Radiator fan override switch fail and more

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44boyd

Reaction score
Been trying to get my 06 running after a year of storage due to deployment. Only had the bike for a couple weeks before i left and it ran fine. Here's a couple of problems I'm having.

1. Bike overheated after I got it cranked to burn off some of the old fuel, didn't think to see if fan was working at that time. Bought the fan override switch from python, installed it and nothing. Bike overheats and the fan doesn't come on, before I flush and take the radiator off, could I have a bad thermostat since that's where the override switch wires into?

2. Have the normal stuck slide/puff of fuel out of the top of the carbs. Performed the shotgun and it is still sluggish when you turn the throttle and won't crank without the choke on and won't run without it on. Tried pulling the Plugs but for some reason a 5/8 doesn't fit, they're NKG R's by the markings if that makes a difference.

Waiting on my carb sync tool to get here and I'm open to suggestions. Any help is appreciated. No rust in the tank btw, thanks
Stacy

Welcome to the club.

For the fan/overheating, pls check all your fuses first, and check you are getting power to the fan, and the fan runs when it's got power! No need to take the radiator off - you can access the fan wires and flush the cooling system without doing so.

For the carbs, you say you did the shotgun - have you tried the 'peashooter' as well? Did you store the bike with fuel stabilizer (ie SeaFoam or BG) in it?
If not, it's most prolly best to drain your float bowls, drain your tank, and start with some nice fresh unleaded in there. If it still runs like shit, you may need to get into your carbs and clean them out properly, this is how I did it: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5830

For the spark plugs you will need a long 18mm socket, or the spark plug wrench in your toolbag (should still be there in an '06?). The plugs you want are NGK DPR8EA-9, in preference to ANY other kind.

For the override switch its supposed to be crimped to the Thermostat in parallel. Unplug the the fan and check if theres power to its plug when switching the override on. You might have installed that badly or a broken wire. Connect a spare battery to the fan plug to see if its working. Do you have enough coolant on the system? You may have your thermostat valve bad and not allowing coolant to flow through the radiator as well...

Wired the fan into some speaker wire and battery charger, worked fine. What does parrallel mean? I've got them crimped one to each wire like the instructions say, they just got bad photos. Could the thermal switch be bad and cause the problem? There's a shit ton of wires wrapped together so that'll suck tracing those back. Fuzes are good btw

For the peashooter , how the hell do you remove the brass cover? Drilled a small hole, don't have any sheet metal screws, tried anything small just to see if something would catch with no luck. Pulled a fouled plug, put in a new one non- NKG but will order some when I get it ready to roll. You guys are better than the manual, seems like a full tear down to check anything. Thanks for the help so far.

Ok... Crimped the wrong wire then? What the switch does is to close the circuit in parallel. Instead of the voltage going through the thermal switch (thermostat) it also goes through the switch and if its in ON position it will close the circuit and make the fan go. the thermal switch only cuts out the voltage to the fan and when you set a fan switch it will override the thermal switch and allow for the voltage to go to the fan bypassing the thermal switch. I hope it was clear. You can check that on the instructions sheet you got.

I had the wires tucked behind the plastic piece and curled up into the splice, don't know if that give it a good connection. Took it apart and routed the wires behind the radiator hose and straight into the plastic pieces. Worked like it was suppose to. Thanks for the help.

Slide diaphram question, got one slide that doesn't move when throttle turned. Took it out removed the buildup during the shotgun. When I went to reinstall the diaphram, no rips/holes, it didn't want to fit in the groove like the others. Thinking it has shrunk and that might be what is causing the slide from moving like the others. It moves freely by hand. Am I off base or over thinking it? Any one have a recommended place to buy one? Also had a loud backfire out of that carb with a little fire, is that normal or will it get worked when I sync them?

Okay, finally got the bike running but ran into another problem. When I rev the engine it revs down slowly (rev to like 5k and takes a couple seconds to come back down to idle). Rode about 80 miles Saturday hoping it would clear itself up, but no luck. SO i bit the bullet and tore the carbs apart and now I'm just awaiting gaskets/orings to rebuild. The inside was nasty, green/yellow crap in the fuel bowl-jets etc..I'm hoping a thorough cleaning and new gaskets will fix the problem. When I crank it with the choke it revs ungodly high with just a little choke on then comes down to normal. Gonna clean the plungers real good and make sure the choke bracket pulls them evenly when applied. ANybody have suggestions on what else it could be? Read other posts that suggested the VBoost cable/boots/vacuum leak but that was after the bike was already warm. Thanks in advance

Just be sure to thoroughly clean the pilot jet assemblies at the bottom of the fuel bowls while the carbs are off. They must be removed from the carbs to get into them properly, and of course, you most likely need those gaskets for reassembly as well, if not already ordered.

Got my gaskets in, but had to order screws from a store since I stripped some. Putting stainless steel rounded allen heads in them for like 18cents vs $3 for OEM. Should make it alot easier when I do it again for re-jet. Wish I had the cash for Muscle kit since I'm already in there, but hopefully by the fall.

Stripped 2 pilot jets 37.5's. Anybody know "what the right tool" for the job is? Just frustrated, gotta wait until Monday to take the jet blocks to the shop to see if they can get em out. Hopefully they have some in stock. At least it's raining lol.

Back