Valve seals question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
So my max seems to have a little oil leak when hot - it's dripping from the rear headers, just behind the #1 cylinder.

Kyle and I thought it's the valve seals. I found these on fleaBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300354548246&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

question 1: are these worth getting, or should I go OEM from Mondak?

question 2: can I renew them with the cylinder heads in situ, using compressed air through the spark plug hole?
question 3: How hard a job will that be, and will I need special tools? :ummm:

Are you sure it isn't dripping down from somewhere else?

Man, if the seals are that bad you got some serious problems. May be rings or combo of the two (if it's coming from internally).

Sean

Valve seals would leak oil into the cylinders, causing smoke while starting / running. Your leak sounds external...valve cover gasket??

I'm confused, and worried now.

I noticed a little smoke coming from the rear left cylinder, when my bike started running like shit. (smelling of gas, dumping gas down #1, running on 3 cyls etc).
I assumed it was the excess gas leaking out of the cylinder through the exhaust. But taking a closer look during last tech day, Kyle and I noticed that small drop of oil at the bottom of the exhaust header clamp of cylinder #1. When I wiped it clean, it slowly came back.

I'm gonna swap my tank and clean the carbs and everything to make 100% sure the fuel problem is eradicated (after cleaning my carbs at tech day it ran absolutely fine again for a good 100 miles), and then see if I'm still smoking/leaking at that #1 header.

BTW I've never seen or noticed any smoke coming from my exhausts, maybe those riding behind me at Deal's Gap could confirm that my Max doesn't smoke? It's not burning any oil either..

Fingers crossed..

Nothing. It's actually fine now - no more oil leaking. I guess it was leftovers from all the fuel getting dumped in there, since swapping tank/filter and cleanup, it's running fine again :eusa_dance:

Now I just need to deal with the 'Christine' problem..

Latest posts

Back