Fan Override Cooling Switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
I need some advice about the purpose of an on & off override fan switch. I assume the stock operation automatically kicks on the fan when the motor reaches a curtain temperature to keep the engine in the appropriate cooling range.

My question is how does adding this switch actually help in the cooling process other than manually turning the fan operation on earlier before the engine gains enough heat to automatically engage itself?

I know they sell a complete kit including a lighter fan blade for this mod; however, I was told you can just buy an on and off toggle switch and wire it to the existing fuse and you basically get the same results.

Any feedback is appreciated on this application including the installation process as well. :ummm:

Many people (including me) believe the stock switch closes too late allowing the bike to get too hot. So we take a single poll switch and connect the wires to the temp switch and when we click it "on" it basically acts like the temp switch has closed.

Think of it as contact closure. No fuse is needed... You'll find the temp switch under the right scoop.

It's UBER easy to do yourself.

Chris

A switch works great at stoplights here in Florida. The temperature switch kicks the fan on pretty late to do much good. I put a light in circuit to remind me that the fan's on so I don't get on the highway with the fan running. The fan will over run it's intended speed if left on while on the highway. Not so good.. The light's mounted on top of the gauge pack.

Vmax outlaw sells a nice unit also, it just kicks the fan on at a lower temp then the stock one. Easy install and no switch to mess with.

i have both the switch and the lower temp sensor. only down side with the temp sensor is you'll loose about 10miles on a full tank of gas but i guess that is worth it since i never have to look down and flip a switch when i forget....

I need some advice about the purpose of an on & off override fan switch. I assume the stock operation automatically kicks on the fan when the motor reaches a curtain temperature to keep the engine in the appropriate cooling range.
Correct

My question is how does adding this switch actually help in the cooling process other than manually turning the fan operation on earlier before the engine gains enough heat to automatically engage itself?
All the switch does is enable you to manually turn the fan on. Some guys think the bike temp gets too hot before the thermoswitch tell the fan to come on.

I know they sell a complete kit including a lighter fan blade for this mod; however, I was told you can just buy an on and off toggle switch and wire it to the existing fuse and you basically get the same results.
No need to buy a "kit" IMO. It's reported the lighter fan blade moves LESS air than the OEM one. Just get yourself a toggle switch. Water resistant is a plus.

Any feedback is appreciated on this application including the installation process as well. :ummm:
Install is pretty simple.

See above.

Check out this post for all kinds of info on alternate thermoswitches, thermostats, fan mods, etc.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7143&highlight=switch&page=2

Check out post #19 from Sean on how to wire the switch in. Not sure how familiar you are with electrics but they make a "piggyback" terminal that would be great for this applicaton. Remove OEM wires from switch, install new wires with "piggyback" terminals. Put OEM wires on "piggyback" part of terminals.

thumbnail.aspx

Thanks for the link to the other posting, I did a search earlier but this post did not show up. This is helpful in understanding the application better. Like mention earlier, just need to remember to switch it back off so you do not damage the fan motor at higher speeds. :moped:

Vmax outlaw sells a nice unit also, it just kicks the fan on at a lower temp then the stock one. Easy install and no switch to mess with.

I know the below item cost more; however, this would eliminate having to install the toggle switch and turning it on and hopefully remembering to turn it back off so no damage to the fan will occur at higher speeds. Just appears to be a safer solution that would provide the same results unless there is some down side effect that is not mentioned.

Info on web-site:

Finally a solution to the V-max cooling system issues, tested and provern in the Arizona desert heat. The Outlaw fan switch replaces your stock switch and effectively lowers the radiator fan temperature operating range by 20 degrees allowing your radiator fan to come on much sooner. This keeps your normal operating temperature near the middle of the stock temperature gauge*, instead of at or near the red area when temperatures soar. Each unit temperature tested to ensure correct temperature operating range for the Vmax (we found this necessary due to tolerance and temperature range differences seen in different manufacturers switches).

?Easy 20-30 minute installation
?Everything for installation included, nothing else to buy
?Complete directions with photos make installation a snap!
?90 day full warranty

Click Here!

Then scroll down to performance & maintenance to view the optional switch

i have both the switch and the lower temp sensor. only down side with the temp sensor is you'll loose about 10miles on a full tank of gas but i guess that is worth it since i never have to look down and flip a switch when i forget....

I found that my lower temp switch had the same result - I lost about 10 miles per tank on fuel consumption.

As a result, I also wired a bypass switch (via a relay), but mine's actually to turn the fan OFF!

This way, when I'm doing a highway run I can turn the fan off and regain the good mpg. Just have to remember to turn it back on when I hit traffic.. :clapping:

This is good info! I was riding mine today and noticed how hot the bike can get- i live in the tropics- it is only spring and it is 23c (73F) at night and 32 (90F) during the day. My Max get's quite hot in ANY red light traffic (then cools down very fast once riding steady again) and was wondering what options there were to cool her down earlier than the stock thermo fan

Please help me understand why you loose about 10 miles on a tank of gas with this mod...:confused2:

I sat in a 2hr traffic jam leaving Laconia during bike week and never went past normal operating temps by leaving the fan on.
vmax020Large.jpg

vmax019Large.jpg

This is good info! I was riding mine today and noticed how hot the bike can get- i live in the tropics- it is only spring and it is 23c (73F) at night and 32 (90F) during the day. My Max get's quite hot in ANY red light traffic (then cools down very fast once riding steady again) and was wondering what options there were to cool her down earlier than the stock thermo fan

I think both do the same thing, it all depends on your riding environment and how clean your coolant system is. If you routinely ride in hot heavy traffic then the auto sensor would be ideal, if you "sometimes" get held up in hot traffic then the manual switch would be ideal. On my 1985 Vmax I had the lower temp sensor because my riding environment consisted of allot of city riding and it worked great. I guess I didn't notice the 10 miles difference on a tank of gas, on my 2005 Vmax I ride in the same environment as I did on the 85 and I have the stock sensor and it never goes out of the ideal range on the temp gauge? IMO I think a clean cooling system and a good tuned motor makes a huge difference regardless of the option you chose.

Hey 2fear. Yep, not sure when the coolant was last changed so i planned to change this and flush the system next weekend (only picked up the bike 3 weeks ago - was an import). I think running the vmaxoutlaw lower temp thermo setup is more ideal that constandly remembering to switch the fan on and off so will go with this option. Anyone use that 'water wetter'? Any good?

Please help me understand why you loose about 10 miles on a tank of gas with this mod...:confused2:

the amt of electricity that is being used to operate the fans isn't being used to charge the battery. similar to how running your ac in your car all the time doesn't give you the same fuel economy. i didn't think a fan would do but i read other users and noticed the same on my bike. before i could get about 95 miles before the fill light comes on. now 80-85 tops i'm having to flip the switch.

Here is an entertaining thought.

The vmax was designed to run at the temps that it runs at. Engineers spent a lot of time at money developing the bike and many things factored into the equation. Running the bike 10-20 degrees cooler may be changing the way the fuel mixture is being burnt. Reducing cylinder temperatures leads to incomplete combustion, lower volumetric efficiency, which in turn leads to lower power output and less MPG!

OK, I know I'm full of crap but its something to talk about.

Here is an entertaining thought.

The vmax was designed to run at the temps that it runs at. Engineers spent a lot of time at money developing the bike and many things factored into the equation. Running the bike 10-20 degrees cooler may be changing the way the fuel mixture is being burnt. Reducing cylinder temperatures leads to incomplete combustion, lower volumetric efficiency, which in turn leads to lower power output and less MPG!

OK, I know I'm full of crap but its something to talk about.

Actually, I tend to agree. I have the manual switch but only use it in stop and go traffic on really hot days. It gets over 100 degrees a lot here. Since I try to avoid driving in S&G traffic regardless of the temp, it doesn't get used much.

Back