shit out of me, I just know that a 5 minute things is going to take me 5 hours and this will be a 4 day project.

I will need a lot of help guys.

Ron

You are already WAYYYY farther than I have ever been......and hopefully I'll never have to get there......

I'll be following this thread :worthy:

There's a very detailed tutorial in 6 parts in the "Carbs" forum from removal from the bike to re-assembly. Pretty much leaves no stone unturned, so I'd reference that as you foray into the mystical world of carburetor work.

What I need now is a how to on taking these carbs apart. I saw all the rebuild threads but the carbs are already taken apart.

Does anyone know of a thread that shows how to do what I am about to do??

So I need to clean the pilot jet, where is it located? I surely don't have to break down every carb as far as a rebuild do I ????:ummm:

You will need to at least need to split it into two sections...front cylinders are one bank, rear cylinders are the other bank. Once you pull the choke assembly and fuel lines, it will become easier and more obvious. There is a carb rebuild sticky that you can follow...6 threads I believe. VERY informative and great pics to follow.

Also, if you are doing a COMPLETE cleaning and rebuild, you will need to separate all four carbs. The trick there is to mark each one with a sharpy marker so you know which carb is which. I personally use four separate bins to keep all carbs and their respective parts together. Just realize that the carb cleaner will remove the sharpie mark, so pay attention...LOL

Overall, this is not as scary as it seems. TAKE YOUR TIME, keep everything together in a CLEAN location, and follow the sticky threads in the carb section.

One thing to pay careful attention to..... As you remove the choke linkages, PAY ATTENTION to the where each piece goes before removing it. Not anything major, but it can be confusing when you start to reassemble if you've never done it before.

Also, keep up with the tiny e-clips...LIL mofos like to get lost easily.

One thing to pay careful attention to..... As you remove the choke linkages, PAY ATTENTION to the where each piece goes before removing it. Not anything major, but it can be confusing when you start to reassemble if you've never done it before.

Also, keep up with the tiny e-clips...LIL mofos like to get lost easily.

The carb rebuild threads will do me no good at all.......There is no way in hell I am breaking down my carbs that far.. No not going to do it I just looked at them and they scare the shit out of me.

Call me a chicken but a email going off to Sean now.. and I will ship them to him and pay him to do it..

No shame in that bro. Better to do that than you ending up with four half - disassembled carbs and no running bike.

No shame in that bro. Better to do that than you ending up with four half - disassembled carbs and no running bike.

A man has to know his limits and this one does..........lol

I will gladly pay Sean to do this for me...

I can't say I blame you.......

In my opinion carbs, microwave ovens and automatic transmissions are nothing but black magic and voodoo.....:confused2:

Ron, it's easier then you think. You see the two big brackets (kind of u-shaped) and 4 screws holding each. Take both of those off. There is a linkage bar connecting the front and rear carb pairs. Take the clip off of one side and the white plastic washer. Then pull it to the side and get it loose from that stud. With the carbs upside down you will see one side is easy to get to. Do that one.

Then the choke linkage is pulled loose from the opposite end (opposite of the lever). You are taking off the tiny c-clip from there and pull it out of that.

Finally, you will pull the fuel line loose from the front to rear carb area (looks like a "T" line). That's it to get them in pairs.

Once that's done we'll go forward from there. Should take you 30 minutes tops.

Sean

Ron, it's easier then you think. You see the two big brackets (kind of u-shaped) and 4 screws holding each. Take both of those off. There is a linkage bar connecting the front and rear carb pairs. Take the clip off of one side and the white plastic washer. Then pull it to the side and get it loose from that stud. With the carbs upside down you will see one side is easy to get to. Do that one.

Then the choke linkage is pulled loose from the opposite end (opposite of the lever). You are taking off the tiny c-clip from there and pull it out of that.

Finally, you will pull the fuel line loose from the front to rear carb area (looks like a "T" line). That's it to get them in pairs.

Once that's done we'll go forward from there. Should take you 30 minutes tops.

Sean

Sean I do not feel comfortable doing this, I'd feel better if you could see what they are doing.. I also think they are all messed up as far as a/f mixtures

I need someone qualified to do this I can't and don't want to do this. Please email me and I can send them in tomorrow. There is something else I want to tell you about them but I'll wait for your email

Ron

I don't have time at the moment but I posted a complete pictorial on splitting the rack and opening up the carbs. You will probably have to use the Advanced search using my posting name as the search parameter.

Thanks Buster but I am going to have Sean do the work for me if he will and I am going to have him do some other work on the carbs at the same time.

I appreciate you trying to help me but I know my limits and like I said I have other work that needs to be done.

I'm waiting for a email from Sean.

Ron

We can't set your carbs up to your bike without having your bike. Many times it will run just fine with the adjustments we set them up with but sometimes they will need fine tuning to get setup correctly. The addition of a jet kit can only increase the tuning needed. Again, we will try to get it right the first setup but many times they need more adjustments since every engine is different.

I flew to Florida not all that long ago to help get a bike setup and it ran great when I left. BUT, not long after he was having some more tuning problems. We worked with the customer over the phone (and on here) and he did his own tuning and even more detailed work on the carbs. He was much like yourself as far as no tools or experience with these carbs. He had a lot of questions and some wrong turns but in the end he got the problem solved and is now able to do the work all by himself with confidence.

I feel you can do the same. You didn't even want to take the carbs off yourself last year but necessity made you do it and now I think you don't have much problems getting it done. Same thing here. Just another step in the process that once you do it you'll be confident in yourself if it every comes up again.

Maybe I need to do another self help video on it.

Sean

Thanks Buster but I am going to have Sean do the work for me if he will and I am going to have him do some other work on the carbs at the same time.

I appreciate you trying to help me but I know my limits and like I said I have other work that needs to be done.

I'm waiting for a email from Sean.

Ron

I have a simple tear down with pic's standing by Ron, send me your home email and i'll send it. Print it out, read it a few times and take your time, you'll see its not that hard.
Kenny

Edit: I'm off to work so I'll send it after 3:00 PST.

I have a simple tear down with pic's standing by Ron, send me your home email and i'll send it. Print it out, read it a few times and take your time, you'll see its not that hard.
Kenny

Edit: I'm off to work so I'll send it after 3:00 PST.

You should also post it in the How To section. :punk:

We can't set your carbs up to your bike without having your bike. Many times it will run just fine with the adjustments we set them up with but sometimes they will need fine tuning to get setup correctly. The addition of a jet kit can only increase the tuning needed. Again, we will try to get it right the first setup but many times they need more adjustments since every engine is different.

I flew to Florida not all that long ago to help get a bike setup and it ran great when I left. BUT, not long after he was having some more tuning problems. We worked with the customer over the phone (and on here) and he did his own tuning and even more detailed work on the carbs. He was much like yourself as far as no tools or experience with these carbs. He had a lot of questions and some wrong turns but in the end he got the problem solved and is now able to do the work all by himself with confidence.

I feel you can do the same. You didn't even want to take the carbs off yourself last year but necessity made you do it and now I think you don't have much problems getting it done. Same thing here. Just another step in the process that once you do it you'll be confident in yourself if it every comes up again.

Maybe I need to do another self help video on it.

Sean

Sean,
We just spoke on the phone but I wanted to reply so the others know what is going on. As we talked about I am sending you my carbs and having you install your kit. Once I get them back I feel I can make the adjustments needed to the kit if any is needed. It's tearing the carbs apart that worry me. I agree a How to on this would be great, your other videos are very good and easy to understand so I agree with Buster !! a video on installing your kit might make more people more comfortable do it themselves also.

I'm not rich in money but I like to think i'm smart and me not digging into my carbs is a smart move I know for sure. I do however plan to keep my eyes open on Ebay for another set of carbs to practice on and I will do that soon. Bottom line is I would rather pay Sean than take the risk myself no matter how easy it may turn out for me this time.

Kenny...... I appreciate your willingness to help me but I think sending them in to Sean would be much less stressful for me......lol

Ron

I think what you're doing is the right thing Ron.

Sean, I know you know what you're doing but I'd try a 152 main with the stock needle shimmed one up and stage 7 springs with stock slide hole. This works VERY well on my '06 with the same setup he has.

It's just a thought. I'd keep it as simple as possible for him. No disrespect Ron.

Chris

Latest posts

Back