WTF Have I done wrong?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevman

Reaction score
A while ago I did the COP conversion on my 86 Vmax,started it and it idled ok and then died,blew a fuse and I replaced it.Checked all my wiring reread the cop installs and went and started it .Idled ok and started to die so I revved it and it died .one blown fuse and the dreaded smell of burning electronics.Pulled the black box out and yes it was burnt to a crispy black .Install 2nd hand black box and refit OE coils,,Starts ,runs ,idles good as new.Stage 2 : get some more cop's redo wiring rerereread the cop installs .Start the bike ,make sure it runs ok.Fit cop's and new harnesses.Check the coil positive is on the right and the neg is on the left,made sure the front 2 coils were going to the correct harness connectors. Start the bike it ran ,idled and I checked the exhausts were getting hot .Went for a ride and 2 k's down the road ,coughed and spluttered and died.:bang head: The smell of burning electronics was in the air :bang head::bang head:pushed the bike home and would not have made it up the 2nd hill if a female jogger hadn't given me a hand to get it home.WTF Have I done wrong?:ummm::bang head:please help I am running out of black boxes:rofl_200: and hair.Thanks Kevman.

Old TCI's are very feagile and easy to burn. I've fixed some of them with a good result. Do know what you may done wrong if you've checked this copule of times :ummm:
I old type wireing blown fuse = burned TCI.

hmmm i wonder if certain COPs have problems with our bikes. Mine aren't have electrical issues but some idle/low rpm issues have started to occur. not sure if its related.

there is a large post here(the forum) on cop's on the bikes and sees guys have large list of which cop's should work best. i'll go find it again and add the link, real helpful and seems guys are having big success with the mod. haven't done mine ye, maybe in the winter.

there is a large post here(the forum) on cop's on the bikes and sees guys have large list of which cop's should work best. i'll go find it again and add the link, real helpful and seems guys are having big success with the mod. haven't done mine ye, maybe in the winter.

Here ya go Tugla:

So far, i've run across two types of Denso COPs. The type that the Hayabusa/GSXR's use work very well. There is another type that is a little longer and they neck down just before the rubber boot that sits over the plug(The Honda F4 and F4i use these). These work well, but their length makes it harder to get on the plug. They both use the same electrical connector on the top. They are not a ton trouble, but personally i like the looks/ease of install/removal of the shorter type.
Here are the bikes that use the SHORT COPs(that i've found so-far):
98-2000 GSXR600 SRAD
01-03 GSXR600
98-99 GSXR750 SRAD
00-05 GSXR750
01-08 GSXR1000
99-08 Hayabusa(GSX1300R)
02-08 R1
99-02 R6
04-07 R6
03-08 CBR600rr
03-06 ZX6/ZX636(maybe the 07-up as well, just have not verified that yet)
98-03 ZX9
00-05 ZX12
06-08 ZX14

I found one set of R6 coil sticks that said they were 03 and they were the long type. Not sure if that was a typo or what. So, on the R6 coil sticks, i'm not 100%. Might be good to shy away from the R6 cops anyway due to the previously posted problems with some of them, at least on the 03-04 R6's.
These use the longer type COPs:
CBR929(all years)
CBR954(all years)
CBR f4/f4i
CBR1000rr(04-08)
98-02 ZX6
Looks like the wiring harnesses from ANY of these bikes will work on any of the coil sticks(long or short).

I have been running my COPS for over 30k km with no issues at all. If my memory serves me correct they are from an R1 and came complete with the wiring harness. I have heard that folks have burned up DJ ignitions with them but my stock one seems to be holding up well.

Kevman, I am wondering if it might be the old style ignition.

I've been using the longer type COPs on my '86 for a pretty long time now without any issues.

Only thing is the Tboost refusing to work at 3k, but it may just be faulty and not even related..

i dont think so NG. mine is the same remember. if i put an oem coil on the plug that was getting the tboost signal, tboost woudl work as stock. weird.

tboost does nothing with all COPS and tboost. putting the one coil back to stock and running the rest with COPs makes it work like stock.

on my bike at least.

vboost works as designed.

The main thing I see wrong with this scenerio is you've posted no pics of the female jogger that helped you up the hill, nor have you indicated whether or not you got her name and/or phone number. :confused2::confused2:

I have no knowledge to offer on your cop mod problems. :ummm:

The main thing I see wrong with this scenerio is you've posted no pics of the female jogger that helped you up the hill, nor have you indicated whether or not you got her name and/or phone number. :confused2::confused2:

I have no knowledge to offer on your cop mod problems. :ummm:

I would have at least offered to pay her back, an inch each time......

Ok Gentlemen thanks for all the replies.As for pictures of the hottie who helped me [blonde,tall,slender and an athlete....blue eyes and tanned supple thighs]well you aren't getting any because when you reach the stage of push the bike up the hill for 1 metre rest push for 1 metre rest get the picture you are just about f#%&*)!Has anyone a clue to my problem?Should I buy a later model black box and try it?I removed the cover of the box and and 4 spots have been burnt.I might unsolder it out of the box and see what has been damaged on the other side.I think they are transistors which supply the earth switching for the coils.For the moment I'm going back to standard and use the last of my black boxes to get me going.Lucky I have just started 2 weeks of holidays and have a car to cruise around in.Thanks again people .Cheers Kevman.

You can't use later TCI boxes on early bikes. It's 85-89 (analog), then 90-07 (digital).

It would be good if you could post pictures of your burnt TCI boxes so we can see what went.

Have you measured the resistance of your COPs? Maybe yours are especially low?

There is a 10A fuse in the ignition circuitry (fuse box under faux-tank), have you checked it's still a 10A and not a higher rating or a jumper? The fuse should blow before anything in the TCI, so there must be something very wrong in your setup, maybe a short in your harness?

I have put it back to standard and everything worked as it should until I went for a test ride.I rode to the petrol station and filled up and on the way home The bike lost power for a second and recovered and 1 kilometre down the road died ,no fuel pump and no start.So this time I rang a friend with a ute who came and picked up the bike and I and now the bike is getting gone over with a zeal born of desperation.Oh and yes there was a 15 amp fuse in the ignition spot.:bang head: I think the kill switch may have gone open circuit.:ummm:So I will investigate further and hopefully get to the bottom of this .Thanks guys Kevman

To me it sounds like you have a wiring harness problem - prolly a short somewhere. Always check first the places where wiring moves, for example around the steering column.

15A fuse - ouch - obviously some PO had a problem and thought they could get away with it by doing the most wrong thing ever - upping a fuse rating.. duh!

Hope you find it and fix it soon..

Latest posts

Back