whats a good clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, ninja... my L hand hurts when I get stuck on traffic jams so I'm looking for an easier to engage clutch. I've bought a pair of ajustable levers too, from ebay. They're from China (Xing-Ling, so maybe it might even shine or have LEDs!! they love it!!) so I'm still waiting for It.
If it doesn't work I'll try these FRJ1300... does the brake MC works well too? Just in case... :D

Thanks!

I have a nice master cylinder for sale with a 14 mm bore that will make clutch pull easier on your hand. See this thread.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=22835

I guess I am still a fan of the PCW spring it works fine with the stock master & is not hard on the hand like the DD gets to be in traffic. I guess I like some things simple. I had the Yamaha frictions with the full plate in back & PCW in my 99 forever & had it at the dragstrip every weekend & had at least 50,000 miles on that setup & it was still working fine when I sold the bike.

50,000miles !.Wow thats alot of miles.

I'm looking at subduing my Monkey by ordering a PCW HD Spring Kit. For $70 that's enough to tide me over and still save for a seat and seans kit. Anyhow, aside from the increased lever pull will I actually notice an improvement in performance? What does a good clutch feel like compared to stock?? I only have about 4500 Kms and I don't have problems shifting through gears. Bottom line, some people say that it's like riding a new bike. But why?? I'm guessing modding the clutch further say with a new MC, starts to add $$$..

KarmaKatt

The PCW Spring will remove some of the Slip that is built into the Stock Clutch setup.
If you replace the 1/2 Friction Plate with a Full Friction Plate that will remove even more of that Slip, but this will transfer the Stress to the Transmission and Drive Shaft.
Changing the MC just makes for a lighter/easier pull on the Clutch lever.

So shell feel like a tighter grab than? Is modding the clutch essential for a good launch?
Is it more fun to ride?? Especially for the light to light stylist?

It will definitely Hit harder on a hard launch, but depending on what Tire you use you could end up Spinning the Tire or pulling a wheelie if you're not careful.

As for more fun, if you like pulling wheelies or doing rolling Burnouts, then Yes it is more fun.

Modding the clutch isn't essential to a Good Launch on the Street but will definitely benefit you at the track.

I had a stock clutch for years and was happy with it and I do Launch pretty hard on a regular Basis.
I won a Barnett Clutch Kit at Thunder last year, so that's what I have now.
I left the 1/2 Friction Plate in though because I really didn't want to worry about eating up 2nd Gear or Breaking Shafts on a regular basis like the DD Guys tend to do.
Personally I'm very happy with it, the clutch seems smoother and grabs a better than the Stock setup.
If I didn't win that I would probably have left the Stock Spring in until it got too weak and then I would have used the heavier PCW Spring.

Thanks DMan..
I think I'll hold off until my stock starts to wear a bit than... Man it's hard to get to my real goals when I spend a little here and a little there..

I have a DD and love it. Now I can see why its a pain in stop and go traffic, on the stock MC your about doubling the amount it takes to pull the clutch in. BUT...When I let the clutch out, it starts to engage in the first 3rd of travel, and it feels more positive when it engages.

A few people have broken driveshafts and 2nd gear takes a beating with the DD... IF you do lots of burn outs, lots of wheelies...etc. Before you would just smoke a clutch, now that power goes somewhere else.

I love it, and glad that I did the DD mod, and recommend it to other people...they just need to know what they are getting into.

Thx Hawk..
It sure sounds like fun.. So very tempting especially for the cost factor. But.. I've got a MaxGasser and Seans Kit on my mind. I figure everytime I get tempted, I'll try and Remind myself of those..!! I keep pics on hand.. !!

I'd recommend replacing the stock 1/2 fiber with a full one and a PCW spring, unless your gonna spray or make a shitload of power that setup will treat you right... Plenty of guys roach 2'nd gear with a stock clutch too, that's why I went to an air shifter... Gotta watch driveshafts though no matter what, I think Yamaha makes em outta wood... LOL

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Gotta watch driveshafts though no matter what, I think Yamaha makes em outta wood... LOL

Even though I'm not a certified hooligan with the bike...I still bought a 2nd driveshaft....just in case...lol

Even though I'm not a certified hooligan with the bike...I still bought a 2nd driveshaft....just in case...lol

Good call!! LOL I've got two on the shelf out in the shop ;)

Good call!! LOL I've got two on the shelf out in the shop ;)

You guys must really Beat on your Bikes to need to keep extra Shafts laying around.
I've been riding mine for 11 years and never snapped a shaft and I ride pretty hard.
A few wheelies and Burnouts here and there and I launch hard pretty regularly doing 0-135/140 MPH runs on back country roads.
But I have seen 3 or 4 guys over the years with the DD Mod who snapped them while we were out riding.
One guy actually took an extra shaft with him ever time he rode. :rofl_200:
And I'd have to guess that if you took a survey of all the VMaxes with a bad second gear that most of them had the DD Mod at the time.

I actually race mine quite a bit at the strip so I do beat the hell out of it.. I went to an air shifter to help the trans survive on mine but the stock shaft being weak is actually good because I've seen a couple local guys blow out the back of their cases when they had a sportmax hd shaft so I'll keep breaking the stockers until I go chain drive.. I try to talk anyone who has one of these bikes into an air shifter because without it I'm positive my trans would be broke and I'd have a much bigger pile of broken driveshafts..

Well for me...on here there was a guy parting out a bike, so I picked up a 2nd driveshaft for 30 bucks....lol...cheap insurance.

I actually race mine quite a bit at the strip so I do beat the hell out of it.. I went to an air shifter to help the trans survive on mine but the stock shaft being weak is actually good because I've seen a couple local guys blow out the back of their cases when they had a sportmax hd shaft so I'll keep breaking the stockers until I go chain drive.. I try to talk anyone who has one of these bikes into an air shifter because without it I'm positive my trans would be broke and I'd have a much bigger pile of broken driveshafts..

I agree, those HD Shafts tend to do more harm than good.
I don't run mine at the track so it's doesn't get the Beating yours does.
But I feel the same way about the clutch,
I'd rather spend $60 on Friction Plates than a few thousand on my Transmission.
And I'm sure that Air Shifter has saved your transmission more than once.

I'd rather spend $500 on a new seat than $70 on a HD Spring/Plate..
This is my mantra...

I'd rather spend $500 on a new seat than $70 on a HD Spring/Plate..
This is my mantra...

Sean will hook you up with a comfortable bad ass looking seat for around $350ish... All in what you wanna do guys, different strokes for different folks but if I wanted a regular boring cruiser then there are plenty to choose from.. I like having a cruiser that can walk the walk and not just talk the talk...

Sean will hook you up with a comfortable bad ass looking seat for around $350ish... All in what you wanna do guys, different strokes for different folks but if I wanted a regular boring cruiser then there are plenty to choose from.. I like having a cruiser that can walk the walk and not just talk the talk...

If that's the case..

I'd rather spend $5000 on a 1500cc than $500 on a seat..
But..
Priorities!!

If I keep buying so-called small amounts of mods, I'll never get to what I really want :bang head:. I had a quite few things in mind and than reeled it all back in when I remembered my goal of a set of Jon's Pipes :eusa_dance:. And viola..
One really "large" cool thing over a few smaller cool things!! :punk:

Latest posts

Back