V Max Newbie

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchwood85

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the max but not motorcycles, I have not yet bought bike but I am looking at an 85 with 36000 miles on her. The bike is in great shape and runs well no second gear issues. I go to haggle on bike this Thursday, asking $2600. I just found this site and will be doing a lot of exploring. Thanks ahead of time

make sure you don't pay too much for an '85 - if you look around you will find many 93-99 bikes for very similar / decent prices, and the main improvements (bigger forks and brakes, digital ignition) were introduced by Yamaha in '93.

:welcome_sign: to the forum. Lot's of knowledge on this site, from those who are more than willing to help a fellow VMax enthusiast out.

Just like NG said, you can spend another $1500 or so and have a 2000-ish
year motorcycle. It is pretty easy to start sinking some serious cash (and time) in an older bike. Don't make a quick decision and you will be fine.

And welcome to the forum!

Jeff

i agree with jeff and ng...

just don't be too anxious, make sure you get something worth it. that is a high amt of miles, just to be weary of. take tons of pics and post them up here and people will def give you their $.02

also, remove the faux tank and the airbox lid and see what the air filter looks like

make sure no mice or anything and just take a look around in there. should give you an idea of how it was maintained...

It's a buyer's market so don't be bashful. Check out as many bikes as you can. Consider the mileage, year, condition and asking price. Find the one you love the most and make your offer. You might get exactly what you're looking for and exactly what you want to spend. Good luck! Welcome to the forum, Birchwood.

Last edited:
Just like NG said, you can spend another $1500 or so and have a 2000-ish
year motorcycle. It is pretty easy to start sinking some serious cash (and time) in an older bike. Don't make a quick decision and you will be fine.

And welcome to the forum!

Jeff

BING! You better do a search for ALL of my posts with my 85. I've invested THOUSANDS on this bike so far!

I'm not saying don't do it because there are some great people on this forum BUT you better call Jeff and make sure he has a little bit more space in his garage...hehehehehe.

Abe

Hello, I am new to the max but not motorcycles, I have not yet bought bike but I am looking at an 85 with 36000 miles on her. The bike is in great shape and runs well no second gear issues. I go to haggle on bike this Thursday, asking $2600. I just found this site and will be doing a lot of exploring. Thanks ahead of time

Unless it has a bunch of aftermarket components on it that are worth some money such as a nice aftermarket full exhaust system,, chrome parts, etc. the bike isnt worth 2600.00 IMO to me.
In all honesty... a clean 86 mostly stock with 36K miles bottom price of a great deal ....................$2000.00.. Dont get me wrong 2600.00 isnt mean your getting ripped but your also not getting a deal....
85's had a lot of issues with them, poor brakes, weak starters, transmissions, charging systems.... Add these components up and you will be soon in the range of a 99+ model.
85 is going to be a collector since it was the first year.. thats really the only way I would purchase one if I was going to buy it to completly restore to hold on for many more years.

Thanks for all the reponses, here is a little bit more about the bike. It is at a Harley dealership and its been there at lest a year as far as I know. They are asking $2600 but I have never paid asking price before and do not want to start now. I know the issues that go with buying an 85 and hopefully it is not going to be as much of a project bike as my 81 kawasaki 1100 gpz b1, which was changed after one year of production so parts are a joy and not so reasonable. The market around here seems to be much higher than anywhere else, as in I have found 3 more with less miles but over $3000. Here is what I am thinking. I feel the bike was more than likely a trade in so any sale they would get would be profit. They have come down in price to $2400 with out even haggling so I am sure that they would come down more. The bike is very clean and seems well maintained. I will find out more when I get back down there. So again I ask what do you think? Plus dont you think they would like to move a Yamaha out of a Harley dealership ASAP!!!

Attachments

• mymax1.jpg
    mymax1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 43
  • mymax2.jpg
    mymax2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 43
There seems to be some aftermarket going on with that bike from the pictures.

Have you test drove it yet? if it drives alright offer a cash flash of $2000 and hagle from there.

From what the dealer quoted "It has new tires in the front and back,custom grips and pegs,engine guard,very clean bike" but does custom just mean replaced.

From what the dealer quoted "It has new tires in the front and back,custom grips and pegs,engine guard,very clean bike" but does custom just mean replaced.

It can, its all symantics to some ppl. I'm also seeing different plug wires, case covers, and some braided lines in the mix along with the painted rims as well.

Thanks guys all the info will help me make up my mind I hope. The wife is not real happy me adding a 5th bike but she will get over it, I hope!!!

I have a 81 kawasaki 1100 gpz b1 with a few issues, 82 yamaha virago 750, 03 yamaha 1100 custom, 1996 honda 650 that I am rebuilding for a friend after a drunkin crash. I also have a few dirt bikes and a 4 wheeler.

Why would someone change case covers? Crash maybe or am I reading into this to much?

The type that are on there are of the custom variety, just like the clear versions. They look pretty trick. If you think the bike went down take a peek at the pegs, more often then not they forget about replacing the pegs and they should still show scuff marks.

I thought that I would add some prices of maxs that I have looked at
85 $3900 Rat Rod
85 $3000 13500 miles
88 $3800 29800 miles
89 $5500 ??? miles
97 $6000 7000 miles
02 $7500 8000 miles
04 $8500 360 miles said bike scared him
05 $5500
05 $8000

These were all bottom dollar prices by owners saying that the bikes will go much higher in spring. I was thinking that they all were way high and none of them were really modded that much to justify prices, thats why I am leaning towards the bike I pictured in earlier post.

Back