What to do If I can't start my bike for a few months

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmartone

Reaction score
Been busy on upgrades to Battery, Stator, Rectifier/Regulator, StarterClutch, Magnet for Rotor Assy, and is taking longer than I hoped. Last I started my bike was about 1 month ago. Any ideas on how to keep it healthy ie carbs..fuel... in the interim??

At the very least drain the gas out of the carbs although it might have already evaporated out by now if you didnt drain them in the first place.

I wouldn't drain the carbs. Put fuel treatment in full tank and run bike for several minutes. Turn key every couple days to keep float bowls full. Otherwise rubber parts will shrink, especially jet block caps.

I was told keep the tank full of petrol all of the time , and when you start it up take it for a good ride , easier said than done . As for most of you guys it gets bad in winter weather wise.
I have visions of the Vmax version of Ice Road Truckers .:ummm:

Starting it for a little bit every so often is about the worst thing you can do to an engine. Just store it with clean oil and seafoam in the tank and you'll be golden. Many will spray the whole bike (not the brakes) with WD-40 and store it and then simple green it off in the spring. Mine's inside in a heated basement so I just let it sit.

Oh, get a battery tender from Deltran too. The little Jr. is fine.

I've pretty much always:

• Top off the tank with a couple of oz's of stabil or other fuel stabilizer
  • Run the bike for a few to get the fuel circulated
  • pop the plugs and squirt a small amount of WD40 in the cyls, then turn over a few times and replace the plugs.
  • Check the coolant.
  • Park the bike on its center stand.
I went this route for pretty much all my bikes, even the ones I've kept outside in the -60deg winter. I haven't had a lick of problems come spring time.

Only different thing with the max this year is it's smaller then my goldwing so I have it in the garage on a battery tender, but all the things in the list were done.

Back