What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda liked the MaxMidnight Yamaha rear brake stay, but I guess the heim joints looks more 'racing/hot rod' to some. I also like the swingarm inserts. You have a lot of small stuff like that that when you compare it to a stocker, the experienced eye will perceive the changes. There is a guy here in Ft. Lauderdale who does similar stuff to his bikes, his name is Dave Boyer, he was a Yamaha factory mechanic; now he maintains a fleet of $$$$ cars & bikes for a rich attorney. Amazingly, he does it with a drill press and files-by hand! I know I have some pics of his stuff on film from many years ago, but I don't think I have anything digitally-saved. That might mean a trip to his workshop warehouse place of operations to get some new pics. Seeing your stuff, you will dig his work, M.M.! He was also an 'old' (read, 'original' Meriden) Triumph mechanic.

hubby synched my carbs and omg Maxine runs like a raped ape. #onehappygirl

Why is it that I can glance over "runs like a raped ape" in any other post when when posted by any other of the gents, but I have take pause and spend the next five minutes to tap this post in, one letter at a time, into my phone when mrs max says it? Lol :) hHaha. Madam ur my hero

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

They look good, but not as good as that tyre! I love seeing that. :biglaugh:
New tires are on the list, but I just ordered new seat from Rick so there went my tire budget. Waiting on the sate refund to come in so I can get some new tires - Come on IL give me my money back already :bang head: In the meantime, few more goodies came in.
Oil pressure gauge with adapter
T-boost
New handlebar switch.
IXIL muffler
147.5 main jets

I still need to buy the tach and install all the parts then powder coat a bunch of parts black, and that should be it (at least for a while) :rofl_200:

Roughed out the last of the fork clamps for the "Bullitt" fairing that I will hopefully pick up today ( Through 5" of last nights snow)
Lew

Oh, my godge, those are so-cool! They look heavy-duty! Whose are they? They look expensive! :biglaugh:

Looks like you have to fab a new midpipe to get clearance for the new shocks. How do they feel from sitting in the seat & bouncing on them?

The tire looks like a track-day slick. Did you embarass any literbikes?
Fire-medic those are the shocks you sent me the info on from the FL guy. I ened up getting them for $100! BIG THANKS TO YOU!!!!!. Those are SHOWA (not sure if I spelled it correctly) but I can't tell what model they are. They are about 1/2 taller than stock and I had to use OEM bushings top and bottom other then that they fit right in and feel a bit stiffer than originals.

Oh my god lol I just looked at your third photo, how far do you lean on that damn bike? Lol

radials are a blast! i have about 1/4" chicken strips on mine usually when they're about done. made fun of my friend on his fz1 who had about 1/2". came into work the next day and whatd ya know they were down to 1/4", guess he was embarrassed enough to fix it heh.

Oh my god lol I just looked at your third photo, how far do you lean on that damn bike? Lol
That angle of the picture makes it look a lot worse, actually the riding position is very, very close to stock, the tail got raised by about 1/2" but when my fat ass sits on the seat it's about perfect height then :biglaugh:. I have a 1" riser on it which helps. You lean a little, which is what I wanted, but not to a point where you feel it in your wrists. I must say, for having parts from 3 different motorcycles in one, it actually turned out pretty damn well, especially since I'm figuring a lot of this stuff as I go!!!

radials are a blast! i have about 1/4" chicken strips on mine usually when they're about done. made fun of my friend on his fz1 who had about 1/2". came into work the next day and whatd ya know they were down to 1/4", guess he was embarrassed enough to fix it heh.
+1 on the radials. If you're thinking about a single mod for your bike that would be my choice. After I did mine its like riding a totally different bike. My buddy at work has a ducati, we race the "clover" (this is what we call it),on ramp, off ramp, on ramp, off ramp at lunch sometimes. I haven't won yet (he is a better rider then me and has a sports bike) but I come danm near close and it sure as hell is fun trying to beat him.

Neat thing is from Rohwling Rd is about 1/4 mile to the onramp, I always take him off the line but he takes me over in the turns.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 19
i completely agree. after a seat i'd recommend it over jet kit/exhaust etc.

Yeah, I recognized them immediately, they look good & if you are a heavier guy, as I am, I don't think the extra 1/2" is going to matter. People who know much-more than I say longer shocks will steepen the head steering angle & make for quicker steering, which will just help the VMax's agility to my way of thinking. I don't think I would drop the front end w/those, which would quicken the steering even more if you did drop it. They look good! Try finding a part # & google it, didn't the guy say they were for a H-D Sportster?

Fire-medic those are the shocks you sent me the info on from the FL guy. I ened up getting them for $100! BIG THANKS TO YOU!!!!!. Those are SHOWA (not sure if I spelled it correctly) but I can't tell what model they are. They are about 1/2 taller than stock and I had to use OEM bushings top and bottom other then that they fit right in and feel a bit stiffer than originals.

picked Max up from the shop (fork seals)... had a nice ride home, some guy in an eclipse tried to"race"me at a red light B) SMOKED HIM of course lol. all in all, a good day

picked Max up from the shop (fork seals)... had a nice ride home, some guy in an eclipse tried to"race"me at a red light B) SMOKED HIM of course lol. all in all, a good day

Did he know he got beat by a "girl":punk:. I love stories like this.

Picked up the Bullitt fairing----- Looks good in person and better on the bike. Fit is very close---- I had to move the turn signals out about 1/2" total, just a bit of filing to get the bolts to line up.
Pix to follow.
Lew

Last edited:
Got my '85 side covers from texas-ss-tornado.
USPS only charged $18 shipping! Hooley dooley. I have photo evidence - see?

Then I played with Veronica a bit. She's getting there.
It's a long weekend here, and Veronica's excited!

Attachments

• 20120301_001.jpg
    20120301_001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20120301_006.jpg
    20120301_006.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 33
Got my '85 side covers from texas-ss-tornado.
USPS only charged $18 shipping! Hooley dooley. I have photo evidence - see?

Then I played with Veronica a bit. She's getting there.
It's a long weekend here, and Veronica's excited!

Bike is looking good Baz, what rear sets do you have?
and how do you like them?

Bullitt fairing now mounted !!!:eusa_dance: I think it looks great. I'll get pix up this weekend. !!!! :eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Lew

Last edited:
Back