Vmax help pops out of 2nd gear and gas leaks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagco1

Reaction score
He paid $4200.00 for the bike no motor mods only this a exhaust kerker bike is clean.

I friend of mind's bought 2000 vmax about a month ago he took the bike out for his 1st ride yesterday, He found these things wrong.

1st - Bike pops out of 2nd gear only when hard acceleration, if he go easy it will stay in gear.

2nd - Lift side carbs both small drain hoses leak gas he open up the 2 drain screws and shot some WD-40 through hose back up through the carbs to try to flash them out. He closed the drain screws start the bike up went for a ride no leak but when turn the bike off waited about in hour crank the bike up the lift side cards started leaking again.

"O" he wanted to no are these shocks any good has any 1 try them off of ebay

Any help on this thanks

The shocks are RFY

Attachments

• Vmax shocks RFY.JPG
    Vmax shocks RFY.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Shocks china CRAP. second gear infamous promblem not good gonna need tranny work. Fuel buy new o rings or if u have to replace whole set screw replace.. not sure if seal is built into set screw on these.. but thats the least of his worries.. tranny not good $$$$ hope the guy didnt dump his savings in buying bike he got hosed.. maybe some of the more tech savy on the vmax particular may have some tricks to buy some time im not sure.
Sorry to be so blunt about it

+1 what they said ^

Second gear drive dogs are worn, and there ain't no quick fix, sorry.
Do make sure the gear selector is correctly adjusted (just at the lever) so that he is getting a positive gear selection. It is possible the lever isn't getting up enough. But, it's probably going to cost him. Engine out, gearbox split, replace gears.

Them shockies are rubbish.

Contact Sean Morley (one2dmax on here), he'll help your mate out. Captain Kyle is good too, and he's closer to you. Both of them can sell you decent shockies for cheap, and fix/rebuild/exchange/modify motors.

hi guys, I told him not to buy the shocks and look for some better 1's. I will swing pass his house today and take look at the vmax with him.

Can the 4 drain screws and the washers be bought new if he need's them are they still on the market.

Man he paid $4200.00 for the bike off ebay with 15360 miles on it, he been trying to catch up with the seller.
He sold his Yamaha R1 for $4800.00 to buy the bike. He just about broke even with getting it ship to his house.

Man he kinda got the bike after riding my vmax bike last year with me ragging on his R1 bike beating him off the line a few times.

Yes, drain screws and o-rings are available, Morley has oem parts for sale. Chances are the screws have corrosion on the end, tell him to clean them up with steel wool before replacing, that usually works.

Also tell him to catch the drained fuel in a clear container and check for rust particles....usually corroded drain screws are a symptom of other problems like water in the float chambers or gas tank.

Thanks guy's I'm on may over his house to check out his bike. I will keep you posted.

We check out his bike together, Thanks Danny sanding the screw's seem to stop the leak.

His speedometer black cup at the front wheel lower fork was not in the slot to. we install it the right way.

I road his bike it's pops out of 2nd gear around 4000 rpm with me riding it.
We change the oil filter and oil, oil we used Shell Rotella-T 15w40 - bike now pops out of 2nd
around 7000 to 7500 rpm not below that now at last he can ride it some. Told him motor may have to be pull off to repair the tranny.

His bike has a jet kit not sure what type open top on the air box and a round k-n air filter. His vboost is not hook up and is set to closed. Why would this be closed? Why would it be not hook up?

Also this bike is hard start man even if you ride the about for about 10min's like it's flooded takes about 12 to 15 motor turn over's to start. When it's running no problems. Why would it be so hard to start?

Thanks for your input guy's, kinda feel his pain right now.

I feel his pain! I too bought a 2000 model Vmax for $4000 and imported it to Australia, only to find out the 2nd gear's screwed as well. Now looking at dropping the engine and splitting the cases to fix it - not easy and it's gonna be expensive.

I feel his pain! I too bought a 2000 model Vmax for $4000 and imported it to Australia, only to find out the 2nd gear's screwed as well. Now looking at dropping the engine and splitting the cases to fix it - not easy and it's gonna be expensive.

Man that mass up to, i'm going to help if he pulls the motor off the bike. He's pricing stuff out to way the pro's and con's. He kinda bought the bike so we can ride the same bikes together. He check with the local dealer ship they looking for
$2500.00 to repair it if he his the motor off the bike.

Man that mass up to, i'm going to help if he pulls the motor off the bike. He's pricing stuff out to way the pro's and con's. He kinda bought the bike so we can ride the same bikes together. He check with the local dealer ship they looking for
$2500.00 to repair it if he his the motor off the bike.
$2500 is stupid expensive for a repair specially with the engine out.

Engine out shop time is listed at 7 hours. That shop better be cleaner than a dentist's office for $350/hr. It's 14 hr with the motor in the bike. This is according to a local shop that gave me a quote.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yea dont take there. Have someone do it right and get the undercut tranny. Contact morleys muscle

Do you guy's no any MD may can do it for him. I thought $2500 was a bit high to.

I'm not sure if he will ship the motor, I will ask Sean his cost.

Also his bike is jetted with a round k/n air filter open top air box, why would the vboost not connected.

When he connected the vboost around 5000 and up started getting flat / with out the vboost it runs very strong.

Thanks guy's for your help.

Probably got a stage 7 kit installed, as reason for the k&n's and disconnected vboost. You probably need to rejet or clean the carbs as the reason to why it runs shitty.

Probably got a stage 7 kit installed, as reason for the k&n's and disconnected vboost. You probably need to rejet or clean the carbs as the reason to why it runs shitty.

thanks 44boyd, I got it now i will pass this over to him. My bike is setup the same way to.

I thought stage seven involves vboost full open all time didnt you say it was closed

Latest posts

Back