Vmax original exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenreesesr

Reaction score
From the time I purchased my 03 Vmax, I have been sporting Supertrapps. For something different I've decided to reinstall the factory exhaust. What's the trick, or what's the procedure. I've tried and tried, with no luck. To try and get four header pipes to align at the same time appears to be a real challenge. I've loosened the front header pipes, but not the rear. Thought I would check with the all knowing forum before going any further. Very tempted to put the Supertrapps back on, and that's probably the smarter move, but I'd like to finish what I set out to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

putting most of exhaust on is a chore.. but when it's done you'll feel pretty damn good about it... My UFO didn't want to line up right.. My issue was reading the instructions- think I had to read it 5 times before I caught what I was doing wrong...then it went together easy...

I've done it a number of times! The easiest way is to have an assistant - with someone holding the bleemin' thing in place it gets a lot easier..

But, also did it on my own when I didn't have anyone to help. I found the best way is to get a long ratchet strap and put it around the mufflers on both sides and over the seat, then adjust to hold them in place. A trolly jack underneath can also help - beware, the straps like to slip off so a bit of tape to hold them on is a good idea.

I've usually left the front headers alone, but slightly loosen the rear ones to help align everything. Once it's all lined up wiggle the mufflers on until the front headers are fully engaged.

Bolt on the muffler - both by the shocks and the single bolt underneath, then tighten the front headers muffler clamps.

Finally, use strips of wooden and a rubber mallet to tap the rear headers until fully engaged, then secure the clamps, and tighten the rear headers.

Job done! It is a real PITA, but oh the joy of a nice quiet Max afterward, I'm absolutely loving it. And, those big ol' buggers may be heavy, but they do look great IMHO :)

I was trying to short cut, and it wasn't working. I'll give your method a try. Thanks!

Thanks for all the help. Fire-Madic's thread sent me in the right direction. The key seems to be, "it's a Vmax, don't try to short cut." Pull the entire exhaust, including the crossover pipe, change the gaskets, I used a tail pipe spreader on the collector pipes. As Fire Medic's thread states, mount the factory tail pipes first. I started with the front headers, and ended with the rear. If you don't short cut, the job is not at all difficult.

Glad to assist, these guys have a lot of info and are happy to share. :punk:

Back