Today's informal gear survey

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out for a fairly long walk today (about 6 mi) here in Plano (Dallas suburb) I kept track of the number of bikes that passed me, and the gear the riders were wearing. (I know, but jeez it's boring...gotta have something to do besides the iPod.)

While walking, temps today in Dallas were in the low 80's. Sunny to partly cloudy. All in all, a beautiful day.

Of the 27 bikes that passed me, only three (3) were wearing any sort of jacket. 24/27 were riding in just a shirt, with only two even being in long sleeves. The rest were in tshirts. Helmet use varied, but more were without helmets than were with.

To each his own, but I was really surprised that almost 90% had dumped their jackets already, as it's not even really hot here yet. It was midday, so most of the folks were commuters, I guess. Not much spirited riding going on, just to and from lunch/work or whatever.

Is there a higher percentage of folks here that wear mesh/textile or suffer through their leathers in the summer? The only time I go sans jacket is when I'm warming up the chain in my neighborhood before lubing...other than that, I've got something on.

You?

ATGATT Right?
I believe in it but I don't practice it. Kinda like the whole church thing, LOL

Anyways, not bragging because I know its not safe, but here is my setup.
Leg Protection: Jeans, preferably without holes
Torso Protection: T-shirt if warm enuff. If not a hooded sweatshirt or two or three or whatever it takes
Foot Protection: Leather boots, Wolverines, The same ones I work in 10+ hrs/day
Head Protection: Helmet, half style, skid lid, POS-it tries to fly off my head at speed in effect choking me. I need something that stays put.
Eye protection: not sure of the brand but they are just cheap shades from a local shop, they are yellow tinted. I refer to them as "tweaker shades" Seems to be the favorite choice of eyewear for shady characters that are really skinny and sell drugs (not me, I'm just stereotyping, sorry). I like them cause they work for the day and night time. I don't have to switch from dark to clear if I'm gone all day.
Hand protection: nothing if temps above 60, If below 60 I have a few pairs of work type gloves that i wear, or mechanix gloves.

I know this is a bad move. I know if I go down, I'm probably gonna pay. I did wreck pretty good once. It'll be 8 years in August. But that's a WHOLE 'nother story. Only thing that would have helped me on that one was a motocross style chest protector or a suit of armor.

Head--full coverage helmet (I'm scatter-brained enough as it is).
Hands--leather gloves (mesh backs for warm weather).
Feet--over the ankle boots.
Legs--jeans at the least, armored riding pants when it's cool enough.
Torso--mesh armored jacket, liner removed when it's warm.

It doesn't matter how good a rider you are, a bad driver can have you eating the 'crete. If I hit the deck, it won't be on bare skin--not for the first 50 feet or so.

Riding a cycle is like walking a tight rope. It doesn't matter how many times you've done it, the first time you fall your life will probably change significantly. What you're wearing can make the difference between bad and horrible.

In the end, like Jayhawk said, to each his own.

Always a full face helmet; kinda like my teeth, brain and face just how they are. Always gloves and long pants. However, I'm usually in either t-shirts or hoodies and when it's warm I usually have on tennis shoes (I'm shoe shopping right now). I feel good enough about it....

Out for a fairly long walk today (about 6 mi) here in Plano (Dallas suburb) I kept track of the number of bikes that passed me, and the gear the riders were wearing. (I know, but jeez it's boring...gotta have something to do besides the iPod.)

Damn....you need to find yourself a walking partner, someone you can hold a conversation with! lol

I usually ride with tennis shoes, jeans, a shirt (long sleeve or short sleeve depending on the temperature, and a jacket if I know it'll be colder before I get home.

Full face helmet.....I mean after all, I paid some buckage for it.....might as well use it.
Leather boots, varies with what job I'm going to of if I'm out playing. Have several pairs....rotate them. Diabetic, have to keep my feet looked after.
Leather gloves....full fingered. Damn near lost a finger one time from some dipwad's rock flying out of the bed of his truck. Ever since, won't ride without them.
Leather jacket.....even if it's hot. I will infrequently wear a leather vest, but never for long distance rides.
Depends on where I'm going what pants I wear. Always long leg....never shorts. Most of the time it's uniform pants....either military or police.
I do have a half helmet that I wear infrequently when it's very hot out. I never go on the interstate if I'm wearing the shorty.
At night I wrap a traffic vest around my barrel bag so traffic from behind can see me better. Was thinking of riveting some reflectors on the backs of my saddlebags for a more permanent solution. Mr. Max is kind of hard to see at night.

Ride safe my friends.

Full face Shoei
Leather riding boots, allthough I have been known
to wear tennis shoes as I ride the bike to work.
Textile Mesh riding jacket with armor.
Mesh gloves
Been down before and It wasn't fun.
Now it's ATGATT !

Full face Vemar, clear shield, and impact resistant sunglasses.
Leather Jacket: I wear it ALL the time, even going to work 2.5 miles away.
Riding boots, Alpinestars Ridge waterproof or full leather heavy soled hiking boots if I ride to work.
Leather gloves, normally wear Power Trip grand nationals, I also have Alpinestars Storm rider goretex for cold/ wet riding, and older pair of Joe rocket stage one for hot weather.
Pants are normally jeans or for work I wear Carhart carpenter pants. I am going to buy Tourmaster Caliber as soon as I can afford them.
I also have a Tourmaster two piece rain suit.
The weather here doesn't get really hot normally. High 90's is a rarity, mid 80's the norm. We are surrounded by large bodies of water that keep the temps down but humidity up. Most of the largest population areas in eastern Canada are south of where I live. :biglaugh:

Shoei full face
Mech armor jacket/Insert for cold weather
Icon riding boots
riding gloves with armor knuckles
Jeans for the legs
:punk:

seems not many people wear leg protection. I am going full leater / armor jacket - shoei full face helm, armor gloves, armor boots.
I will likely go w/ the best non-leather pants I can find. Something comfortable.

Gonna be hot, I know - but skin grafts suck.
________
hot box vaporizers

Last edited:
I always wear my HJC AC-11 helmet(full face), my Rev It jacket(leather w/ armor), and jeans. Often wear Harley gloves(my dad told me previously they were the best gloves he ever wore, so he got me a pair for xmas). And I wear everyday shoes while riding.

I have my Schuberth full-face on 90% of the time, rarely I ride without when popping down to the shops or similar.

In FL it's bloody hot, but I still wear my mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor, high leather boots, and mesh summer gloves.

When it rains I have goretex gloves, and a 2-piece rain suit, basically jacket and pants.

My weak area is the legs, it's way too hot for leather, so usually jeans or cargo pants, and I know they wouldn't survive 3 feet of road rash..

As a riding reminder please ASSUME you are going to get cut off whenever there is a yielding green light on the other side of the road and ride accordingly..especially when light turns yellow..guys will try to make the light..nearly got nailed last night..drive defensively at lights and give yourself as much manuevering room as possible

seems not many people wear leg protection. I am going full leater / armor jacket - shoei full face helm, armor gloves, armor boots.
I will likely go w/ the best non-leather pants I can find. Something comfortable.

Ya i agree. Not many ppl thank about leg protection. This is one of the guys that rides around here. after seeing this I am thanking about a pair of kevlar pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ieLNt7jZLs

Warning: This video gets kinda graphic.

Is there a higher percentage of folks here that wear mesh/textile or suffer through their leathers in the summer? The only time I go sans jacket is when I'm warming up the chain in my neighborhood before lubing...other than that, I've got something on.

You?

Head--full face helmet (Relative in hospital for brain damaged folks).
Hands--mesh gloves except when real hot in Florida.
Feet--over the ankle lace up boots.
Legs--jeans.
Upper body--Leather jacket

I asked my Son yesterday "what do you call motorcycle riders who do not wear helmets?" he said: "Stupid?" I said maybe that, but "I" call them "organ donors" He winced but saw the truth in it.

Gary

Tourmaster offers the dsx jeans that are reinforced in knee and
hip area I believe and has ce knee armor also.
Runs $99 bucks on the net, thinking about getting some
after I replace my brake pads.

I have some first gear ht overpants that have full winter liner
and reinforced padded knees. Waterproof but no vents so
to hot in the summer. Looking for some DSX jeans for summer.

I took a trip to my local Moto Liberty store and picked up some Draggin' Jeans yesterday. Pretty comfy, though a bit more warm than standard jeans. Also got their knee armor. Seeing the road rash video posted above the other day was enough for me. Yuck.

Back