Trailer bargain on Ebay

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:biglaugh: I think your right, Keith! You have to have a second person to steer the car, while the bike pushes it!
You guys have it all wrong, this contraption is made for the bike to push the suv in emergency situations, although steering may be a bit rough.

***CautionNOTE*** (someone can email him if they want).

With that setup the rear wheel is obviously turning. The pumpkin lubricates by the gear passing through a pool of fluid and should survive ok even though the angle will reduce the lubrication to the front bearing.

BUT, the shaft is still turning the output bearings and secondary tranmission. These bearings are designed to run with pressurized oiling. Without the engine running to keep oil pressure up this can damage those bearings requiring expensive transmission repair.

Sure they can handle some loads and some time running "dry" but they were not designed for it and will wear prematurely. No one can know for sure how long that would be without extensive testing. Who wants to volunteer 10 motorcycles (the minimum I would say) for a proper test to determine what the failure amount is?

Sean

Didnt think of that! It does make since... Sometimes good ideas are not so good!

If your truck (and tow bar) can handle 600+ Lbs (most are rated at 500).

Sean

There was a thread a while back on this type of towing. It warns against it in the owner's manual.

Do not coast for long periods with the engine off, and do not tow the motorcycle a long distance. Even with the gears in neutral, the transmission is only properly lubricated when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission.

Sean, are you talking long distance or how would it be as a emergency breakdown option. I was just looking at it for local breakdowns, say 10-20 miles. But from what your saying we should leave this one for the belt and chain bikes.

If your truck (and tow bar) can handle 600+ Lbs (most are rated at 500).

Sean

That's why I mentioned using another receiver hitch box to support the load, too. I think those carriers are a great idea for a dirtbike or maybe a twin, obviously not a Big Twin (pig iron).

I'm not sure how far i'd say it's safe to tow it? There is a little oil stored back there and may splash up and lube some of the parts. Plus, being at an angle like that may also shift more oil back in that area helping it some more.

Sean

harbor freight sells trailers for like $350. probably a better choice.

Latest posts

Back