Weak starter :/

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satariel666

Reaction score
I've tried to start the max but the relay just clicking.
I've conected a 12v directly to the starter.
Nothig.

Removed the starter from engine and conect to suply and ist spinning.
I can stop him spinning by holding with fingers!
I don't think thats normal.

My idea thats the starter is to weak to spin the engine.

I take to pieces my starter.
Evrything looks ok, no dust or something.
I've clean him up.
Reassembled.

Still the same.
Starter seams too weak to oparate the engine.

Rest of engine are ok.
A can turn the flywheel.

Have no idea :/

Yamaha 99"

Probably a bad set of windings or a short not allowing full electrical conversion. Time for a new starter.

Sean

Not even close to normal. The starter should turn with much more power then that.

A normal starter motor could chew your fingers up if you tried to stop it.

Ditto the above. Your starter motors windings are almost certainly toast. If it's not generating any torque but gets hot quickly, you have a short in it, if it's not generating any torque and not drawing any load either you've got a burnt winding and the impedance is way up.

Either way, answers the same. She's a'broke, replace eet.

Thank 's again.

My friend gave me an another posibility.
He said that could be STARTER CLUTCH.

In he's case that was the problem.
SC blocking the crankshaft.

I don't know is that tru becouse that friend somethimes have incredibles stories :biglaugh:

Now must find a new starter.
In my counrty it cost ~250$ :bang head:
At least on ebay 100$ plus shipping ~50$.

That's really sucks :)

Ditto the above. Your starter motors windings are almost certainly toast. If it's not generating any torque but gets hot quickly, you have a short in it, if it's not generating any torque and not drawing any load either you've got a burnt winding and the impedance is way up.

Either way, answers the same. She's a'broke, replace eet.

You don't beileve but starter looks perfect inside, like a new.
I cant see any bents or something.
I've run him about 3min and it's not even a litlle hot :ummm:

That's realy strange.

I've tried to start the max but the relay just clicking.
I've conected a 12v directly to the starter.
Nothig.

Removed the starter from engine and conect to suply and ist spinning.
I can stop him spinning by holding with fingers!
I don't think thats normal.

My idea thats the starter is to weak to spin the engine.

I take to pieces my starter.
Evrything looks ok, no dust or something.
I've clean him up.
Reassembled.

Still the same.
Starter seams too weak to oparate the engine.

Rest of engine are ok.
A can turn the flywheel.

Have no idea :/

Yamaha 99"
DUDE , ARE YOU F!@#^*G CRAZY ? THERES ONLY ONE THING I STICK MY FINGERS IN & IT AINT A STARTER ! :rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Make sure the brush springs are strong and not rusted and that the brushes look good and aren't chipped or broken and that they make good contact with the communicator. You may want to take some emry cloth to the communicator (where the brushes make contact with the windings). Do not use steel wool as small pieces may be left behing and could cause small shorts. After you get any brush residue off, it may be a good idea to take a small dental pick or screwdriver and clean out the small gap between each of the copper communicators. Get some electrical cleaner and put it back together. It may work, it may not. You can also do some testing to determine if there is a short.. not too difficult.

Make sure the brush springs are strong and not rusted and that the brushes look good and aren't chipped or broken and that they make good contact with the communicator. You may want to take some emry cloth to the communicator (where the brushes make contact with the windings). Do not use steel wool as small pieces may be left behing and could cause small shorts. After you get any brush residue off, it may be a good idea to take a small dental pick or screwdriver and clean out the small gap between each of the copper communicators. Get some electrical cleaner and put it back together. It may work, it may not. You can also do some testing to determine if there is a short.. not too difficult.

Brushes are in perfect shape and condition.
Springs also.

I've even cleaned a communicator(in Poland-komutator) whit a 2000 sandpaper
Gaps are clean, clean them and blow with air.

It didint work :)

There are a number of tests in the service manual if you want to be sure, and you have a micrometer and a meter. download the manual at vmaxoutlaw.com from the "tech" links on the left of the page. Example : Commutator wear limit, diameter may be no less than 27mm, etc.

I think it's wasted, but for what you'd have to pay, run it thru the manual tests and hope for the best.

There are a number of tests in the service manual if you want to be sure, and you have a micrometer and a meter. download the manual at vmaxoutlaw.com from the "tech" links on the left of the page. Example : Commutator wear limit, diameter may be no less than 27mm, etc.

I think it's wasted, but for what you'd have to pay, run it thru the manual tests and hope for the best.
Checked with manual already.
Mesured with micrometer and its fine.
Also cheked a brush length.

The starter in manual is an old type, two brush.
I have 4 brush type.
The old type have an ball bearing in front and rear.
New type have ball only in front.
In the rear have a pan.

Latest posts

Back