Vmax Fan Switch Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Re: Vmax Fan Control Switch

This is how I mounted my manual fan switch:

First thing I did was get me one of them nice looking, Radio Shack flat toggle switch. I chose this one, cause I think it looks sweet. It shows $3.19 on thier website, but locally I bought it for $3.99. This is the switch that I used, obviously you can use what ever switch you Like. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3016149&retainProdsInSession=1&filterName=Price&filterValue=under+%243.99

I then searched through my tool box, for some wire.
I found some turn signal parts, so I salvaged two wires from it. I then soldered the wires to the switch. I did it this way cause I don't plan on replacing it and this way it becomes a part of the wiring and not just an add-on. I'm kinda on the picky side when it comes to wiring.

p1030434r.jpg

After attaching the wire leads, I pulled the faux tank and the right scoop. Then I removed the manifold shroud and unbolted the manifold.

p1030439i.jpg

p1030440g.jpg

After the manifold is unbolted you can pop off the neck cover. Just give it a gentle tug on the left side then wiggle the rest of it and it will pop right off.

p1030441g.jpg

Then it was time to drill a proper sized hole (make sure there is clearance, but normally there is ample room) and mount the switch.

p1030442kv.jpg

Then after popping the neck cover back on, I fed the wires out to the thermo-switch.

p1030444l.jpg

I then chose to splice the wire into the thermo-switch's connection, again you can do this anyway you like. I chose this way cause like a mentioned before I wanted to make a nice connedtion that resembles a stock connection.

p1030445vp.jpg

Then it was simply a matter of re-assembly of the manifold, scoop and faux tank.
Then give it a little test action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GByhw6v50ek

And thats that. Took just over 20 mins and that included time to get rid of a beer and get another. It actually took longer to upload the pics and video and do the write-up, than it did to do the actual install.

Hope this helps with your fan switch installation.

Last edited:
Thanks KJ, I was just about to start solving a "fan manual switch how to", but you made it easy for me. My Max runs hot as hell now that the global weather change has reached Finland too...

Great Work KJ.... But, does it ever get that hot in Fairbanks ????? My DIL said it was 65 degrees when she called yesterday....

Great Work KJ.... But, does it ever get that hot in Fairbanks ????? My DIL said it was 65 degrees when she called yesterday....

No, IMO it doesn't get that hot to need one. mid to upper 80's during the hot part of summer is it. Its been cooler now that fall is here. I went for a nice ride at 3am the other day it was 42. I'm getting ready to mow the lawn now and its 50 out. The fireweed is almost crapped out to the top of the plant about 2 weeks early, so winter looks to be comming early.

I did the install to show how simple of a mod it is and I had the parts. I originally bought the toggle to turn the v-boost on-off, as I don't use the t-boosts 3k feature. I just use the off for rain riding. Plus I was curious to see how fast it could be done.

Hi.. KJ.
Is there a problem w my iPad or there is some problem w e links?
I can't see any of the pictures attached.

near the red zone yes, in the red zone no. If it goes in the red zone, there's a problem and your cooling system most likely needs a good flush and fresh coolant+water.

Re: Vmax Fan Control Switch

This is how I mounted my manual fan switch:

First thing I did was get me one of them nice looking, Radio Shack flat toggle switch. I chose this one, cause I think it looks sweet. It shows $3.19 on thier website, but locally I bought it for $3.99. This is the switch that I used, obviously you can use what ever switch you Like. http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...on=1&filterName=Price&filterValue=under+$3.99

I then searched through my tool box, for some wire.
I found some turn signal parts, so I salvaged two wires from it. I then soldered the wires to the switch. I did it this way cause I don't plan on replacing it and this way it becomes a part of the wiring and not just an add-on. I'm kinda on the picky side when it comes to wiring.

p1030434r.jpg

After attaching the wire leads, I pulled the faux tank and the right scoop. Then I removed the manifold shroud and unbolted the manifold.

p1030439i.jpg

p1030440g.jpg

After the manifold is unbolted you can pop off the neck cover. Just give it a gentle tug on the left side then wiggle the rest of it and it will pop right off.

p1030441g.jpg

Then it was time to drill a proper sized hole (make sure there is clearance, but normally there is ample room) and mount the switch.

p1030442kv.jpg

Then after popping the neck cover back on, I fed the wires out to the thermo-switch.

p1030444l.jpg

I then chose to splice the wire into the thermo-switch's connection, again you can do this anyway you like. I chose this way cause like a mentioned before I wanted to make a nice connedtion that resembles a stock connection.

p1030445vp.jpg

Then it was simply a matter of re-assembly of the manifold, scoop and faux tank.
Then give it a little test action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GByhw6v50ek

And thats that. Took just over 20 mins and that included time to get rid of a beer and get another. It actually took longer to upload the pics and video and do the write-up, than it did to do the actual install.

Hope this helps with your fan switch installation.

I did the same thing to mine and it works great and you can run the fan for a few min to cool the motor when you shut it off.

Back