valve stem installation?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can u guys define a reduced dimension nut? one of the nuts is flanged to fit the flange itself... (that goes on the tire side of the rim.)

that could work.

heres the 100$ quesiton though, would you do it on yours?

so you're saying. stem/rubber/rim/rubber/washer flanged or flat/nylon nut?

here is a link to what i got a hwile ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/45-D...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i think problem #1 is as well, see the top rubber has a flange that goes in the hole? that doesn't fit in our openings like that (hole in rim is too small). or maybe i'm not trying hard enough....

That's your 'hole' problem Garrett....yeah, yeah, I know!! Anyhow, get ya a nice sharp bit and drill out your rim to accept the shoulder....you'll be gtg! :punk:

That's your 'hole' problem Garrett....yeah, yeah, I know!! Anyhow, get ya a nice sharp bit and drill out your rim to accept the shoulder....you'll be gtg! :punk:

def not gonna drill the wheel. sorry danny don't wanna do irreversible damage.

just the thickness from the profile? why would that matter vs a thicker nut?

its actually slightly smaller dimension on the inside designed to hold the threaded part or a bolt or stem etc. there is tension when you tighten it up and it wont back off on its own. used in aerospace and aviation. but the nylon nut will be your best and easiest choice. you wont have to worry about it coming off.

but if you can get one that has the nuts on the outside such as this

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/VS1218R?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=nextag

atleast you can inspect it and see if its getting loose. you can get most any style

def not gonna drill the wheel. sorry danny don't wanna do irreversible damage.

Understood. It looks like .453" is a standard size valve stem so the wheel should accept it without any problems, maybe just a couple burrs getting in the way?

just the thickness from the profile? why would that matter vs a thicker nut?

Cause I thought you were short on threads, a thinner locknut wouldn't take up as many.

FYI...steps to replace valve stem
  1. Remove both locking nuts, one washer and lower seal from valve stem (See picture below)
  2. Clean both valve housing and inside and outside of valve stem hole on rim.
  3. Insert valve onto rim, taking care not to damage the gasket at the base of the valve stem.
  4. Re-Attach lower seal, washer and one locking nut.
  5. Tighten first locking nut to 7Nm to 10Nm, then attach second nut to double lock valve stem on motorcycle.

Cause I thought you were short on threads, a thinner locknut wouldn't take up as many.

1. Remove both locking nuts, one washer and lower seal from valve stem (See picture below)
  3. Insert valve onto rim, taking care not to damage the gasket at the base of the valve stem.
  5. Tighten first locking nut to 7Nm to 10Nm, then attach second nut to double lock valve stem on motorcycle.

:punk:

Oops...forgot the pic....sorry!

Pretty sure once the shoulder fits in the hole you will be ok.

Attachments

• valve stem pic.jpg
    valve stem pic.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 9
off topic but how far are you from fremont nh garrett??? will be going there is weekend maybe on the bike if weather is good.

Oops...forgot the pic....sorry!

Pretty sure once the shoulder fits in the hole you will be ok.

let me see if i can't torque that f-er down a bit more. any thoughts on how to hold the stem still while i'm tightening it?

off topic but how far are you from fremont nh garrett??? will be going there is weekend maybe on the bike if weather is good.

about 90 mins. gimme a call eh? u have my cell still yes?

let me see if i can't torque that f-er down a bit more. any thoughts on how to hold the stem still while i'm tightening it?

Jeez, it shouldn't require THAT much torque Garrett! How far off is it? Would think that shoulder should snug right in there nicely. :confused2:

about 90 mins. gimme a call eh? u have my cell still yes?

Think he's heading for the loading gate.

so gents, here is the issue:

our beloved vmax (at least the '85 wheels i got here, but i wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them are the same, since they all carry the same valve stem part number), has the less than popular .327" or for those metric folks 8.3mm openings.

the rubber flange on the ones i got are meant for the 0.453" openings, thats why i can't get the flanged rubber one in the hole, i'm not just incompetent... heh.

so Sean is sending me an OEM one but i still think they're butt ugly. i found a few sites that have the different sizes:

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=27

and this random dealer (hey does anyone live nearby Huron, Ohio)?:

http://www.powersports360.com/eshop...mpaign=base&v_traceback=c1005_0128_f1005_1507

so i may just call some local bike places tomorrow and see what I can do. or they have sets of 2 here and are the sweet anodized fittings for under $30 shipped:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=m39&_nkw=8.3+valve+stem

anyways can anyone else confirm the later rims have 8.3mm valve stem openings?

as far as the thread issue as well it worked fine if i tightened it to spec. I still might see if i can figure out the thread and grab a nylon nut as the lock nut. the second jamnut sat perfectly at the end of the thread if the first one was to 84 in lbs. (~10 Nm). but to do that I had to use a flat washer and the non-flanged rubber guy on the hub side of the rim.

.327's...ey? I'll be darned. Well that's solved. Probably all Gen-I valve stems are the same dimension...as we know, Yamaha was quite reluctant to make any changes to the v max! :confused2:

for sure ill give you a call garrett if i make it down on the bike. gonna be a quick trip...well thats the plan you never know what happens hahahaha

.327's...ey? I'll be darned. Well that's solved. Probably all Gen-I valve stems are the same dimension...as we know, Yamaha was quite reluctant to make any changes to the v max! :confused2:

just ordered a few different sets and i have seans coming in. should be GOOD TO GO!

for sure ill give you a call garrett if i make it down on the bike. gonna be a quick trip...well thats the plan you never know what happens hahahaha

i know how u roll ro. maybe i'll take u to meet phil!

just ordered a few different sets and i have seans coming in. should be GOOD TO GO!

i know how u roll ro. maybe i'll take u to meet phil!

that would be awesome. plans chg again while i was on my third leg to get home, might be staying around my bros in clinton ma for a few days, maybe a trip to the dyno if it all works out....maybe.....

keep me in the loop bro. ur # still the same i had from the pizza run?

clinton aint that far from gardner. i'd love to meet up and take a ride if we could swing it. weekdays are tough obviously tho.

still have the gift cert. i'd love to have u use it, it will expire soon. let me make sure i can dig it up too

Back