VMOA - Why?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ape..where in VA..if near DC am going to try and get something going in the spring

I will be in the Chester area around Ft Lee. I should be there at the beginning of March but have to get moved and settled in before I go outside and play:confused2:lol. I will still be on leave all the way through April the 10th and hopefully be settled in by the end of March. I also have a buddy(ex Vmax owner) up there with an old ZX11 that is an avid rider. If the moons align I would love to hook up with some of you gents and possibly drag him along with me. Now that I got a seat that will allow for some serious riding, I will be more prone to venture off a little farther if my back will hold up.

m, I read the Regional News for this region, and I see one event in November? That's it? And, the info is written for those that have attended every year. Nothing there would give a new member any incentive to go....that I can tell. And, the event is three months away.

Just seems sort of sad really, when you look at this site and it's technical info, starvmax.com for its work on digging up info on the new VMax. Both of those activities, in addition to working to gather Maxxers often, seem as if they would be the heart and soul activities of an owner's association.

It's all about the riders, IMHO. Want to go on more rides? Find a good core group of folks in your area, communicate with each other and enjoy as many rides as you wish. (they don't have to be all VMax-ers either, just good folks who like to ride and BS), vmaxforum.net has a map locator where you can find other riders in your area and links where you can advertise a ride you may be interested on taking or view other people's ride proposals. It helps when you have a fellow rider in your group who loves to organize stuff. But, you do not need to pay a club premium to do any of this.

Want tech info from the best? Free forums like this one, VMOAchat, and VMOAtech have members that can answer any of your questions and they help VMOA members/non-members alike.

Want discounts? Call your local vendor and offer cash...you'll save at least the tax on most items. Let them know that you are part of an online community like vmaxforum.net and they may give you a discount just because they'll want the good PR on your website...word of mouth is the best advertising, after all. I save 15% doing these very things.

If you like to be a member of a club and enjoy its specific perks then, by all means, join a club keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the only potluck in town.

Cheers!

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

I've got close to 60 #'s in my phone contacts list of Vmaxxers in the Gulf Coast region of Texas, that I met primarily through the VMOA's twice yearly Bandera rides as well as local weekend stuff now and then...

That alone was the price of admission.......i might know two local maxxers if it wasn't for VMOA......

now if I didn't live in a Major Metropolitan region it might be different tho''''

It's all about the riders, IMHO. Want to go on more rides? Find a good core group of folks in your area, communicate with each other and enjoy as many rides as you wish. (they don't have to be all VMax-ers either, just good folks who like to ride and BS), vmaxforum.net has a map locator where you can find other riders in your area and links where you can advertise a ride you may be interested on taking or view other people's ride proposals. It helps when you have a fellow rider in your group who loves to organize stuff. But, you do not need to pay a club premium to do any of this.

Want tech info from the best? Free forums like this one, VMOAchat, and VMOAtech have members that can answer any of your questions and they help VMOA members/non-members alike.

Want discounts? Call your local vendor and offer cash...you'll save at least the tax on most items. Let them know that you are part of an online community like vmaxforum.net and they may give you a discount just because they'll want the good PR on your website...word of mouth is the best advertising, after all. I save 15% doing these very things.

If you like to be a member of a club and enjoy its specific perks then, by all means, join a club keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the only potluck in town.

Cheers!

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

I think that's the hardest thing for club members to remember. New members have signed up since last year and they need to continue explaining the ride details fully to everyone.

I have a real issue with clubs. Not sure why, but I think it stems back to the "clicks" in high school. I look at clubs as a place for the "clicky" people to go and be themselves. That being said I did belong to the VMOA but let it expire. I'll probably jump back on when it warms up again so that I can participate in the rides and such and not feel like a heel. I belong but I never really b-e-l-o-n-g. lol

I have met more members here from my area than at the VMOA.

Chris

I think that's the hardest thing for club members to remember. New members have signed up since last year and they need to continue explaining the ride details fully to everyone.

I have a real issue with clubs. Not sure why, but I think it stems back to the "clicks" in high school. I look at clubs as a place for the "clicky" people to go and be themselves. That being said I did belong to the VMOA but let it expire. I'll probably jump back on when it warms up again so that I can participate in the rides and such and not feel like a heel. I belong but I never really b-e-l-o-n-g. lol

I have met more members here from my area than at the VMOA.

Chris

During the time I was a VMOA member I certainly appreciated the database to find/contact other members in my area and find out about events. At that time the VMOA was the only site I knew that had such a wealth of info. After doing some research and talking to other riders I found out about Vmaxforum.net, VMOA-chat, and VMOA-tech; not only are these sites/forums free to join, they are not prone to technical difficulties.

Paid club membeships can be useful. I joined the Canadian Motorcycle Association in 2006. For 35 dollars/yr I get a family membership that entitles all members to motorcycle insurance discounts (I save 50/yr for being a member), a list of vendors for discounts, a catalogue of events across Canada, maps, etc. I also get a sew-on patch and a glow-in-the-dark CMA decal that says I'm part of the club.

You often hear club members say, "you get what you put into it". While this statement is true, you do not need to be a club member to enjoy this philosophy; simply put in an effort to find other riders and go! As I mentioned before, it helps if you or a friend enjoy using the computer or phone to communicate with others to get the ball rolling.

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

I just signed on to the VMOA Store and got a $5 gift cert., nothing wrong with that! Did a little browsing and bought a nice gray long sleeve logoed & lettered sweat shirt for $21 TMD. It's a Hanes Beefy T......there's a good reason to join the VMOA.....they got nice stuff at a reasonable price!

I just signed on to the VMOA Store and got a $5 gift cert., nothing wrong with that! Did a little browsing and bought a nice gray long sleeve logoed & lettered sweat shirt for $21 TMD. It's a Hanes Beefy T......there's a good reason to join the VMOA.....they got nice stuff at a reasonable price!

+1, I just took advantage of thier 2 shirts for $25 the other day.

i live in baytown along with several maxes we are headed to bandera april 3rd email me for a ride

+1, I just took advantage of thier 2 shirts for $25 the other day.

A Costco or Sam's Club membership will cost about the same...get all the clothes you want and have a few bucks left to have someone silk-screen vmax logos on your gear. Alternatively you could buy some cool VMF T's from Buster. Blaine Williams Ontario, Canada

A Costco or Sam's Club membership will cost about the same...get all the clothes you want and have a few bucks left to have someone silk-screen vmax logos on your gear. Alternatively you could buy some cool VMF T's from Buster. Blaine Williams Ontario, Canada

I have a sam's membership. finding a decent 3xl shirt is impossible up here at sam's, having a 59" chest and 46" waist puts me right out of the sam's clothing shopping.

I would buy a VMF t-shirt but I haven't seen a 3xl advertised only xl in the buy and sell section.

Silk screening isn't cheap here. not worth the setup fee or the minimum number to buy. I went that route back when I was still racing.

I like the thought of supporting the VMOA. Don't really see Costco or Sam's Club doing a whole lot for the V Max community.

They provide work for the non-English speaking, non-citizen portion of the community.

What huge money-making business in the world does support the VMax community? Yamaha, I guess.

Not sure about all places in Canada and the USA but the local Wal-Mart here in Oshawa employs all Canadian citizens. Some big-box store employees may be VMax riders or even VMOA members.

Now, gotta do some laundry...let's see. I've got a VMOA hat made in China, a VMOA tennis shirt made Vietnam, and a VMOA T-shirt made in Salvador...

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

I just joined last week, but I've seen them around for as long as I've had a computer,....I have magazines with articles of the Vmax with them mentioned in a few.
We don't seem to have the numbers here in Canada , but with the VMOA and this network I hope to meet more peeps that are as taken with this bike as much as riding. Hopefully joining in a run with them if possible.

I always wanted a Vmax. Seeing that there was an organization like the VMOA sealed the deal for me. Through it's network I have met many Ontario and US members. Through VMOA members info and support I've had the confidence to do essentially all the maintenance and mods to my bike. I probably would not have ever attempted some without this support.

To me that's why the VMOA exists. Friends, rides, yak about bikes!
I will continue to "pass it on" and pay the membership dues which I have more than already recouped.

Dale
VMOA #2592

What huge money-making business in the world does support the VMax community? Yamaha, I guess.

Not sure about all places in Canada and the USA but the local Wal-Mart here in Oshawa employs all Canadian citizens. Some big-box store employees may be VMax riders or even VMOA members.

Now, gotta do some laundry...let's see. I've got a VMOA hat made in China, a VMOA tennis shirt made Vietnam, and a VMOA T-shirt made in Salvador...

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

I might be missing your point Max, but the VMOA is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Haven't checked lately but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart & Sam's Club t-shirts are from China, Vietnam & San Salvador also.

The difference is all VMOA employees are Americans and all the profits from their sales go towards supporting the continued existence of the VMOA.

I detected a slight hint of cultural bias in some feedback to my Sam's Club and Costco suggestion.

e.g. "They provide work for the non-English speaking, non-citizen portion of the community."

My point is compare my observations below and try to appreciate the irony:

Big-box stores: Huge retailers. They import cheap goods from 3rd world countries who's people probably don't speak English and are not USA or Canadian citizens. They hire millions of employees. Random chance is that some of these employees ride VMax's and/or are VMOA members and that those VMOA members' dues give back to the VMOA community. I know I am talking small percentages here but multiply that small percentage across all the countries and the millions of employees of big-box stores and you may have quite a few VMOA members "giving back".

VMOA Store: Small retailer. Sells many items from 3rd world countries. Almost certainly all 100% of the comparably very few employees they hire are VMOA members giving back to the community.

Another point is that biased comments like the one I quoted above may give your foreign VMOA members the impression that this club is the V-Max Owners of America and not a world-wide organization. Or do all the VMOA members worldwide speak English only?

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

As a side note, the VMF shirts are printed up here by a shop in Ontario! :th_image003:

Back