V Max Newbie

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a pretty nice bike. I'm not crazy about the painted wheels, side covers and radiator frame or the mileage, but it is 25 years old so maybe 30 something thousand is not so much per year. I'm with Lankee about the classic potential. Good buy at 2400, really good buy at 2 as long as no mechanical issues.

the side panels are on backwards too.. the left is on the right and vice versa.. thats weird... it doesn't even look right. haha...

anyways i agree w/what the guys are saying here

looks clean, but what is that large hose above the middle gear cover, anyone?

give it a ride and go from there...

the side panels are on backwards too.. the left is on the right and vice versa.. thats weird... it doesn't even look right. haha...

Damn, they are swapped around! Thought something looked funny. Oh well, just swap them back. That hose has to be a spare syphon hose left over from when gas was 4 bucks a gallon.

It's got a few cosmetic upgrades, but anything you're going to want (Muscle seat, fresh brakes and tires, better fork springs, better shocks, aftermarket exhaust, etc) will still need to be added, so you can budget for double the price unless you're happy to keep it as it is.
I personally don't like the paint on the wheels or rad sides, but that's down to taste.

And just to make you feel good about the deal if you can get it for $2k, I paid 4k for this '86 with 37k miles (and have not regretted it once although I would've been happier with a better deal if I'd been in here earlier, so you're doing the right thing!)

Attachments

• musclebagger.jpg
    musclebagger.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
Bringing up the fact the side panels are on the wrong sides, question the dealership on "how well this was maintained, being they can't get the body panels on right." that should make 'em feel like they know something (although I really didn't pay attention to that myself, yeah I admit it :p)

Lower cash flash to $1500 and hagle from there :eek:h yeah:

anyways i agree w/what the guys are saying here

looks clean, but what is that large hose above the middle gear cover, anyone?

give it a ride and go from there...
I think that is just a oversized hose covering the clutch line from what it looks like. :confused2:

I am very greatful for all the added thoughts, I am going to haggle on Friday not Thursday. I learn more and more about the Max as I dig thru the site. Keep up the good work and I ll be around weather I buy this one or another. Thanks!!!

OK here ya go...

First off its very hard to sell a VMAX!! Not many people are looking for a 120HP hot rod cruiser. 3 categories of bike.... Cruiser, Sport Bike, Touring
The VMAX is in a category of its own.
2nd of all the bike has been painted a different then stock color which is another thing that makes it hard to sell, not everyone likes that paint on the bike..

You have the upper hand.. econmy sucks, Its an old VMAX, aftermarket paint sitting in a Harley Shop....

2000.00 cash take it or let it sit....

Test drive it......... and what to look for on the test drive......

In first gear rev it up 9000 RPMS and power shift into 2nd gear.. in 2nd gear get around 6000 RPMs and let off the gas and nail WOT make sure it doesnt pop out of 2nd gear! This bike isnt going to flip on you it will take off or rev up and land in neatruel.. You have to shift it hard and high revs to see if ya have any tranny issues and trust me,,., The VMAX isnt one you want to split the cases on.. Good luck.. Ohh by the way them wheels are ...... well never mind.

By the way.. on a positive side.... I curently have an 85 engine in my 99 Frame which has survived my abuse all summer long with no second gear issues I dont know how many miles are on the engine but i know the engine is wore out with a low compression reading of 155AVG ya may want to take a compression check on all cylinders.

Also when you goto look at it.. feel if the engine has been started before you got there.. make sure its stone cold......
When you start check to see if any blue smoke comes from the exhaust the first 10 seconds to check the valve seals...
Compression check is easy on a VMAX and can be done within 25 mins start to finish..

One more thing.... 36000 miles on the odemeter doesnt mean it has 36K on it...... Speedometers can be bought from salvage yards cheap.......For all you know it could be 96K miles... check the engine!

Like I said its not my first bike, and yes I dont like color but that can be changed. Mileage I have found is hard to judge on a bike of this caliber, take my 81 1100 gpz it only has 1800miles on her but from what I am seeing in rebuild that they have been hard miles. So I will let ya know on Friday just what happens and again thanks for all the ideas on what to look for.

Like I said its not my first bike, and yes I dont like color but that can be changed. Mileage I have found is hard to judge on a bike of this caliber, take my 81 1100 gpz it only has 1800miles on her but from what I am seeing in rebuild that they have been hard miles. So I will let ya know on Friday just what happens and again thanks for all the ideas on what to look for.

def man.. lankee has a lot of good points too..

just treat it like any other bike in the normal shit to look for and take the vmax specifics...

No pink scooters for me, I think its called mauve, hahah Just kidding and Thanks again!!! See my BRAIN must be off or its name is Brian!! Just one of those days I guess.

Ok so now a problem I have found another 85 with 13,500 miles for a bit more he tells me that it has cobra pipes and strait bars. I sent some pics to see what you guys think about this one, he wants 3 grand for it. What do you think?

Attachments

• gray 851.jpg
    gray 851.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 21
  • gray 852.jpg
    gray 852.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 23
  • gray 853.jpg
    gray 853.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 23
I think you should buy my 2005 - pics of it in the for sale section.

Sean

+1

You can't go wrong with Sean's 05. Stretched, piped almost 130hp to the pavement....

seans05rz4.jpg

I must note that the seat and backrest are not included. I do however have a newly done all smooth black seat that goes on it. The stock grabbar goes on it and the swingarm that is currently on it is chromed (that was another bar I was testing for a customer).

Sean

Back