UFO Dragstar on the way, need advice!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whips07Max

Reaction score
OK guys, I made my mind up, I ordered the UFO Dragstar exhaust today for my 07 Max. I'll do the V-Boost disconnect too, or should I go with the T-Boost on/off setup? Also, I'm thinking to just go with a Stage 1 Jet Kit for now. I'm looking for a improved power gain plus mean sound. Later I'll probably invest in VGAS . Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Whip:punk:
2007 V-Max, bought new May 2008.

Hey Whip,

Keep in mind opinions vary greatly esp. round here...lol

That being said...

I have seen a few Vgas setups... I really think unless you are a guy that likes to tinker and tune you would be better off with something like a Morley kit or a stage 7. Last dyno event there were a couple Vgas/flatslide type setups and they weren't the highest hp bikes in fact they were out done by a few bikes still running stock carbs and the setups mentioned above.The ones they did beat it wasn't by all that much. As far as the Vboost goes why not get the best of both worlds... look into a Sasy unit. I don't have one but it puts you in total control of the vboost several rpm setting as well as a off and full time mode I believe. Really a slick setup!Save the Vgas money and buy some suspension upgrades or maybe a wheel/tire upgrade... That would be a great investment!

Anyway best of luck in your future mods!

Frank

OK guys, I made my mind up, I ordered the UFO Dragstar exhaust today for my 07 Max. I'll do the V-Boost disconnect too, or should I go with the T-Boost on/off setup? Also, I'm thinking to just go with a Stage 1 Jet Kit for now. I'm looking for a improved power gain plus mean sound. Later I'll probably invest in VGAS . Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

IMO I would mount the dragstar pipe in the back of the UPS truck it came on. Moving on I would call and order a Kerker 4-2-1 full System. After that I would call Dynojet and order a stage 7 w/ ind filters and schedule a day at your local dynoshop.
Take the V-Boost and sell it to someone that cant fix theres or play street hockey with it until its in a million lil pieces.
Wire the intake butterflys open for a high lift cam idle and set your A/F screws.

Thanks Frank, that's why I like this forum. Good information. I don't know anything about the SASY but I will look into it as well as the Stage 7.:flagwaver:

Generally you don't have to rejet with an aftermarket exhaust and the Stage 1 kit is basically a waste of money. You may want to consider the EFI route rather than the VGAS. I think ny1max went from VGAS to EFI, he can tell you the pros and cons of both systems.

I guess Lankee can't believe the numbers (and hasn't had my kit). We've out HP'd the stage seven and both kinds of flatslides. Stage seven would be my second choice unless going really big on the engine then the flats will do the trick. Don't dick around with the stage 1 kit. Waste of money in the long run. Either my kit or the stage seven and if you really want the flatslides work OK too (but crappy mileage and harding starting as well as other issues).

V-boost actually gives a better power range then wiring it open (and you can simply unplug it in the open position too). If you leave it in place and unplug it in the open position you can easily plug it back in later to sync the carbs.

Nothing wrong with the dragstar but there is nothing special about it either. I sell the Kerkers for about $800 ($900 with the comp baffle). The dragstar looks ok but the muffler is tiny looking to me and should be larger to compliment the looks of the bike. Most of the highest HP bikes had dual exhaust's on them. Marks and Holeshot actually. They are all close enough that it really doesn't matter much.

We will be dynoing both my kit and the V-Gas back to back at Topeka this year. It's on a 1300 we built for a customer/friend who has tried it both ways. He likes my kit since it's quieter, he doesn't smell like gas after riding it, and gets double the fuel mileage.

Sasy is pretty neat but not sure it's worth the price (i've seen and played with one in person - not sure how many here can claim that - not counting all the different carb and jet kits we've had).

Sean Morley

I guess Lankee can't believe the numbers (and hasn't had my kit).

Sean
I have nothing against your kit I can only go by the responses on here and they all seem positive once they are dialed in (same with any carb mods)
I am very satisfied with my setup stage 1 - stage 7 setup I figured out from all the help here on the site (Thanks to all that help me with the indv filters and puke tank) :clapping:
I havent dynoed my setup yet and I am not trying to compete nor am I a seller so there is no competition here
I can only go by your ET and MPH times located on dragtimes com and my current et and mph
Maybe your system is a little better on the MPG but your bikes with the jet kit havent seen any higher mph that I have listed on "post your fastest et"
If I wasnt able to tune my bike I would choose your jet kit over the expensive v-gas system

All the cons I see on the flats make it WORTHLESS IMO. But that's just me... I want a bike I can jump on and ride as well as get over 30mpg on. I HATE UFO so I will not comment on that...

Go with Morley's stage 6.5 kit. (OK I nicknamed it that)

I plan on doing it in Topeka with my Walker pipes and can't wait to see what I get out of her. :eusa_dance:

Should be fun... Oh and the Kerker gets my nod for all out great sound and substantiated gains. DO NOT go by what Jon tells you. He tells you what you want to hear...

I have tested both on the same machine. It's not easy to compare bike to bike as subtle variances in the engine can be a big factor.

Also, where have you made your runs? Let's put both of our runs through a correction factor calculator and just see what the comparison really is. we'll need to know the weather conditions (as best you can) as well as elevation (which i can look up). We'll compare them both at sea level and see what it shows.

Here's the link but it's only for quarter mile times.
http://www.hardcore50.com/members/correctionfactors.htm

That would make my best time on a stock engined bike at 1300 feet (actual elevation counting in the weather conditions is more like 3500):

10.98@121 = [email protected] using 1300 (which is not accurate)
10.98@121 = [email protected] using 3500

You may need to call the track or find a true hard core racer to see who has a weather station there and can give you the effective altitude. As you can see corrected for actual conditions my 1/8th mile pass would have been considerably faster.

Sean

The only draw to the Vgas I see is that it does look absolutely cool as shit.

But I wouldn't want to have my knees hitting those stacks, don't know if they would or not but they look like they might.

The other thing with the Vgas it looks like to me is that the good old Bernoulli effect would come into play and create a VACUUM across the tops of those carbs lowering performance,.....?

It does, can't acclerate over about 135 (when I rode one 3 weeks ago) since the fuel is pulling out from the venturi effect.

Sean

Wow, talk about fast shipping. I got it exactly 24 hours after paying for it. Maybe tomorrow I'll put it on. Bike should lose a few pounds in the process, center stand has to be removed but can be bolted back on for service work. That's what made up my mind, not to mention the sound over the Kerker. I figure down the road a V-Max will be more valuable if you have all the OEM parts and haven't made any "permanent" changes like grinding off your tabs. Just my opinion. I still gotta decide on the jetting issues. I really like that SASY, do I have to re-jet with it, would a stage one work ok with it? I just don't wanna throw my money away and also want to keep my Max dependable. Thanks

Whip

Wow, talk about fast shipping. I got it exactly 24 hours after paying for it. Maybe tomorrow I'll put it on. Bike should lose a few pounds in the process, center stand has to be removed but can be bolted back on for service work. That's what made up my mind, not to mention the sound over the Kerker. I figure down the road a V-Max will be more valuable if you have all the OEM parts and haven't made any "permanent" changes like grinding off your tabs. Just my opinion. I still gotta decide on the jetting issues. I really like that SASY, do I have to re-jet with it, would a stage one work ok with it? I just don't wanna throw my money away and also want to keep my Max dependable. Thanks

Whip

I assume your talking to Jon. And he's probably steering you from Moreley muscle kit.

I wouldn t buy the Vgas. They look cool as hell but for the money you dont get the greates performance.

Yea sure the HP numbers Jon claims are upper 130's but that is on a dyno where the bike isnt rolling with wind blowing across the velocity stacks.

You should go with the Moreley kit.

If your willing to spend 2000.00 on vgas i would spend two more and get Fuel injection.

As far as stage seven versus stage one......

I have seen dyno sheets that show the stage one producing 10 more HP and torque in the midrange over the stage 7. To me that is where you want the power.

You will get a higher peak HP number with the 7 but that is in the top of the power band.

Im not sure where the morley kit is in comparison to these dyno's that Ive seen.

first thing. Just install the header without touching the carbs. You will be surprised at how well the bike will run. Then you can decide on your carb setup from there.

Sean

I tell you what, I have an air box lid that I can hack let me know the K&N Filter number
Send me a set of springs needles and any other jets you use with your kit
I will run my bike one weekend before I make the change noting the temp humidity and bar pressure
I will than install your kit and tune it along with your advice
Take the bike to the track and run it
V-Boost - operational or open you tell me

I am seriously wanting more MPH and this is an offer I make you
Everything will be documented along with time slip pics

If your setup is faster and I increase in my track performance I will than pay you 200 just for your jets and springs and any other parts you have with the kit
If we cant increase any MPH with the morley muscle kit than I send all your stuff back

what springs are you currently using? If you have any stage one or stage sevens you already have what you need. You already have the air correctors so that's good. What needles do you currently have? My basic kit uses the stock needles but works with about any aftermarket set (I have others available I sell as options to the kit but stockers.)

What jet sizes do you currently have on hand?

Sean Morley

what springs are you currently using? If you have any stage one or stage sevens you already have what you need. You already have the air correctors so that's good. What needles do you currently have? My basic kit uses the stock needles but works with about any aftermarket set (I have others available I sell as options to the kit but stockers.)

What jet sizes do you currently have on hand?

Sean Morley

Current Setup
Stock Springs (I do have stage 1 DJ springs)
Stock PAJ'S
DJ 165 Mains
DJ Stage 1 Needles (no longer have the stock needles)

Does your setup require me to drill the slides

Back