Voltage Regulation?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondocker

Reaction score
Is there a chart of specified voltage output at various RPM?

Does anyone here have a Voltmeter gauge mounted?

On my last couple of monthly checks, I added distilled water to the battery. Granted it's been darned hot here in Las Vegas this summer. In the past, I have used a multimeter across the battery and determined that max voltage output was around 14.5 volts at 1500 RPM, it was less above and below 1500. Just recently, I checked again and found that it steadily climbed to around 16.7 volts at 5000 RPM. This was in the garage, in neutral, so I didn't rev higher than that, but this about my ideal cruising RPM. Is this overcharging? If so, is Rectifier/Regulator replacement indicated?

Thanks,
Neil

Yes it is a problem with your regulator and is overcharging your battery. This causes the water/acid mix to boil, this is why you have to keep adding water. Usually the VMax has the opposite problem of a low charge. You will have to get this fixed or it will destroy your battery.

That's what I figured. I just never heard of one of these notorious under-chargers actually overcharging, but that's what my meter tells me. I've ordered an Odyssey PC680 battery but won't install it until I replace the R/R with a late model unit that I ordered today.

Are there any tips for replacing the regulator? Does the bracket it's mounted to have to come off first? It doesn't look like there's enough room for a screwdriver without removing something else.
Thanks,
Neil

Yeah, remove the left passenger footpeg bracker. I think there are 3-4 bolts holding it on. Make sure you get a late model version of R/R that has cooling fins. Just run the extra grounding wire to the negative battery post.

Mark

Latest posts

Back