Upgraded to a Gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also lookg at a 09 with 37000 on the odometer and already modded with nash and more. Oil pump repair has been completed per owner. I am now having second thoughts about purchasing this bike. He wants 10.000 for the bike. It comes with many extras. He said he would meet me any place i would like. Just trying to get an opion as to wouuld this bike maybe be a good purchase as it does have 3700on the odometer already. Feeling skeptical after reading some of the horror stories. Is there anything i should look for or listen for. I do have a stethascope for listening to the internals. Would best way to check be putting an oil pressure gauge on it? Any opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :confused2:

Just got confirmation Bill will work on my bike.

Cheers,

Marcelo
If you would, could you give us some feedback on the repair process, what actually goes wrong on a bad repair, and the culpability of Yamaha/ the dealer in on a older bike out of warranty like most of these will be at this stage. Is there a certification that it was done.
My local dealer has not had one through their door yet, they sell more dirt bikes, ATV's, Side by Sides and snowmobiles that street bikes and even then they are mostly cruisers. At this point I probably wouldn't trust them since there is no experience at the shop.

Chances are, a bike with 37K already has it done but you can run the VIN# thru Yamaha to see if the OP recall work has been done (think Mark has the number to call)

I got my '09 a year & a half ago with only 2800 miles on it....the seller said he didn't get the oil pump recall done cause the cases had to be split. THAT of course, was far from the truth....I had Phipps in Albany NY do the work and it went smooth as silk.

I wouldn't pass up a good buy on an '09 or '10 because of this recall, just be sure the guy working on it isn't the pimply faced kid from the tire changing room! :biglaugh:

I believe a quick check of the oil pressure after the recall work will verify it was done correctly.

Also, an easy check is to look for a round punch mark at the end of the VIN number on the frame. It's my understanding that if the recall was done, the punch mark will be there. As far as miles, I wouldn't hesitate on a bike w 37K, as long as it looks likes it has been maintained/cared for. There was a Gen 2 sold last year w 60K+ that still ran like it was new, and the man ran the wheels off that bike, from what I read. These appear to be hell bent for strong, the entire bike. I hope so, at least :biglaugh:

At $10k at 37K of miles. I would pass. There are quite a few popping up with less than 10k in miles with mods for around $10k.

$8000 on the bike with 37K, Of course I am not seeing the bike in person or even a picture of it. But I would move along and find a lower mileage example.

At $10k at 37K of miles. I would pass. There are quite a few popping up with less than 10k in miles with mods for around $10k.

$8000 on the bike with 37K, Of course I am not seeing the bike in person or even a picture of it. But I would move along and find a lower mileage example.

Here is what I am supposed to go look at. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4926007178.html :ummm:

Here is what I am supposed to go look at. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4926007178.html :ummm:

Want my opinion since I ve bought and owned 150+ bikes.... ( yes one hundred fifty plus ).....

Extra parts he listed sounds like the bikes been dropped. Maybe it was dropped in the driveway..... maybe it just has a shit ton of abusive miles and he wanted to replace some parts....

200 hp and 130 ft lbs of torque.... he is dreaming there. So I would question he reality on the remaining information. I know numbers sell, but guys that are usually not trying to hype up things are usually truthful.

Like I said, there are PLENTY more for $10k with less miles. Maybe not exhaust system and extra scuffed up wheels, but do you need that stuff? And is that stuff really worth while to sell? I am not in the Gen 2 scene, so I am not sure if there is a market for damaged ( scuffed ) up wheels and parts like that. I don't think the bikes been around long enough to have a big calling for stock damaged parts.

It wouldn't hurt to look at it though. Cash talks......

Good luck!

Thanks for the opinion. I felt the same way after rereading the ad and yuor post. I would tend to agree with you. I guess i will keep looking around for the right deal. I am no hurry. I still have my 85 to ride. Thanks again for the insight.

Congrats on the bike.....
If I'm plans pan out I should also start looking for a gen 2 starting now lol

You will find the right one out there took me a year to find the one I wanted . I read all I could about the Gen 2 and mod's so when the right one came up with money in hand I jumped and never regretted it . I maybe paid to much for an 09' but with the mods already professionally installed and what it would cost me to buy and install it would have cost a lot more then what I paid . So have money in hand and pounce when that bike comes up and enjoy I did and still do !!

Got the bike back yesterday with both recalls work done and new tires installed. So far 200 miles riding awesome no issues with the oil pressure at all. Bill did a great job! Heard there are folks from all over the US that come down here for him to work on their VMAX.

Cheers,

Marcelo

:thumbs up:

Let the fun begin! Enjoy!

Bill Boyce is a long-time friend, and he's very professional in his approach to his work. I'm not saying he's the only person who can work on them, obviously-not, but if I have a question, I can go see him or call and get a consultation. He's a good guy and yes, people have made long-distance trips to have him get their work done. When the Gen 1 came-out, he did a lot of work on them for owners, and a "Bill's Bike" culture emerged. I don't think he ever did a single-sided swingarm for instance, but he is a good resource to have. I have been recommending him to others for many years. Did you see his bikes in the Service waiting area? The Bultaco Metralla and the 1960's Yamaha streetbike?

Yes I saw them. They are the same from the pics you post before right? Beautiful bikes!

Latest posts

Back