Trouble in Paradise - Running like Carp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Guys, you haven't heard much from me, but the Max has been running well and is (for now) modded the way I want it.

But, now I actually need to do something besides normal maintenance. Today on the way home from work after a VERY spirited run up through 4 gears, suddenly the bike is running on like 3 cylinders. This is nothing I haven't done a couple of hundred times, but today I might have sucked something into a carb or something.

Of course, it got me home and I've pulled everything off the top of the carbs in preparation for analysis and treatment tomorrow (Saturday).

My question is this: Can I assume that since this came on after that blast that it's a fueling issue rather than ignition? Is there a quick way to check? All four pipes seemed equally hot when I got home, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not an ignition problem, does it?

Is it time for Ye ole' Shotgun?

Sounds exactly like what happened to me....................Let me know what you find..................

Think I would go ahead and do the shotgun before getting to far into the 'lectrical. Your reference to "a spirited run" would suggest something may be fishy in the idle circuits. :biglaugh:

Similar thing happened to me on my 06 last year. I did the K.I.S.S. method. Dumped seafoam in the tank and went for a long ride. All was fine after that.

first thing i would do when something like that happens is ride it hard, see if it blows thru. if it gets worse or not better after 1/2 tank or so then start ripping it apart.

Running like Carp?

Something smells fishy to me.....

carp-20524.jpg

Running like Carp?

Something smells fishy to me.....

carp-20524.jpg

:rofl_200: ROFLMFAO...

You guys rock. That was an intentional misspelling. I belong to other forums in which that sort of spelling gets bleeped by the software nanny.

For a minute, I forgot where I was. I'm OK now.

As for the helpful advice, I like one thing I heard, basically twice:

KISS - treat the gas and/or run it like heck for a bit.

Truthfully, I did that on the way home with the same thing in mind - that whatever went in might go right on out. So far, no joy.

Since I have the airbox off, any reason I shouldn't spray the scheidt out of the carb throats in a vain attempt to help dislodge any debris? Think I'll go ahead and do that now and button it up for a blast with fingers crossed.

I'll be sure and keep this thread alive until the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Darrell

When did you last change the fuel filter?

Would also be worthwhile having a peep into the bottom of the tank to see if there is any debris that could get sucked up.

Also drain the float chambers to see what carp come out.

I would venture to say that spraying down the carb throats would serve little or no porpoise and would almost be a waste of carb cleaner. If it did work, it would probably be just a fluke. As mentioned above, most likely whatever little bit of Carp is in the carb is probably in one of the idle circuits.

Does the bike run well when you are up at highway speeds, crusing down the pike and like Carp on decel and idle? That would almost be a dead giveaway.
If it runs like Carp all of the time, then I would check the fuel and fuel filter (fuel starvation issue). This might be something good to for the halibut if you haven't done it in awhile, it should only take you a couple of minnows once you have the part.

If you have things torn apart down to the airbox already, I would go the rest of the way and give the shotgun a try.

If after all of this you are still having issues, drop us a line and I am sure someone can hook you up with more advise

I would venture to say that spraying down the carb throats would serve little or no porpoise and would almost be a waste of carb cleaner. If it did work, it would probably be just a fluke. As mentioned above, most likely whatever little bit of Carp is in the carb is probably in one of the idle circuits.

Does the bike run well when you are up at highway speeds, crusing down the pike and like Carp on decel and idle? That would almost be a dead giveaway.
If it runs like Carp all of the time, then I would check the fuel and fuel filter (fuel starvation issue). This might be something good to for the halibut if you haven't done it in awhile, it should only take you a couple of minnows once you have the part.

If you have things torn apart down to the airbox already, I would go the rest of the way and give the shotgun a try.

If after all of this you are still having issues, drop us a line and I am sure someone can hook you up with more advise

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:Good!!

I was all over this with ".....something fishy in the idle circuits" but I guess nobody caught it!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

If you flounder around a bit , let us know what you've tried and w-eel proceed from there. :rofl_200:

I totally agree, we're at least a 9 on the scale of 1 - 10 and will have you flying down the pike in no time!! Perhaps even a tail wag as you cross the fin...ish line! :rofl_200:

Well, I'm awake now and just checked in before heading out to start. Now once I fin-ish laughing my bass off, I can get started.

You guys would do well in that "other" forum that automatically bleeps suspect language. It would be a riot.

Oh, and Redline, it's definitely not the idle circuits. Runs fine at idle, but carp as the revs rise.

I'll be back...

Check and adjust your float levels for all four carbs. Ive seen a few guys buy a new max and after a few months/years it starts to run like its got a miss, and or starving for fuel on 1 cyl. The factory sets the float levels fairly low, and sometimes a hard run through the gears is all it takes to develop this problem.

You can check your fuel levels using some clear tubing and a screwdriver as per the manual. Hope you get it sorted :)

New fuel filter and Seafoam in tank. Took a 20 minute ride and couldn't stand any more.

Carp.

Seems to run better with partial choke applied. Still pointing to a fueling problem, but across the board as in all cylinders - not one - which presumably is what the shotgun would fix. Almost as though I might have a pressure issue...fuel pump?

I'll be doing the ole shotgun later this afternoon. Domestic obligations need to be met...:bang head:

New fuel filter and Seafoam in tank. Took a 20 minute ride and couldn't stand any more.

Carp.

Seems to run better with partial choke applied. Still pointing to a fueling problem, but across the board as in all cylinders - not one - which presumably is what the shotgun would fix. Almost as though I might have a pressure issue...fuel pump?

I'll be doing the ole shotgun later this afternoon. Domestic obligations need to be met...:bang head:

more choke tells us def an idle circuit.

I was all over this with ".....something fishy in the idle circuits" but I guess nobody caught it!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

This forum evolves Dano!

First we've had CHAINS IN THE CARBS and they were giving additional 20HP.
No we have some CARP IN THE CARBS but I wonder how much more power we get!
:rofl_200:

What next? CRAB IN THE CARBS?

I don't think anyone want to tell any crab stories!!

I was all over this with ".....something fishy in the idle circuits" but I guess nobody caught it!! :rofl_

This forum evolves Dano!

First we've had CHAINS IN THE CARBS and they were giving additional 20HP.
No we have some CARP IN THE CARBS but I wonder how much more power we get!
:rofl_200:

What next? CRAB IN THE CARBS?

Back