VMOA - Why?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears the VMOA leadership sees that the 'secret' to resurgence of the organization will be from some sort of a bottom-up effort.

It also appears that the rank and file membership sees any resurgence as a top-down effort.

Result: *crickets*

That all depends on what ppl are willing to do. Similar to the FAQ I helped with here. I'm currently working on all the tech articles w/pictures from all the Vboost mags from the 1st to the current for a section of the VMOA site.

Just my part with consolodating information for other Maxheads.

I agree with KJ in that enjoying the group riding experience depends on how much time/effort you're willing to put into it. This is true of many social activities. However, I have some extra expectations when it comes to paying to be a member of a club.

I've had 3 other club experiences: archery, volleyball, and darts. In each of these clubs you paid your dues, you got your newsletter, and you were guaranteed a certain number of events per week/month; all the members had to do was show up if he/she wanted. That was cool for the folks who wanted a few gatherings. If you were looking for more events than what the club provided then you were encouraged to hook up with other members and make your own arrangements.

I joined the VMOA expecting much of the same club format: a leadership group that communicated with its members, provided a set amount of regular gatherings and encouraged other members of the club to host events. Here in Ontario, the members did all the work including arranging & communicating their own rides...and it grew from there. Today, many Ontario VMax-ers (myself included) have cancelled their VMOA membership because we can continue to enjoy all the benefits of our rides, the experience/tech know-how of our fellow riders, and the camaraderie...all without having to pay a VMOA membership fee. I will give the VMOA credit though...they provided a convenient database by which VMax riders could locate/contact other VMax riders.

Just my 0.02 ($CAN)

Cheers!

Blaine Williams
Oshawa, Ontario

I agree with KJ in that enjoying the group riding experience depends on how much time/effort you're willing to put into it. This is true of many social activities. However, I have some extra expectations when it comes to paying to be a member of a club.

I've had 3 other club experiences: archery, volleyball, and darts. In each of these clubs you paid your dues, you got your newsletter, and you were guaranteed a certain number of events per week/month; all the members had to do was show up if he/she wanted. That was cool for the folks who wanted a few gatherings. If you were looking for more events than what the club provided then you were encouraged to hook up with other members and make your own arrangements.

I joined the VMOA expecting much of the same club format: a leadership group that communicated with its members, provided a set amount of regular gatherings and encouraged other members of the club to host events. Here in Ontario, the members did all the work including arranging & communicating their own rides...and it grew from there. Today, many Ontario VMax-ers (myself included) have cancelled their VMOA membership because we can continue to enjoy all the benefits of our rides, the experience/tech know-how of our fellow riders, and the camaraderie...all without having to pay a VMOA membership fee. I will give the VMOA credit though...they provided a convenient database by which VMax riders could locate/contact other VMax riders.

Just my 0.02 ($CAN)

Cheers!

Blaine Williams
Oshawa, Ontario

While you are spot on about most points, you are incorrect about is the statement "Today, many Ontario VMax-ers (myself included) have cancelled their VMOA membership ". To date there are 3 out of 65 folks on my list that have let your membership lapse. The reason you continue to receive the information from the VMOA chapter is because I choose not to alienate you or the others with the hope that all of you may realize the true benefits of the VMOA. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen which is sad.

Wow! It is very magnanimus of you to keep us aliens in the loop, Jim! However, if you have a change of heart I suppose I could ask Buster if he would give us outsiders a space where we could discuss Ontario rides that are not sanctioned by the VMOA...which I think is all of them except for Icebreaker and Lake-on-the-Mountain.

What effect would it have on our rides in Ontario if the VMOA folded tomorrow? Do you think the Parry Sound Ride would end...or the 507 run...or the Fall Colours...or the Niagara Ride without the VMOA? Would you stop hosting Icebreaker and would Lake on the Mountain end if the VMOA folded?

I guess I should have quantified the term "many". I can think of 5 riders that have resigned in the last 2 years. I won't mention names because of privacy. The fact that this thread exists proves that there's more than me who doesn't "get it" in terms of the VMOA.

Just another perspective, Jim! Embrace it!

Blaine Williams
Oshawa, Ontario

IMO if nothing else, the $45.00 is peanuts for the V-Boost mags and little extra goodies they throw in now & then (we spend that much & more on one trip to the bar). It's also a great sense of "belonging" to a small elite group.
Each is to their own.
Trevor

Without the VMOA I would not have met most of the Vmaxers I know!
The VMOA promotes the Vmax M/C we all love to ride and talk about. And I've never seen any non- vmaxer made unwelcome at any event.
But in the end the club is what the members make it. You get out of it what you put into it.

Dale #2592

Without the VMOA I would not have met most of the Vmaxers I know!

Dale #2592

A1 on that, I have probably 20 guys that live within 50 miles of me that i met throught the Vmoa, it's basically changed my life as I have made one hell of a lot of friends throught the Vmoa..

Rusty

Gotta give credit where it's due...the VMOA database showed me Vmax riders that were right under my nose so-to-speak. It does provide an excellent means for locating/communicating with other Max-ers.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys the VMOA. I saw this thread and decided to give my perspective on it.

Blaine

What I did/still doing is rounding up local Vmax owners for rides and membership.

Alaska dosn't have a regional director, he's in Canada. I have already contacted another cat who actually lives one street over from me. He and I are going to round up at least 3 others that we know of and get a small ride happening.

As for the magazine, it is what you make it. I've been working on a seriese of articles about my state, it's history and things to look for while touring through it. I've sent in many pictures to show some of the sites up here.

I heard this month's issue has some great tech info in it. I can't wait to get it in the mail.

I have read your articles in the V-Boost. They are great. My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska. Hopefully I will get to meet you. I have a old friend who moved to Homer. Hope also to get a line in the water.
Dave VMOA #3505

I guess it's all in what your expectations were upon joining the VMOA. If you were looking for organized ping-pong and 8 ball tournaments then the VMOA may not be your cup of tea.

I dragged my feet for 2 years before joining the VMOA because of my reluctance to join just that sort of organization. Preferring, instead, to provide my own intertainment without having to worry about adherring to some preset schedule.

So, speaking strictly for myself, the VMOA is the perfect organization. There are enough 'scheduled events,' should I decide to attend any, and now, with the VMOA and this site, there is a conduit through which I have met and become friends with several other v max owners, some nearby, and some across the country-or overseas.

As someone previously mentioned, the V-Boost alone is worth the $45. Where else am I going to find an article, written by a fellow Maxer, describing the beauties and history of Alaska? Or that another Maxer rode over 2,000 miles in 90 deg. plus heat with a thing called a 'cool zone riding vest', and it kept him comfortably cool? And, for guys like me, who are just beginning to get involved in 'in-house' mechanics, there is expert help available, from guys who are more than willing to offer it. All you have to do is print up your problem or question, the answer will show up usually within a few hours. You won't get that from the local bike shop I'll bet!

I have no problems with the VMOA.

The VMOA is like a potluck dinner. Inexpennsive! Bring what you want or bring nothing and get potluck. But if you bring nothing how can a person justify bitching? Nobody gets paid, all time is donated. I think everone should join if for no other reason than to take advantage of vendor discounts.
Dave #3505 VMOA

The VMOA is like a potluck dinner. Inexpennsive! Bring what you want or bring nothing and get potluck. But if you bring nothing how can a person justify bitching? Nobody gets paid, all time is donated. I think everone should join if for no other reason than to take advantage of vendor discounts.
Dave #3505 VMOA

Good point. Plus it has a great database for finding/contacting other riders. Not bitching here, just stating my opinion. Good thing I didn't say I was a Liberal....oops.

Blaine

Yeah, I haven't seen a single ride in our region. Rocky Mountains...

Yeah, my Dad and I have invited quite a few people on some rides. But we did just get a new head of our region two days ago (just found this out last night) - so perhaps that'll help

We had 9 vmax's and 3 non-max bikes on the memorial ride Sat. Most all are VMOA members.

Sean

:hijacked::hijacked::eek:ff topic sign: LOL, we have gone waaaaaaaay off topic here. Will start a new thread in the hookups area just for the Alaska 2010 or bust ride:biglaugh:

Why not?
Everyone has the option to join or not to join.
I personally look forward to each issue of the V-Boost. And, I too have made many very close friends via the VMOA. When the club was in it's infancy, it was much easier to keep in touch and organize get togethers.
There was also the esprit de corps attitude of belonging to something new. Now, there are 5K+ members. Vmaxers for the most part are waaay more independent than the Big Twin crowd. Ever try to herd cats?

On a side note, I too am guilty of not putting forth the effort. It's been a couple of years since I've attended a Vmax gathering. I have all the usual excuses.... However, a life changing event has put things in a new perspective for me. I intend to get out a lot more in the future!

As for the annual pittance, I'm still ahead by about 20 years from all the tech info, parts discounts, and sweetheart deals from other members!
Kelly

We also like to get together for good times.

hre's some examples....

OF COURSE... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER... EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN US.

BIKETOBERFEST 2008
OCT 16-19, 2008

WEDS/15 7:00PM EARLYBIRD GET-TOGETHER PIRANA BAR AND GRILL-ORMOND
241 N US-1 (Ridgewood Ave) Ormond Beach. Head North on US-1 (Ridgewood) towards Ormond Beach. Once you cross over US-40, Pirana Bar and Grill will be on the right about 1/2 mile.
THURS/16 4:30PM VMOA DINNER - BLACKWATER INN SR44 DELAND
Enjoy a scenic ride thru Deland/DeLeon Springs to the Blackwater Inn and Restaurant on the St Johns River in Astor, Florida. Meet at McDonalds in Daytona. Take Int'l Speedway Blvd west out past the track towards Deland. Just after you pass under the I-95 bridge, look for a BP gas station on your right.You can top off your fuel tanks, then McDonalds is a few doors down from BP. The ride will head up I-95N to exit 268, SR-40 in Ormond Beach. Turn left onto SR-40 towards Barberville / Silver Springs / Ocala. Stay on SR-40 for about 26 miles. Along the way, you will pass thru Barberville at US17, then a few more miles and you will go over the St John’s River in Astor, then turn left onto Blackwater Lane. Turn right onto W Michigan Ave. Blackwater Inn has dining, overlooks the river, and has a lounge upstairs (Williams Landing) with entertainment. You can view the menu, directions events etc at www.blackwaterinn.com. Ph.(888)-533-3422 For those who want to meet us there, our dinner reservation is for 6:00 PM. Ask for the Walter Bishop or VMOA reservation.
FRI/17 9:00AM VMOA RIDE - Canaveral Seashore Preserve
We will be meeting at 9:00am at Chick-Fil-A. 100 N Williamson Blvd, Daytona Bch, FL 32114
(its across the street from the west end of the speedway on the corner of Williamson and International Speedway Blvd.) Ride leaves at 9:30, so get there a few minutes early if you want to grab a chicken biscuit before we head out. Bring all your friends! as we welcome all riders on two wheeled vehicles.
Ride is tentatively set to run south behind the speedway, then east to the coast. We'll then head south on US1 out to the Cape Canaveral National Seashore Preserve. I personally like to go out to the Cocoa Beach Pier or Coconuts on the Beach for Lunch, but as always, plans are flexible and any good inputs are welcome. Its All Good! So Tune up your carbs, fill your tanks, and saddle up to ride!
See You There!
82ndCowboy-4639
Call me, Robert Cummings for any info or directions.
407-616-3241
SAT/18 12:00PM VMOA BBQ-BOXENSTOPP-HOLLY HILL
Boxenstopp has moved from Ballough Ave in Daytona. They have moved a few miles north to Holly Hill. The new address is 1299 State Ave, Unit 1, Holly Hill 32117. Phone # 386-226-2077. 2 ways to get there. Take I-95 to exit 265 (LPGA Blvd), go north towards beach about 4 miles, then turn left on State St, at the radio tower. Shop is about 1/4 mile down on the right. If you are coming from Daytona on Ridgewood Ave, LPGA Blvd is 1 mile past Daytona Fun Machines. Turn left on LPGA, then an immediate right onto State St. You will be able to pickup VMOA event schedules when they are available.
Walt Bishop
VMOA #1809
SE Reg Director
[email protected]
cel 396.801.4270

Dave #3505 VMOA

Roger that. I have been a member for less than 6 months and have probably cut even with discounts alone. I for one did not have any pre existing expectation's before joining. I had never been a part of any club but can see where some would feel jilted I guess. To me the Max isn't in the same league as your run of the mill HD's which have riders all over the place and rides all the time. To me, the Max is the MAJOR league of scoots. A different kind of bike for a different kind of rider. Personally, I would rather ride alone or with like minded folks on sport bikes etc than ride with a bunch of dirt bags just to have someone to ride with. I have yet to meet any fellow maxers but as soon as I get to Virginia I am going to make an effort to meet and ride with some from these sites if they are willing. :punk:

Back