Way to go girlie!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Had to make a stop at the bank this morning and selected a remote parking spot for my '96....(you know where this is going, right?)

I come out of the bank and the bike is lying on the right side with a few broken peices next to her on the blacktop. I'll skip the ugly part, the swearing, cops, reports, insurance hassles...all that shit...and go straight to the damage.

The usual, broken front brake lever, scrapped up signals, crash bar, right side grip, stuff like that. The Hindle can got pretty well molded to the right shock so that's trash but the biggie is, the v boost won't work any more! I have a momentary switch hooked up so I can open or close the boost anytime I want....well, thinking it may be something in the switch I removed all associated wiring and returned it to original. Turned the key on & off several times and nothing! It won't cycle.

Anyone ever heard of this happening on a tip over..for sure it jarred it pretty good when it hit the parking lot but could it kill the v boost controller??? :confused2:

Pretty sure I have a brake lever if you don't have one on hand. PM me and it'll be in the mail tomorrow if I can find it.

Enraged Harley owner angry that you use the same bank? Soft asphalt allowed a sinking sidestand? Some cellphone-talkin', Starbucks-swillin' idiot not paying-attention?

Bypass the controller and apply power direct to the servo. The manual will tell you what wires to test with. The controllers are known to fail at the solder joints. Maybe one of them broke loose from the impact.

Oh....left that part out didn't I! Some chick pulled in the bank parking lot, drove up past the bike, then cramped it off and backed right into it knocking it over on the right side.

There was this husky dude sitting in his Jeep right by the bike ...I come out the bank door and he jumps out saying...'It wasn't me, man, I didn't do it!' I go, 'Who the fuck did!' He points to this forlorn looking chick sitting in a Ford SUV...'She did it.'

The kid helped me right it....actually picked it up by himself while I ran around making sure the kickstand was down. Then me 'n the chick...cops included...got the paperwork sorted out.

Dave, I would appreciate the brake lever very much....thank you. :worthy:

Not sure what to do about the can....it appears the flange the aluminum bolts to is welded to the big out pipe, it's a 4 - 1 Hindle....not sure if I can find another can, or go with something else or what....probly easy enough to figure out tho but what the hell's the deal with the boost? :ummm:

Bypass the controller and apply power direct to the servo. The manual will tell you what wires to test with. The controllers are known to fail at the solder joints. Maybe one of them broke loose from the impact.

Think that's what I'm doing already Mike, with the momentary switch. The controller is the flat box on the right side of the elec. panel behind the left scoop, right? I go from the switch directly to the servo motor.

I said controller but mis-spoke!

I see what you're saying Mike, going back to the oem set-up and having it not work is to be expected if the controller got ruined.

But at the time it got tipped over all that was powered thru the momentary switch were the two servo motor wires....and moving the switch forward and backward got no response from the motor.

I need to have a look see at the servo, do some wire probing and stuff, maybe a connector issue? :confused2: That would be nice!

Dan-o, sorry to hear this!

My bike fell off the stand last year and vboost stopped working. I believe the motor itself was the issue. I took the carbs off and messed with it and it started working. I orignally thought it was the controller.

Send me your address again. I don't think it'll get there with a piece of tape with your name on it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Dan-o, sorry to hear this!

My bike fell off the stand last year and vboost stopped working. I believe the motor itself was the issue. I took the carbs off and messed with it and it started working. I orignally thought it was the controller.

It's a heartbreaker isn't it Mark-o! Lucky it wasn't the 1260, that would have really un-did me!

So that happened with your yellow '99? Never had any more issues with the vboost?

That's sucks ! At least she hung around & did not just burn off.

I thanked her for that Kyle, she said she would never drive away after doing something like that, I told her a lot of people would. We've read about it several times here on the forum.

Send me your address again. I don't think it'll get there with a piece of tape with your name on it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

PM sent....thanks again Dave! :punk:

My god my guts are turning reading this!!! Sorry for your headache and good luck getting her back together!

It's a heartbreaker isn't it Mark-o! Lucky it wasn't the 1260, that would have really un-did me!

So that happened with your yellow '99? Never had any more issues with the vboost?

I thanked her for that Kyle, she said she would never drive away after doing something like that, I told her a lot of people would. We've read about it several times here on the forum.

PM sent....thanks again Dave! :punk:

That happened to me at Christmastime, at the Thanksgiving sales, in the Sears parking lot. A *&*&^%$##! SUV backed-into my quarter panel, crushing it, and took-off. There were lots of people around, coming and going, but no one volunteered a license tag, and the ASS___ didn't stop.

Hey, at-least you weren't on it when it happened! Hope you get it fixed soon for the rest of the riding season.

Happened to me a few weeks ago. I parked Max in a parking lot behind a sign. Lady pulled in, reversed out 15 minutes later and rolled the bike. I took it (still mobile) to my Local Yamaha dealer and was assessed at $4250 in damage. Insurance company (hers) shelled out inside a week. All fixed now as it was for under $1000. Biggest pita was having to buy two levers, four turn signals and a pair of mirrors when I just needed half of that order. Engine case was repainted locally for $20 but my biggest expense was an $850 Shoei helmet hanging on the right footpeg. Texting bitches get my goat :bang head:
I feel your pain but don't fuck around, take her to the dealer and get OEM Yamaha replacement cost parts. Then go on ebay and pocket the difference.
Chris.

Hindle still has several different mufflers available for the Max.

Sorry to hear this Danny. On the brighter side it sounds like she tapped it over lightly and didn't cream the f'n thing. I'm just glad she didn't screw on ya and actually stuck around. At least you'll get all you're shit paid for.

Thanks guys....it could have been way worse, no doubt about that!

Think it was a couple years ago a forum member came out of work to find his bike tipped over in the lot....nobody around....that would totally suk! So, yeah, at least she hung around....altho I find out later the kid in the Jeep (the one who helped me pick up the bike) was smacking on her roof as 'I was moving to another spot' after hitting the bike, telling her to stop.

Was she fixin' to run? :confused2: Anyhow....she didn't.

Unbelievably, she pulled in the lot, drove by at least 6 empty parking spots and chose the one way at the end, the one with my bike in it, to back into....it boggles the mind! :ummm:

Oh yeah, all new Yamaha replacement parts and a new Hindle can (thanks Don, I'll check that out), I went from one end of that bike to the other in the last year getting it all fixed up....if I wanted a rat job I'd a left it the way it was when I bought it! :biglaugh:

If you dont hear the vboost servo cycling when you turn the key on, then it could just be something as easy as a loose/corroded connection. Check the relay since this happened to me once and just unplugging the relay terminals, cleaning them up and connecting again all was fine. Not sure if you had the relay off to begin with and placed it back on when you went to stock setup again...If so, moot point!

Had to make a stop at the bank this morning and selected a remote parking spot for my '96....(you know where this is going, right?)

I come out of the bank and the bike is lying on the right side with a few broken peices next to her on the blacktop. I'll skip the ugly part, the swearing, cops, reports, insurance hassles...all that shit...and go straight to the damage.

The usual, broken front brake lever, scrapped up signals, crash bar, right side grip, stuff like that. The Hindle can got pretty well molded to the right shock so that's trash but the biggie is, the v boost won't work any more! I have a momentary switch hooked up so I can open or close the boost anytime I want....well, thinking it may be something in the switch I removed all associated wiring and returned it to original. Turned the key on & off several times and nothing! It won't cycle.

Anyone ever heard of this happening on a tip over..for sure it jarred it pretty good when it hit the parking lot but could it kill the v boost controller??? :confused2:

Back