Why so many low mileage V-maxes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why there seem to be soooo many low mileage V-maxes for sale :ummm:

I mean it's not unusual to see 1980' series V-max advertised as low mileage 20,000 to 35,000 miles and I can't believe that this is the case.

I figure to be that low it has to have

a) Had the speedo drive disconnected for most of its life.
b) Been around the clock and started again.
c) Had the odometer wound back.

The odd bike that is rarely ridden might show up but not the amount I see for sale.

I did nearly 20,000kms in the last 12 months (which I always seem to average) so what's the story here?

Someone got scared... wanted a Harley... there's no telling
I bought my 86 the same way. Barely 20,000 miles on the odometer. I don't understand it because I put nine thousand on it last year alone.

Maybe it's just as simple as some people ride, and some people wash :confused2:

I just picked up a 2000 vmax with 2,200 miles on it. It's had an oil change every year, that's like every 300 miles. When I ride it I feel like I should go slow cause it's still breaking in.

I have a rule that I never buy new motorcycles or boats. Too many people buy them and never use 'em. It's not just the Vmax.

When I bought my max last year I wouldn't look at any that had over 5000 miles on them. There were still a lot to choose from and I was looking at '97s to '03s.

I'm just a weekend warrior myself now. I have no interest in real long rides (more than 4 hours) or getting caught in the rain. And I don't like Pina Colodas either.

It's hell getting old.

Can someone tell me why there seem to be soooo many low mileage V-maxes for sale :ummm:

I mean it's not unusual to see 1980' series V-max advertised as low mileage 20,000 to 35,000 miles and I can't believe that this is the case.

I figure to be that low it has to have

a) Had the speedo drive disconnected for most of its life.
b) Been around the clock and started again.
c) Had the odometer wound back.

The odd bike that is rarely ridden might show up but not the amount I see for sale.

I did nearly 20,000kms in the last 12 months (which I always seem to average) so what's the story here?

:rocket bike:My guess would have to be some people buy a bike to say they have 1 , and rarely ever ride ( I have friends like this) and then theres the ones (like me) that really lives to ride , an obsession no doubt . I live in Florida so riding is almost all year round so easy to rack the miles here compared to lets say upstate somewhere .Just a thought dunno really

My idea is that the Max wasn't really designed for touring and I sure didn't buy it for that. I have taken it on some 200 mile days and will probably do more this year (if my back heals) but when I go to Topeka and possibly to Ohio I plan on using my truck to haul it/them... My SV is a 2003 that I bought as a 0 mile leftover in 2004 and it has just over 7 on it. 3200 of that was the first year. With two bikes in my arsenal you don't put too many miles on any one specific bike.:thumbs up: It's a hard life but hey... lol J/K

From the end of July or early August 'till November when I put the bike up I put on a legitiment 3000+ miles. I plan on tripleing that this year.

From the end of July or early August 'till November when I put the bike up I put on a legitiment 3000+ miles. I plan on tripleing that this year.

I hear that QH, I rode 3200 miles last year but will do much more this year. I thinking in the 10 - 12k range. I bought my '92 in mid June with 4300 miles on the clock.

Mine turned 66,000 this morning during my commute. Mine still breaks the tire loose in 2nd gear. :rocket bike:

Mark

I think for motorcycles in general there are more garage ornaments out there than there are ones that get used a lot. Like boats and jetskis, people buy them, ride them a little bit for a year or so and then they lose interest and just sit. It's the same resason I won't buy new either, too many good deals on used stuff out there.

Unless the new Vmax comes out, then I may consider buying new.

My '99 had 9300 on it when I bought it in '05

It has just shy of 32,000 on it now.

Rusty

Mine is an '85 and it has 24,000 and change. That basically means it was ridden an average of 1,000 miles a year. That seems reasonable for a weekend toy. I probably won't put 1,000 miles on it in a year. I usually ride, maybe, 70 miles a weekend.

My '84 RZ350 has 17,000 miles on it.

I am certain that both are correct and original miles.

Mike

ill put 7000 miles a year just taking a 45 mile ride every night for coffee..probably good for 9000 a year .. you be surprised the bikes that get bough and hardley riden through the years..family sickness problems ect

I used to ride my Triumph to work everyday, and I still only put 13000 miles on it in 4 years. Everything depends on what you use the bike for. Mine never made any trips, I think the furthest I ever rode in one day was like 150 miles. My Max will probably get even less riding as I now have my own truck and don't share a car with my wife. But the Max was bought just for fun.

My 99 had only about 6,000 miles on it when I bought it from a friend. She got it from a cop living in Pfluggerville, Tx (say that 3 times fast!), but bought it at her Boyfriend's instigation before learning her legs were to short to flatfoot it (BF wanted it for HIMSELF!). She ended up dumping the BF and got a Harley, so the Vmax sat unused for years in a garage until she sold it to me. Since I got her, I have put 7,000 more miles on the bike.

Given a chance, she will roll 100,000.

And you guys are right. The Max was never meant for touring, but with Highway pegs, a short Yamaha windscreen and a Corbin seat, she almost makes do, and always draws attention from the Harley riders.

:punk:

Ya me too. '93 -18.5Kms

The guy had two jobs and a hobby farm. He also mentioned his wife was scared shitless on the back. He was pissed caused he scared her so bad and after that she kept any free time he had doing anything to keep him off the bike. He didn't want to sell, he had it for a long time, hoping she'd come around but now he said it just wasn't worth it for the amout of time he did get.....such a sad story :tantrum:

I did give him a good buck for it but I feel I got the better part of the deal. You know, I think he did too. Should have seen his face when I was loading on my truck. I thought he was going to cry.:ummm:

Well, lets see.

The 1/4 mile takes approx 1 mile off the speedo each pass. 1/4 mile down, 1/4 mile for shut down, 1/2 mile back - so yep - 1 mile each time.

I don't go riding for the simple effort of running gas through my bike. There are nothing but straight flat roads here and windy most of the time. So not like being able to go out and do much more then drag race it. Besides, I trailer it everywhere so I can bring my gear easily as well as spare parts (i ride it kind of hard).

I maybe put on 120 miles a month on during the riding season. I don't ride it to work that often. I did ride it more last year since friends wanted to ride thier bikes to other events.

I just have no enjoyment unless I am pushing the bike to it's limits. I would rather take a car that has AC and no wind. That way I am fresh and ready to kick some butt when I get there. I'll climb into my leathers and stay there all day in 110+ degree weather because the excitement of the next pass is right there. To do the same thing and sit a trafic light sucks. To just get on a road that is flat and nothing to see for 100 miles at 70mph sucks too.

So there are more then one reason some don't ride thier bikes much.

Sean

Well, lets see.

The 1/4 mile takes approx 1 mile off the speedo each pass. 1/4 mile down, 1/4 mile for shut down, 1/2 mile back - so yep - 1 mile each time.

I don't go riding for the simple effort of running gas through my bike. There are nothing but straight flat roads here and windy most of the time. So not like being able to go out and do much more then drag race it. Besides, I trailer it everywhere so I can bring my gear easily as well as spare parts (i ride it kind of hard).

I maybe put on 120 miles a month on during the riding season. I don't ride it to work that often. I did ride it more last year since friends wanted to ride thier bikes to other events.

I just have no enjoyment unless I am pushing the bike to it's limits. I would rather take a car that has AC and no wind. That way I am fresh and ready to kick some butt when I get there. I'll climb into my leathers and stay there all day in 110+ degree weather because the excitement of the next pass is right there. To do the same thing and sit a trafic light sucks. To just get on a road that is flat and nothing to see for 100 miles at 70mph sucks too.

So there are more then one reason some don't ride thier bikes much.

Sean
you need to do some riding in new england no flat square light to light runs here matter of 10 min your on the highway heading for the mountians

In Central Texas, once we clear Austin to the west a bit, we can ride an hour without seeing a stopsign or red light..... so there are plenty of 1/4 miles to be had. Problem is that the sprotbikes stay in the city because they are sooooo uncomfortable to ride long distance, so our only dustups come from Harleys and such, which last only long enough for me to drop down a gear and go WOT. From then on I find myself all alone again with them receeding in the mirror.....

:surprise:

lots of people use the max as tourers and a high milage bike..i had dressers and never use it as tourer.. rode it like a hotrod and set it up that way ....at 635 pounds the max can cruse with the best of then its the gas tank thats the set back

Latest posts

Back