Trust the dealer to do the valves?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Anybody here think it's a good idea to let the dealer do my valve job?

It looks like it's going to be a little over 400 for labor/parts.

They even offered to pick my bike up with this crumby weather!

Let me know...

HDKILA, I would do it yourself. It's about $30 for the "J" tool and 40-45 for the valve gaskets. Ask around to see if you can swap shims. Will also need oil and coolant drained and changed. The rest is your labor. It's a bit time consuming but very easy if you take your time. It's the perfect winter project.

This is not a simple job, of removing the heads, you basically have to pull the engine, trust me its a job and a half.

Also setting the cam timing on the double over head cams is a lil tricky the first time, and if you mess it up you will bend valves, or if you dont get it right the first time its a bitch to pull the valve covers to do the timing over again.. Its up to and how you feel with it.
Trust me its a bitch to work on a VMAX engine. I have done it many of times and hate it each time I roll my sleeves up.

Ohh my bad after reading your update on the compression check.. when you said Valve Job I thought you meant a "Valve Job" valves seats guides seals etc.......

Yeah a valve adjustment,,,, Its still a bitch even more so if you have chubby fingers, and they arent as flexible as they were when you were younger....

I hate VLAVE SHIMS, I wish all motorcycles used adjustable rocker arms:bang head:

Ohh my bad after reading your update on the compression check.. when you said Valve Job I thought you meant a "Valve Job" valves seats guides seals etc.......

Yeah a valve adjustment,,,, Its still a bitch even more so if you have chubby fingers, and they arent as flexible as they were when you were younger....

I hate VLAVE SHIMS, I wish all motorcycles used adjustable rocker arms:bang head:

It's not really the work i'm worried about doing myself...it's IF the dealer can actually doit correctly.

Do it yourself. Take your time. Use your resources (this forum). All this equals no worries.:biglaugh: But if you do not have the time, love to ride not turn wrenches type off person...then find someone you absolutely positively know will do the job right.:clapping: Don't get on a forum asking if you should trust a dealer we know nothing about. If you are going to have any kind of service job done on anything you own, thoroughly background check the service provider you are going to use. Do it now or pay for it later...monetarily and mentally.:bang head:

Good Luck:punk:

If you are going to have any kind of service job done on anything you own, thoroughly background check the service provider you are going to use. Do it now or pay for it later...monetarily and mentally.:bang head:

+1 on the dealer part. some dealers are good. do your research and decide from there.

There are certain things I won't do, but am becoming more comfortable with this forum, this is one of those things i think i'd let a dealer do. but def do your research first, and remember my opinion is one of those that may be less mechanically inclined....

The Max is so tight. The stealership always nicked up my paint. Never again!

Get the clymer manual and go for it.

Do it yourself. Take your time. Use your resources (this forum). All this equals no worries.:biglaugh: But if you do not have the time, love to ride not turn wrenches type off person...then find someone you absolutely positively know will do the job right.:clapping: Don't get on a forum asking if you should trust a dealer we know nothing about. If you are going to have any kind of service job done on anything you own, thoroughly background check the service provider you are going to use. Do it now or pay for it later...monetarily and mentally.:bang head:

Other than the better business bureau how else are you checking out the local dealers?

As they say "If you want it done right do it yourself"

How in hell can we tell you your dealer (name not even mentioned) is trustworthy?:confused2:

You can ride your bike to Daytona Beach and have Joe do it at Boxxenstopp, I will vouge for his qaulity of work and knowledge of the VMAX...

Word of mouth...

BBB motorcycle mechanic :rofl_200:

I wouldn't let my dealer fill my bikes with gas let alone monkey with my engine!:damn angry:

Other than the better business bureau how else are you checking out the local dealers?

stand outside the service door at the shop and ask every person that comes out what they think of the place, i.e. what they have done their, how long they have been using the shops services, a name of the best mechanic on site etc etc. seriously, i thought it was a stupid thing to do and didn't feel comfy walking up to total strangers asking all kinds of questions but you have to! if you are going to spend the money then ask the questions first...i don't know why people (including myself) don't/didn't know how to attain information. find some bike guys hanging out on a weekend and ask them all kinds of questions about worthy mechanics. don't go out there info-less and go f*ckin yourself over. the info is out there, it takes a lot less time to find it then dealing with an idiot at the dealership or doing the work your self. when you find the right mechanic from great word of mouth don't hesitate to grill him/her (tactfully mind you). Get a list of questions together and don't leave until all of them are answered. Price, time, contact numbers/e-mails....get EVERYTHING IN WRITING WITH SIGNATURES. Believe me I am one for a backyard mechanic (thats what i do) and going paperless..there are still good ole' boys out there....just be careful. here's to killin HD's :punk:

p.s.
I will never use a dealer for anything. Jap dealers don't treat the good mechanics they get very well....usually its the idiots they care to afford.

I wouldn't let my dealer fill my bikes with gas let alone monkey with my engine!:damn angry:

The onlything I goto the dealer for is if I need an OEM part which most of the times I goto the internet such as Bike Bandit to get.. But the service work I have to let them do is install and high speed balance my tires and they manage to screw that up if not chipping the paint on the rim or installing the tire backwards I could only imagine how they would Fu*K up a valve adjustment,, Heads would be rolling!

So your telling me your not a psychic?

You better tell mark to stop spreading those rumors...:clapping:

Well Mark feeds me these secret burritos that has float adjusting potion which makes me a psyhic, but its a secret though so dont tell

Back