Warped Galfer rotors???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
Well after doing my front brake upgrades i was very happy(busa clipers, galfer pads, galfer floating wave rotors) I put about 1200milesw on them when one day they started pulsing at low speeds when i slow down. Feels like warped rotors to me, but im not sure how to verify that forsure. Glafer sounds like they might not warranty them because they arent the "correct" rotors for my bike. Has anyone had this issue with Galfer?? They are suppose to call me back tomarrow after talking to the manager to let me know if they will do anything about it. Is there anything i can prepare for to say if they tell me they wont warranty them?? I really dont want to be out $500 on rotors!! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Jason

Well after doing my front brake upgrades i was very happy(busa clipers, galfer pads, galfer floating wave rotors) I put about 1200milesw on them when one day they started pulsing at low speeds when i slow down. Feels like warped rotors to me, but im not sure how to verify that forsure. Glafer sounds like they might not warranty them because they arent the "correct" rotors for my bike. Has anyone had this issue with Galfer?? They are suppose to call me back tomarrow after talking to the manager to let me know if they will do anything about it. Is there anything i can prepare for to say if they tell me they wont warranty them?? I really dont want to be out $500 on rotors!! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Jason

Might not be warped, rather just stuck. get some lube on the joints that hold the rotor on the carrier (see the picture). Sometimes they lock up a bit and not allow the rotors to float. A friend of mine bought some wavy's and this happened. Some lube (we used graphite) and a light tapping with a rubber mallot and they were as good as new.

Attachments

• points.jpg
    points.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 47
Might not be warped, rather just stuck. get some lube on the joints that hold the rotor on the carrier (see the picture). Sometimes they lock up a bit and not allow the rotors to float. A friend of mine bought some wavy's and this happened. Some lube (we used graphite) and a light tapping with a rubber mallot and they were as good as new.

Oh.... hmm never even thought of that, ill go clean and lube them right now. Thanks

Jason

my non-floating galfer warped within like 500 miles. badly. was .015" off, they're 'replace' spec is .003"

Agree with Mr Shover - check the bobbins allow some movement first.

When folk get brake judder the assumption is that run-out, a side to side warping of the disk, is the cause.

The vibration that is felt is caused by the pumping effect as the caliper pistons move over the disks.

A caliper will tolerate a fair degree of run-out before it manifests as an issue because as the disk pushes one side of the caliper pistons the other side comes out. Little brake fluid is forced back against the action of the master cylinder therefore little vibration.

It is far less tolerant of thickness variation.
In this scenario the pistons on both sides of the caliper move out and back together, displacing fluid back to the master cylinder therefore vibration.

Well Kjshover you were right!!! i cleaned all the "floating wave rotor joints" and then used graphite lube and no pulsing!!! I feel safe braking in turns again and dont feel like and idiot coming to a stop light with my front end bouncing up and down:clapping:
Thanks

jason

Well Kjshover you were right!!! i cleaned all the "floating wave rotor joints" and then used graphite lube and no pulsing!!! I feel safe braking in turns again and dont feel like and idiot coming to a stop light with my front end bouncing up and down:clapping:
Thanks

jason

:thumbs up:

Back