turn signal problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
wondering if anyone can give me an idea on how to go about fixing this problem...

sitting on the bike the left front and rear signals work fine.
the right front has a rapid flash and the right rear doesn't work at all.
I checked the bulbs and they are good.
I disconnected the rear signal and used a good working stock signal and that wont work either, so I know its not a bad signal.
I tried looking at the wire to see if there is a short somewhere but couldn't find anything.
it was working fine when I parked the bike in the fall.
any ideas?

wondering if anyone can give me an idea on how to go about fixing this problem...

sitting on the bike the left front and rear signals work fine.
the right front has a rapid flash and the right rear doesn't work at all.
I checked the bulbs and they are good.
I disconnected the rear signal and used a good working stock signal and that wont work either, so I know its not a bad signal.
I tried looking at the wire to see if there is a short somewhere but couldn't find anything.
it was working fine when I parked the bike in the fall.
any ideas?

Bill,
Sounds like no power getting to the rear bulb. Take a test light (cheap at store if you don't have one) and probe the connection in the bottom of the socket with the bulb removed, key on & right signal switch set to be flashing (there will be two in the front lights cause one will be for the running element) and keep following the wire heading back to the fuse until you do find power. Prob a bad connector or something.

You could also test it where the turnsignal connects to the main wiring loom. I've had issues there and with a little cleaning of the connection and using a little dielectric grease to seal it up. You may want to squeeze the female side to make a tighter connection.
(I know I know, that's what he said. :biglaugh:)

Most of the time those problems originate in the bulb holder.

Check that the inner earth surface the bulb screws into isn't corroded,
check the bit that connects to the bulb's ass tip isn't corroded
lubricate both with dialectric grease (amazing that stuff)
make sure the spring action of + tip is good
lastly check the wire connection into the + tip, might need cutting / resoldering.

To make sure it isn't any of the above you can simply connect on of the other blinker's assembly to the offending one - if it works it's the blinker, if it doesn't it's the wiring or relay.

You could also test it where the turnsignal connects to the main wiring loom. I've had issues there and with a little cleaning of the connection and using a little dielectric grease to seal it up. You may want to squeeze the female side to make a tighter connection.
(I know I know, that's what he said. :biglaugh:)

I played with that connection for a while with no success, story of my life..ha

Bill,
Sounds like no power getting to the rear bulb. Take a test light (cheap at store if you don't have one) and probe the connection in the bottom of the socket with the bulb removed, key on & right signal switch set to be flashing (there will be two in the front lights cause one will be for the running element) and keep following the wire heading back to the fuse until you do find power. Prob a bad connector or something.

a multi meter should work huh?

Most of the time those problems originate in the bulb holder.

Check that the inner earth surface the bulb screws into isn't corroded,
check the bit that connects to the bulb's ass tip isn't corroded
lubricate both with dialectric grease (amazing that stuff)
make sure the spring action of + tip is good
lastly check the wire connection into the + tip, might need cutting / resoldering.

To make sure it isn't any of the above you can simply connect on of the other blinker's assembly to the offending one - if it works it's the blinker, if it doesn't it's the wiring or relay.

I disconnected the turn signal and plugged in a good working stock signal.
that didn't work so the problem cant be there.

I would think that at least one signal is not hooked properly. Are you sure you didn't switch some wires. Happened to me once and I got the same result that you described. To be sure check it out with a voltmeter.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Bill a multimeter will work fine.

First set the meter for restance.

With the power off at the bike, check for ground at the socket. Hook the black lead with an aligator clip to a good ground spot on the bike (OEM grounds near the oil fill work good), take the red lead and touch the wall of the socket. Meter should read close to 0 ohms (prob a few). If you continue to get a 1 (that's no connection) double check everything try again. You may have lost the ground connection if it remains at 1. Report back here.

The next step set the meter for volts DC.
With the black lead still connected to ground, take the red lead and start at the socket connection at the back of the socket (where the bulb would make contact and see if you have around 12v it should be going 12V-0V-12V (with key on, turn signal switch signaling). If you do not have about 12V there keep probing up the harness towards the fuse until you do. Stop to check at each connector you come across.

Let us know how you make out and we'll go on from there.

Try switching the left wires to the right and vise versa to see if there is any difference. I had those same signals and reconnected the wires wrong and it took me two days before I pulled everything apart and tried again until I got it right.
I wonder if you have a bare wire rubbing back up the loom?

Bare wires rubbing blow fuses. He'll be looking for a weak or corroded connection. The ohm meter should make short work of the search.

OK if a known to be good blinker doesn't work, then you need to try replacing your blinker relay as they can be moody, and if that doesn't work you'll need to follow those wires that connect to it.
First make sure the earth one is properly grounded - you should get a reading of near 0Ω on an ohmmeter between the blinker end of this wire and the negative on the battery.
If that's fine that note the color markings of the other wire, find it at the blinkers' relay and again measure resistance. Anything higher than an ohm or two means the wiring is fubar somewhere..

Latest posts

Back