Vmax Friend Killed Last Night

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the link - http://www.ksn.com/news/local/10144861.html

Well guys, I am here. However, my friend Scott Peterson is no longer with us. If you saw the news you see how extreme the crash was. He was heading home from my shop to finish watching the Chiefs game. He was traveling west on 47th street and a large Ford truck (prob 3/4 or 1 ton) traveling east on 47th tried to turn north on Webb. Skid marks were not much longer then 150' if that.

Scott was not wearing any of his gear yesterday though from the looks of the accident they probably would not have helped him much. We had just done some tuning work on the bike and he had been helping me on some other projects. It just happens that I was the last person who saw him and talked to him.

I got a call my my GF about 7:00 last night while I was at the shop. She had just heard the news and was with my parents out shopping. They were freaking out since it happened just a few miles from the shop and the age and description fit me exactly. Scott had left much earlier so I really didn't put it together for a few minutes but decided to call him. He didn't answer the phone which wasn't all that unusual so I sent him a text. He normally replies withing a minute or two and so after five minutes I decided to call 911 and find out.

I made the call and they would not give me the name of the rider. I asked them to give me a description of the bike which the operator didn't have. I told her he was a single dad and I really needed to know in case I had to go to the house and get his kids. She told me she would have the officer on the scene call me.

About 5 minutes later I received a call. He asked if I knew Scott. I told him that if it was Scott Peterson then yes I knew him. He confirmed the name and I told him that he was single and might have his boys at the house. He then told me he was standing in his living room and needed my help finding contact info for his next of kin.

Of course I gave him that info and asked if I could go get the bike. He told me that they would not allow me to do that since it was being put into evidence since it was part of a criminal investigation. They would not give me any of the specifics.

The news has said that maybe the sun played a part in the accident. The time was right and the angle of the sun would have been in Scott's eyes but he had the right of way so the fault was still on the truck driver. I'm sure speed is going to have some to play in it too as Scott did like to ride fast.

That is what I know so far and I will be helping get things planned to get his put in the ground and kids taken care of. It's never any good but it's even worse when it's one of your good friends, and you were the last person to see him.

Sean

Ah man Sean... I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers go out to you and his family...

Rest in piece Scott.

Sorry to hear about the tradgedy. Folks please be careful out there..100% attention, 100% of the time

That's terrible, I'm very sorry to hear this kind of news and the affect on the kids can't be minimized. They are lucky to have people like you, Sean, to help them. The sun wasn't in the monster truck driver's face, damn him and his carelessness. I'm sure he/she feels invincible in that thing. Ride like you are invisible, cause I guess you are.

Steve

Sean I'm very sorry about Scott's death. I pray for God's peace to be with you and his family.

Update so far:

Scott WAS killed on impact. I talked to a witness at the scene that said he was going probably 10-15 over the limit but nothing that he said was ridiculs amounts. Though he did not have his helmet or jacket on there was not a scratch on his head. He said he had an extremely badly broken leg and hands very badly torn up. There was no pulse immediately at the scene. He had severe chest internal injuries. Even with his jacket it would not have saved him.

We should have word tonight what charges the truck driver will face.

He did not have full coverage on the bike BUT he DID have life insurance and other insurances that should provide for his family with him gone - THANK GOD.

I'm still having some issues with it myself but I have already volunteered to be a casket bearer.

Sean

Did he have a will? Sterling who was killed here (single guy) did'nt have one and I think the State took all his possessions (house, car, etc) except for personal items which his parents were allowed to keep. Watch out for the vultures

Sorry to hear of it Sean. I lost a riding buddy Aug 4th.
It ain't easy. Hang in there brother.

No will that I know of but state here isn't too bad except processing time. I think they keep 20% of sale proceeds.

Sean Morley

My God Sean, that's horrible news. My wife and I had a good friend suddenly die, just hours after talking to her, so I feel your pain. Hang in there, this will be one of the tougher things to deal with. If you need anyone to talk to, write to, someone just to listen, don't hesitate to contact me or, I would imagine, anyone on this forum, to help you out.

Gary

Sean, sorry to hear of the tragic events that have unfolded. Call me if there is anyhting I can do, anything at all.

Sean...my thoughts and prayers are with you and Scott's family tonight.

"God Bless"

Neil

Well, I just got back from the accident scene and found this thread. Yesterday I was driving home on Webb and saw a ton of Sheriff cars and was directed around the accident. All I saw was a truck in the middle of the road with its grill smashed in and what looked to me like an engine on the road. After driving closer I noticed a tail pipe and the first thing I thought was "dad"!! For some reason the tail-pipe looked like his and it wasn't until I saw some yellow parts of a fender that I realized it wasn't him.

I don't know if it is just because I recently bought the Max for my dad or that I have ridden it a few times or that I was at the scene near the time of the accident, but I have had a heavy heart since yesterday and I usually don't react that way... If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

A single father of three???........ terrible... just terrible...

I will be praying for those left behind...

P.S.

I take that route every day and tonight I stayed at the intersection for a moment to contemplate the reality that a man just lost his life there. The only thing that remains is the paint markings from the accident investigator and many stains and scrapes on the road. How fleeting life is...

Please be safe when you are on the road friends, and drive DEFENSIVELY!

MNK

Last edited:
well, if you take that route daily you pass withing 3-4 miles of my shop!

Sean

Just saw this post, Sean I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Life can really suck sometimes that's for sure. I know as I lost my Dad in an accident when I was 21.

My prayers are with his Family AND You.

If there is anything we as a group can do let us know..

Rusty

Back