Throttle travel...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
So.. is there a way to lower the amount the throttle turns from base to WOT?

I'm pretty sure for other bikes (such as the sv650), they make "gears" so the amount the throttle turns is less.

I haven't taken apart where the throttle cables link in to the grip but from my understanding its basically just a disk that the cables mount on in two separate places and if you make the disk bigger, it will decrease the amount you have to turn.

From other bikes i've ridden it seems the v-max throttle distance is a bit longer (longer turn from base to WOT).

anyways i did some searching on google and on this forum and didn't see much. anyone done anything like this? :ummm:

Thanks in advance!

So.. is there a way to lower the amount the throttle turns from base to WOT?

I'm pretty sure for other bikes (such as the sv650), they make "gears" so the amount the throttle turns is less.

I haven't taken apart where the throttle cables link in to the grip but from my understanding its basically just a disk that the cables mount on in two separate places and if you make the disk bigger, it will decrease the amount you have to turn.

From other bikes i've ridden it seems the v-max throttle distance is a bit longer (longer turn from base to WOT).

anyways i did some searching on google and on this forum and didn't see much. anyone done anything like this? :ummm:

Thanks in advance!

Do a search using 1/4 turn throttle or qaurter turn throttle..
I dont know why you would want this on a street bike but it can be done usually on dragbikes for quicker response.
Checkout Motion Pro I believe they make them..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1%2F4+turn+throttle&aq=f&oq=

Do a search using 1/4 turn throttle or qaurter turn throttle..
I dont know why you would want this on a street bike but it can be done usually on dragbikes for quicker response.
Checkout Motion Pro I believe they make them..

Thanks lankee...

I'll take a look. Not sure i'd want to yet but i feel like the travel on a 'max is much more than other bikes. Feel like i'd be more comfortable with a shorter one.. but i dunno just tossing ideas out there at this point...

Thanks lankee...

I'll take a look. Not sure i'd want to yet but i feel like the travel on a 'max is much more than other bikes. Feel like i'd be more comfortable with a shorter one.. but i dunno just tossing ideas out there at this point...

Dont forget also if you reduce the turn travel this will increase the physical amount of effort also to turn the throttle. You may want to goto a 1/2 turn throttle..
Again this will take away from the throttle control in traffic / street riding, but the VMAX isnt real throttle jerky to begin with such as a high reving inline 4 cyl ,

Dont forget also if you reduce the turn travel this will increase the physical amount of effort also to turn the throttle. You may want to goto a 1/2 turn throttle..
Again this will take away from the throttle control in traffic / street riding, but the VMAX isnt real throttle jerky to begin with such as a high reving inline 4 cyl ,

Thanks again i'll keep looking...

motionpro doesn't seem to have much..

http://www.motionpro.com/search/index_new.php?year=2003&brand=Yamaha&model=VMX+12&product=All

any other sites/company ideas?

Thanks again i'll keep looking...

motionpro doesn't seem to have much..

http://www.motionpro.com/search/index_new.php?year=2003&brand=Yamaha&model=VMX+12&product=All

any other sites/company ideas?

Oh, didnt realize you were looking for a a quick 1/4 turn throttle specifically made for the VMAX that isnt going to happen...
Your going to have to make it which will include modifying.. I dont think you want to take this route..

No Such thing as a 1/4 turn throttle made for just a VMAX why would anyone take the time for R&D to maybe sell just one to you..

Oh, didnt realize you were looking for a a quick 1/4 turn throttle specifically made for the VMAX that isnt going to happen...
Your going to have to make it which will include modifying.. I dont think you want to take this route..

No Such thing as a 1/4 turn throttle made for just a VMAX why would anyone take the time for R&D to maybe sell just one to you..

Exactly why I was asking the fine people here. ya all know a lot more about whats out there than me. Like i said, i think they're out there for some bikes, such as the SV (and will fit with the stock setup), thought maybe they were for the V-Max.

Lankee.. thanks again man for the quick replies...

I looked into this as well. Common mod on GSXR's and Busa's/ZX-14's is to pickup a throttle tube from a 02-03 R1. Does'nt make it a 1/4 turn, but its better than the stk GSXR/Busa/ZX. I picked one up the other day and just pulled my stk throttle tube from my 89 V-max...they are EXACTALLY THE SAME! I mean IDENTICAL. So, no help there. Only good thing is that the 89 V-max throttle tube is white and the R1 was black. Looks a lil better...at least where you can see it(between the grip and throttle housing).

I looked into this as well. Common mod on GSXR's and Busa's/ZX-14's is to pickup a throttle tube from a 02-03 R1. Does'nt make it a 1/4 turn, but its better than the stk GSXR/Busa/ZX. I picked one up the other day and just pulled my stk throttle tube from my 89 V-max...they are EXACTALLY THE SAME! I mean IDENTICAL. So, no help there. Only good thing is that the 89 V-max throttle tube is white and the R1 was black. Looks a lil better...at least where you can see it(between the grip and throttle housing).

Good to know.

Did you buy a used R1 tube? or new?

New. Was only $9 or so and came with the grip(which i did'nt need)

cool.. something to keep in mind if i ever wanted to change colors i guess.. but other than that doesn't look like it helps functionally...

thanks man anyways

Do you own an SV? :ummm:

haha no, but they are my second favorite bike...

one day i'd love to get an '03 sv1000n.

i just got my buddy a sv650 for his first bike and in doing research on them i found a couple people who had done that mod to theirs and listed it in their listings on the bike...

Why don't you just turn the entire assembly upwards?or get some polymorph plastic and make /modify the throttle inner to make it bigger.Kevman

Here's a way you can do this yourself. I doubt it goes down to quite 1/4 turn, but it will make it quicker. I don't remember where I snagged this information anymore or I'd give credit. I've considered trying it, but haven't yet. It doesn't look too difficult. I think if I ever try it, I'd make it a progressive rate increase, the more the throttle is opened, the quicker it gets.

Take a 1" PVC fitting (not the tubing) and cut a 1/4" slice off it. Then cut a piece out of that (see photo). Taper the ends to make a smooth transition for the cable. Slip it on the throttle tube and check the fit (photos 2&3). You will need to use a Dremel in the throttle housing halves at two points to make room for the larger diameter tube (sorry, no pics on that yet). Adjust both cables, at both ends, to the loosest setting and install the throttle tube. Check to make sure nothing is rubbing in the housing. Now adjust the cables for proper slack.

Attachments

• pvc1.jpg
    pvc1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 11
  • pvc2.JPG
    pvc2.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 12
  • pvc3.JPG
    pvc3.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 12
I spoke to a salesman at motion pro 2 weeks ago. he said they are in the process of making a custom variable throttle assembly. when i say custom, i mean you will be able to order to your custom specs. about 180.00. this is in the works, not a for sure thing.

there are some other variable options out there. they are grips that come with three interchangeable cams. i'll see if i can find them.

Latest posts

Back