Where did THAT come from?!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I was pulling my battery to add water and charge today. In the process when I was romoving the bracket that holds the rear coils I notice a small black thing fly through the air and land on my gas tank. Upon inspection I find the black thing to be a piece of rubber edge molding. Kinda like the stuff that goes on the metal lip on the underside of the faux tank but this piece is only 1" long.

It kinda seems like it would go on the bracket that holds the coils, on the edge that faces the tank right in between the 2 bolts that hold it in place. Only problem is I'm not sure if that is where it came from or not. I've hgot half a mind to toss it but would rather figure out where it goes first. Anyone have an idea??

A picture would help?? Taking the battery out is a joy isn't it? .............lol

Yea, they sure cram a bunch of crap in there. I got called out on a emergency for work. I'm on the way to a jobsite right now in the car. Nowhere near the bike to get a pic. I've been looking at the fiche going down the road and I'm wondering if it may be the "seat damper" as shown in the fiche that show the coil bracket, side cover, faux tank, etc.

Hopefully I'll have some time this evening to get it figured out.

OK, heres a couple pics of the piece. It is the exact same type of moulding that goes on the lip on the bottom of the faux cover. It is just under 1" long. I have no idea where it came from. It could have fell off of something else and ended up on the coil bracket and fell off when I removed it.

All right, anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC04472.JPG
    DSC04472.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04473.JPG
    DSC04473.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
It looks like the piece that goes on the bracket that is above the positive battery post.

Ist it a bumper/covering from rear coils bracket?
It supouse to be on the front part of that bracket, exactly where that bracket
supouse to go in into the frame.

Yep, thats what it is... I have had to fish it outta down in the motor area several times. But, that is where it's from.

Sorry guys but it's NOT the piece that goes on the front of the coil bracket that "locates" the bracket into the frame. I have that piece, it came out when the bracket came out.

Is that what you were referring to Buster or are you talking about something else? I'm thinking that is what Przemek and OU812 were talking about.

This is the EXACT same material as the edge molding that goes on the bottom of the faux, only its 1" long. Check out #42 in the attachment. That is the molding on the faux I am referring to. Its pretty thick and heavy duty molding.

Attachments

• Side Cover (faux and scoops,etc).pdf
    160.5 KB · Views: 12
It is part # 1FK-2171M-00-00. Goes on the small edge on the right side of the rear coil bracket. Prevents the sharp metal edge from wearing thru wiring. See the "Side Cover" page of the parts manual.

It is part # 1FK-2171M-00-00. Goes on the small edge on the right side of the rear coil bracket. Prevents the sharp metal edge from wearing thru wiring. See the "Side Cover" page of the parts manual.

THANK YOU!

Have any idea why it shows a qty of (2) required on the parts breakdown? I only found 1. Wondering where the other one goes?

Sorry, I forgot one goes on the left side also. The coil bracket is not exactly the same shape on both sides but there is a small edge on each side that this part slips over. I have one that fell off when I was checking my coil wires and didn't notice it fell to the ground till I finished. Will have to move some stuff to get to the edge to replace it. Seems they are easy to dislodge when messing with the coil bracket.

mm-hmm... That's what I thought it looked like. Just for shats n grins I went out n looked, saw no other grommet-lookin' thinggymajigger anywhere around the "faux tank" or ... unless mine is missin' sumfin' there... got me... hmmmm...

Sorry, I forgot one goes on the left side also. The coil bracket is not exactly the same shape on both sides but there is a small edge on each side that this part slips over. I have one that fell off when I was checking my coil wires and didn't notice it fell to the ground till I finished. Will have to move some stuff to get to the edge to replace it. Seems they are easy to dislodge when messing with the coil bracket.

Great, thanks for the help!

Back