Vmax in storage issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennsVmax

Reaction score
I am considering buying a 1986 Vmax, 11k miles, Kerker pipe, been in storage 4 years.

I have zero mechanical skill (but at least I know it).

Anything I should be watchful for or best to leave it alone?

Glenn:ummm:

If the price is cheap, buy it and learn how to repair it. If you can follow directions step by step, the gurus on this forum can walk you through any repair it might need! Or part it out and make some $$$.

I bought the 06 for under $5K so I was thinking about buying an older max and selling the newer max. Might make enough close to enough off the sale to pay for the older max

That's a great price for an '06.

I still don't understand why you would want an older bike, when you already have the newer one? Is your '06 bad, damaged, worn out, something else wrong with it?

I mean, if you're really interested, I'll GIVE you my '86 for your '06!! It's sitting in Tampa..

Keep the 06, buy the 86 cheap and flip it. The 06 upgrades are worth keeping the bike... 1986, stored 4 years = work....:damn angry:

1986, stored 4 years = work....:damn angry:

Mine after over 20 years needed used carbs . Brake pads. tires. and a bunch of elbow grease. Probably spent $800 so far.

Could be a good learning experience, if that's what you're going for. Sitting for 4 years is plenty of time for the carbs to be crapped up if it was just parked one day and left there. That could be anywhere from a "seafoam" fix to a total teardown and rebuild, it's tough to tell. Rebuilding the vmax carbs seems to be a pretty harrowing experience, though there's a great step-by-step turorial with pictures here to hold your hand. Carbs and maybe the battery, but otherwise 4 years isn't that long of a time. My Magna was sitting(on the atlantic coast) for well over 10 years and the only thing it needed was new plug wires and tires. Amazingly, after running it for a bit, the initial rough running cleared itself up and never gave me so much as a hiccup afterward.

The "flip this bike" idea is probably the best way to go, unless you want 2 vmaxes. TBH, parting something out is a lot of work and can take a long time to get return on your investment. Get it running good, clean it up, toss some new rubber on it, and put it up for $2500.

Back