Vmax standard exhausts with Harley sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky9

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm proud to say that I'm a new Vmax owner:eusa_dance:
But I have 1 question: I love the sound of a Harley bike...
My Vmax is the 2003 Carbon version with standard exhausts.

If you want an idea how the bike must sound, follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B6k...y&list=PLBFDE426610FCB0AC&index=31&playnext=5

Can I get this sound from my bike withe standard exhausts but with some small modifications??? I don't want to buy new ones (cost to much money)
Can anyone help me??:ummm:

I don't think you will ever achieve the sound you are looking for from a Vmax...Heck Harley can't even make their V rod sound like the 2 cylinder thumper which they are famous for.

Congrats on the new Vmax and welcome to the forum! Some folks have removed the muffler end caps and drilled five holes in the muffler ends, this will give you some noise and won't change your tuning and performance of the bike. Although it still won't make it sound like a Harley it will give you some sound for free. Search the forum to find details and sound clips for this mod, if you truly want some great sound from the beast you will need to install some slip-ons or a full exhaust. I think once you are exposed to the full exhaust sound on a Vmax you will forget all about the Harley sound.

The best sound a Vmax can make is with a Kerker 4-1 header. It sounds WAY better than any Harley!!! It sounds like a frickin top fuel dragster!! I have Harley guys all the time turn green when I tach my bike up. Believe me if you hear one you'll start saving to buy it. Let alone it adds HP too. Ed

+1 on that, I had a friend that had your set-up, He made my Vmax sound like a moped.

The best sound a Vmax can make is with a Kerker 4-1 header. It sounds WAY better than any Harley!!! It sounds like a frickin top fuel dragster!! I have Harley guys all the time turn green when I tach my bike up. Believe me if you hear one you'll start saving to buy it. Let alone it adds HP too. Ed

Those cobras in the video you posted sound horrible and hurt performance to boot...

Do some research and discover what a real 4-2 or 4-1 full exhaust sounds like on a vmax and You'll never even want it to sound like a Harley, The vmax sounds way the hell better,,,,

And yes Harley guys do turn green when they hear it....

To get that rumble without spending money is imposible, any home brew mods to your stock system usually come out sounding like it's coming through a tin can.

Best to save up and buy a used system.

I agree, the drilled stock exhaust mod sounds wierd to me...Doesn't give the near the sound of a full exhaust......And if the holes are too small they just sound like a leaky exhaust...puff,pufff,puff,puff:biglaugh:

Don't get me wrong. I like potatoes as much as the next guy. I just wouldn't want to listen to my bike and hear potato potato.

Hi all, I'm proud to say that I'm a new Vmax owner:eusa_dance:
But I have 1 question: I love the sound of a Harley bike...
My Vmax is the 2003 Carbon version with standard exhausts.

If you want an idea how the bike must sound, follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B6k...y&list=PLBFDE426610FCB0AC&index=31&playnext=5

Can I get this sound from my bike withe standard exhausts but with some small modifications??? I don't want to buy new ones (cost to much money)
Can anyone help me??:ummm:

First, 2003 came with matte black with silver stripes, not the faux carbon fiber. Either you have the body parts from the 1999-2002, or you are mistaken about the year of your bike. Second, if you truly want the sound of a 'Hardley' I would recommend going to your garage, pick up the biggest hammer you have, and repeatedly hit yourself in the head with it until you knock some sense into yourself. If that doesn't work, buy an 883 sporty. Then you can have the crappy sound and the crappy performance that goes with it.

The V-Max can sound like a cammed big block V8 with the proper exhaust. Much better than the burp, burp, burp, blat, blat, blat of a Harley.

Sorry about the wise crack, sometimes I can't help it. Welcome to the forum.

Steve-o

Oh, the original post wasn't mine, I was just speculating.....I did have a HD guy once say My max sounded like a "Pack" of harleys,....

I told him "no....it just has the horsepower of a whole pack of Harleys":rofl_200:

If you want the harley sound, go take the muffler off of your lawn mower, that should get you close.

How to make your Vmax sound like a HD:

1. Sell Vmax.
2. Buy HD.

Presto! Now you've got that generic, annoying, gutless blat ta blat ta blat "signature sound" of a genuine Harley-Davidson (TM).

Otherwise, get a decent system (i.e not Cobras) and your Vmax will sound like a big-block V8 that will send the HD posers running for the hills.

Latest posts

Back