V Boost and Carb Tuning ?'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure on the iridum's. Gap we run is .035"

You are likely rich since aftermarket slip'ons usually like leaner main jets. Likely the carbs may have a stage 1 jet kit and is dumping too much fuel too.

Oh, and by the way. I have a GOAT! You guys just have a couple of badged imports (sorry to bag on you but the new GTO's never have really earned the title in my opinion - they are one of the few offerings that are worth having though).

Sean

The original GTO was nothing more than a plain looking car they stuffed a powerful motor in. The new version is a plain looking car with a powerful motor. Although I do think Pontiac screwed up calling it a GTO. Notice the new Holden to make it here is being called a G8. I really hope they actually bring the Ute(El Camino) here. That would be sweetness.

not sure on the iridum's. Gap we run is .035"

You are likely rich since aftermarket slip'ons usually like leaner main jets. Likely the carbs may have a stage 1 jet kit and is dumping too much fuel too.

Oh, and by the way. I have a GOAT! You guys just have a couple of badged imports (sorry to bag on you but the new GTO's never have really earned the title in my opinion - they are one of the few offerings that are worth having though).

Sean

Ya have to love the old stuff :biglaugh:

Attachments

• carclub-goat.jpg
    carclub-goat.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 20
well i got the vmax back from kearney yamaha 2day, they said my carbs were a little bit off sync. they reset them and the bike starts fine now with no hesitation but still kinda acts funny at WOT when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It just seems to kinda sputter for a second then goes back to pulling. is this normal? or do i still have fuel mixture problems

Its acts almost like a 03 or 04 SVT Cobra at WOT when shifting!!

so your still suggesting that im running too rich? and that the stg 1 dyno jet kit is over doin it?

I put a Stage 1 kit in my carbs, and promptly yanked it out. That kit is a POS!!!! IMHO. I fought the thing for a week before I decided that it wasn't worth the BS it caused. Went back to stock springs and needles then downsized my mains from 152.5s to 147.5s and bike picked up nicely. Oh yeah, the reason I changed in the first place was I was SUPER rich after installing my HMF exhaust (F:A ratio was something in the neighborhood of 14:1).

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
VMOA# 4046
Western Ontario Chapter Leader:rocket bike:

Thanks Jim. GTO, I ran with the exact same jetting as Jim and it ran great with 6-8 disks for the Trapps. I recommend doing that.

Mark

i dont believe there are any pucks in the trapps, also where do i get stock needles and the 147.5 main?

i dont believe there are any pucks in the trapps, also where do i get stock needles and the 147.5 main?

PM me with your mailing addy and I can send you my set of stock needles and springs. May take me a couple of days to get them in the mail, but hey the price is right. As for the mains, can't help you there but they shouldn't be that hard to get ahold of at a dealers. I would advise that you buy a set of 150's too just to give you some flexibility when tuning. Another piece of advice is to make 1 change at a time when tuning. If you make several and the bike pukes you won't know what the cause is. Remember you can undo changes so make them in increments til you find what works for your Max.

Also, when tuning these carbs remember the 3 phases of operation of them. For more info the Vmax Outlaw site has a great tuning guide.

If there is anything else I can assist with please feel free to contact me via email of PM at any time.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
VMOA# 4046
Western Ontario Chapter Leader:rocket bike:

okay so i know something is definetly wrong with this thing, when you put hand behind the exhaust on the right side of the bike at idle it pushes back hard, but on the kickstand side at idle its not near as hard exhaust pressure as the right side. plus i raced my roomates 02 Vrod with the 32 tooth sprocket, power commander, and he kick my A$$. it was close through first then 2nd gear he just walked away all the way to 4th.

okay so i know something is definetly wrong with this thing, when you put hand behind the exhaust on the right side of the bike at idle it pushes back hard, but on the kickstand side at idle its not near as hard exhaust pressure as the right side. plus i raced my roomates 02 Vrod with the 32 tooth sprocket, power commander, and he kick my A$$. it was close through first then 2nd gear he just walked away all the way to 4th.

OK you need to hurry up and make it right and show him how a Vmax runs... I mean come on! Hurry up! We can't have him thinking the rod is faster...:icon_rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

well help me out, do you know anyone that has install a dynojet kit or would like one in trade for stock jets? themaxrider is already sending me the stock springs and needles. are these hard to put in?

No, they're easy to install. I'll try and get a sticky post written up for the How To section. I'll include pictures.

When it's running right you'll spank a Vrod easily. Probably could be him in a mile race starting in 2nd. :)

Thanks Jim. GTO, I ran with the exact same jetting as Jim and it ran great with 6-8 disks for the Trapps. I recommend doing that.

Mark

Mark,

Are you still using those jets or did you re-jet when you got rid of the Trapps?

Tom

Hi Tom. I looked at my notes and actually used Mikuni 150's with the Supertrapps. When I went to Marks exhaust I dropped them to 147.5. Now I have Morley's kit and am running Mikuni 155 with Stage 7 needles.

No, they're easy to install. I'll try and get a sticky post written up for the How To section. I'll include pictures.

When it's running right you'll spank a Vrod easily. Probably could be him in a mile race starting in 2nd. :)

vrods are kicking out more power now... then when they first came out..im sure ill find out for myself soon enough

Back