Wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredder

Reaction score
Alright. Ive owned my vmax since feburary. Ive had a wobble above 100mph since ive bought it. Ive adjusted the steering head bearing and also checked out my swing arm. Both are adjusted like they are supossed to be.

Today while riding with the beekeeper amd scuff we were going down the highway. There was a slight curve on the highway that we went through at about 115. The bike started wobbling pretty bad. It actually made my butthole pucker.

Later on we hit some nice twistie roads. We werent hitting it too hard but were moving at a good pace. The bike was slightly wobbling through the twisties. Nothing i couldnt handle but still dont really like it.

We were on our way back going down the highway and cranked it up to about 115 or 120 and it started to do it again. This time in a straight line and worse thatn the previous times during the day. Slowed down and couldnt get it to stop. Thought i might actually crash. But corrected it.

I love everything about this bike except for that. I need some input on where i go from here to correct this.

Thanks

Mine did the same thing.I got some Progressive fork springs and it took care of the high speed wobble.I have had it over 100 several times since with no issues,up to 135 a time or two.

You know i actually wondered if going ro progressive fork springs would help.

What tires are you running?

What difference would that make? Tires can't cause wobble. Just ask Miles. :whistlin:
Must be in need of a stiffer fork brace, or somethin'...:ummm::biglaugh:

Work my way up to what? Maybe frame braces or solid motor mounts?

Cost wise.....motor mounts, then frame braces. The motor mounts are rubber, and so will allow the engine to move around in the frame. The solid (either delrin or aluminum) stiffen that up. You might get more of a buzzing in the handle bars at highway speeds.

Frame braces will help triangulate the frame....but are more expensive as well. At Eureka Springs Ive seen people ride a Vmax AMAZINGLY well, with progressive springs and solid mounts.

A stock Vmax with good rubber should not wobble. Coming from someone with frame braces, solid mounts, rebuilt forks,emulators, radials this sounds strange. All those things work &make it even better for sure. I'd solve the issue before doing any upgrades. I've been through this myself and with many friends. Myself, I had notches worn in my bearing races. You can adjust properly but when you hit the notch space you'll wobble like crazy. Riding with those Hooligans, you need stability at speed. Seriously, there is good tech knowledge in that Michigan circle to help you out. I'd inspect your tires for run-out, Do a physical inspection of the head bearings and races. Wheel bearings can also be checked easily. Head bearings are a high percentage of wobbles.
Steve-o

Alright well maybe ill replace my steering bearings and races. Ive saw a few guy on here say theyve had to do that. The bike has 24xxx so maybe its just time. Still planning on going with progressive fork springs too so maybr those 2 things will help me.

I've been through everything except frame braces and changing the head bearings. I'd rather have a wobble than install those ugly frame braces... in MY opinion. I want to show off that engine, not hide it. :biglaugh:

The head bearings is all I have left.
Here's what I've done so far and the wobble STILL exists in my bike.

The wobble shows it's ugly head when:

- Accelerating hard, and over 60 MPH
- Riding fast on uneven or bad roads
- After hitting a bump in the road (almost like the front and rear wheels are not tracking).

Maintenance to date:

- Accomplished "bounce test" properly tightening the head bearings. FYI... there is a very fine line between developing a low-speed weave (too tight) and high-speed wobble (too loose)
- Replaced rear tire
- Checked front and rear wheel bearings
- Replaced original fork springs with Progressive springs. New oil, and zero air pressure in forks
- Replaced fork brace with HUGE thick steel brace.

My next step is to replace / inspect the head bearings. I'm running out of options. :ummm:

Here's 15 pages (to date) about this topic.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29380

Cupping on the front tire can also cause a wobble. After I adjusted the steering head bearing and made sure the forks had the same amount of air ,which is none with progressive springs. I still had a wobble right at 45 mph. The front tire still had plenty of tread left but was old so on the advice of a great mechanic I changed the front tire and ......like magic the wobble disappeared.

I did notice when i have my girlfriend on the back i dont get a wobble. Bike seems to just plant and go.

Back