1300 Turbo Vmax..... must use wheelie bars!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
O.k. so it was my first night running my new turbo bike at the 1/4 mile. Weather was rainy all day then it cleared up and the sun was shining... it was like a sign from God! We loaded up the bike and headed to Cordova (the closest 1/4 mile track) It was not very busy, we got the bike unloaded, and decided to make a quick pass to see how everything worked. My first pass was a 10.319 at 136mph.... Pretty F-ing happy with that on a street tire with 11.5 psi in it. We decide not to put the wheelie bars on it and lower the rear tire pressure to 9 psi and see what happens. My first pass I broke the tire loose and my 60' was a 0.175......... not good!
Anyway, I hammered on the throttle like no one's business and let that clutch out like I was a pro and that mother-f-er came up on me so quick I got out of it, slammed down, the recoil hit, and I hammered on the throttle without even trying and the damn thing lifted again..... long story short. I need to use the wheelie bars even with a Shinko 190, and I also need to order a new oil pan from Mr. Sean Morley!!!!! Yes, I cracked it as it slammed down on the track. I don't think much oil (if any) got on the track, but it was seeping/weeping out when I got back to the pits, and I could see the hairline crack... live and learn I guess! Anyway, I was VERY happy with the 10.32 for my first 1/4 mile pass on the bike. I'll be getting an air shifter soon and will be sure to put my wheelie bars on next time! I'll be posting the vid soon.. Unfortunately, I was running against a Kawi that was running 8.5's so my run wasn't that impressive. Even worse, the vid of the wheelie pass got deleted somehow, but there were a few people in the crowd that were talking about it, so it must have been a little impressive.

I'm off to bed, take care and keep em on 2 wheels!

Jeff

Welcome to the club! Sounds like you've been properly initiated. It's all fun from here on out. Once you get that bar on... your going to learn to shift like a madman. Low 9 easy. Nice mile an hour on that pass.

What was your 60', 1/8 et/mph on the very first pass(one with 11.5psi tire pressure)?

I'd leave off the sissysticks and learn to control the clutch. Easy? Not hardly. Frustrating? You bet. No better feeling than to be able to control all that terror w/o using crutches though! More impressive to see a mid-high 9 second no-bar bike than to see a low-mid 9 second bar'd bike, to me that is.

I'll bet ya liked running a full 1/4mi, huh? Turbo's eat up the back half for sure! Good job! Keep progressing.

Happen to know your race weight? Bike/rider(suited)?

Thanks Mark, I'm not sure of the weight, I have lightened it up quite a bit, and I'm weighing in at 215, with gear probably closer to 225. Here was my 1st pass numbers:

R/T - 0.173
60' - 1.756 (spun the tire pretty bad and didn't launch all that hard)
330 - 4.505
1/8 - 6.762
MPH - 104.23
1000 - 8.679
1/4 - 10.319
MPH - 136..34

I do have LOTS to work on, and this should be a decent bike to ride. I'm guessing I have around $4k in it so if something does go boom, I don't have a ton of money in it. I'll be going to the 1/8 mile track since it is a little closer and I can usually get more passes in, so I can work on my clutch control a little more.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend!

Oh, and here is my first run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je6Tjs1vOSA

Cool vid. Too bad the other bikes drowned out the sound of the V-max. If its possible, it would be benificial to get the bikes actual weight. You must have a lightweight suit. My suit/helmet/gloves and Sidi drag boots all weigh in at 13lbs. Jacket does have armor and a hump in the back though.
Whatcha thinking, maybe 500-525lbs for the bike? Maybe less?
How much boost you running? Are you pulling any timming? Fuel type?

I was running on premium (93 octane), I was around 9-10 lbs of boost ( I have the waste gate opened as far as it will go) I think the turbo can produce somewhere around 22 lbs, but my motor will go boom in a hurry with that kind of boost. It is a far cry from my buddies pulling tractor putting out 80-some lbs of boost!!!!!!
I'm not sure what the bike weighs... I'll try to get some numbers soon.

Hmmm...seems like a lot of boost on a stk compression motor(IIRC, your not running low comp pistons or a thicker head gasket) with pump gas. Are you pulling timing with the Dyna?
Given a 725lb race weight, you are putting down around 150 to the rear wheel. At 9-10lbs of boost, you should be putting down a good deal more. Of course, you may have spun ALOT(spinning normally produces MORE mph at the end of the 1/4, unless spinning is very excessive). Or you could be driving through your clutch. Altitude will affect the rwhp/trapspeed, though i don't think you are losing 6-8mph due to the D/A. If your bike weighs less than estimated, then you are making even less hp. If it weighs more, then you are making more.
IMO, you should be pulling over 140mph(ideally at least 145-148ish). That would be w/ around 175ish rwhp

Not trying to discourage ya. Just wanna help ya get the most of your combination. Understanding where your at is the starting point.

That is good stuff Mark, I need all the help I can get!:punk:
I have the Dyna at the #7 position which is the second most retarded setting (I think), and I do have extra think head gaskets. From my very rough calcs, I should be around 9.5:1, I believe the gaskets are 3 times the thickness of stock. I actually had to make spacers/shims for the intake to fit right (since the heads were rasied so much)

I do think I am around 160-170 RWHP and I'm really interested to find out what the bike and I weigh, I forgot to get it done while I was at the track, but will try to do it next time.

You aren't going to discourage me at all, I am just doing this for fun and will probably not ever do this competitively, it is more of seeing what I can do. And with a kid on the way, I may not have the time anyway (but I hope not).

I'm heading on vacation for a week, so I'll probably not be on here for a while.

Later,

Jeff

Your like me, a Test-n-Tuner! All i started doing was trying to see what i could do with a stk bike. Once i stopped making progress(in any way), i'd do some mods and then try with that, and so on. Once i got comfortable on my bike and i was getting the max out of that combination, i could hop on other bikes i'd not been on before and usually do very well in the first 5 passes. I did run in the PMRA back in 06. Started out just showing up for fun(i'd worked on a fellas bike and i told him it should run a certain #. He wanted me to take it and see what i could do), and i won the 1st event in Street ET! Well, then i was the points leader and just HAD to hit the next event, or so my friends told me! Was'nt so much fun when i felt like i HAD to go. The races were 6hrs away, and it was expensive to go. Take the family and the expenses went way up. Did'nt much like "competing" anyway. Got to where i was upset when i made a mistake and lost. Decided that it took the fun out of it all, so i stopped. Went back to T-N-T's and the fun was back. Fun as well to help others maximize their combination, whether it be a totally stk bike or fully modded bike. If they did'nt think what i was saying would help, i'd hop on some and show them.
Keep it fun and don't get too serious about it.
You should be good to go at that compression. With lowered compression, i prolly would'nt pull that much timing. But thats me. You would be VERY suprised how much hp/tq a little timing will add with forced induction. If it were me, i'd throw in some C-12 and go with stk timing and see what it did.
If you are at 160-170rwhp, your losing 10-20 somewhere. Traction/clutch slippage/too much timing pulled/or ??? Unless your closer to stk v-max weight? Should be trapping OVER 140mph.
BTW, didja get my PM???

Got pics of the rear? If so, send to:
[email protected]

Looks like a good deal on the shifter. On a V-max, i'm sure you'll pickup .1-.15 minimum in the 1/4. Mr. Max is not the easiest bike to shift quickly. Most people claim that much on a stk wheelbase bike v/s foot shifting. I've made passes foot shifting and air shifting back to back(several times back and forth) and did'nt gain anything, though i've made over 1000 passes footshifting stk wheelbase bikes(of many makes). That said, i still have to pay 110% attention to get them right on my V-max. Maybe mine has issues.:confused2:

Hey Jeff,

Was looking over some of your previous posts. Looks like you've been pulling 112mph in the 1/8? Thats more like it. Your 1/4 mi pass shows a dismal 104mph(1/8). Maybe you spun more than you thought? Any trouble shifting?
Also, i noticed that your running struts on the rear along with a radial street tire. Not a good combination at all. I assure you that you will have FITS with traction and/or wheelies with that combination. Only use struts with a flat bias slick.
You need some suspension on the rear. This will aid traction due to weight transfer and keep the tire in contact w/ the pavement. I'm sure you've noticed that the dragstrip is not as smooth as one would think. All it takes is a very slight dip or bump to unload the tire and its too late.
A short pair of shocks would do ya. Maybe some 11" ers? Though the rear will sit up higher, it will squat once underway getting the bike lower.
I once bought a 00 Haybusa that the previous owner had run a flat slick on at the track. I was having fits at the track, sometimes breaking loose, sometimes wheelies, sometimes halfway decent. Since i had little track experiance, i thought it was me. The best i ever managed was a 9.995 @ 141mph w/ a 1.69 60'. This was at stk wheelbase, strapped up front and lowered in the rear. Talked with a fella that told me to check my rear shock adjustments. The compression was MAXED as was the rebound adjustments! The shock was as stiff as a board! I set the compression 3 clicks from full SOFT and the rebound 3 clicks from full HARD. Hit the track the next weekend and BAM! 9.72 @ 142 right off the trailer. 60' was a 1.61. Made 3 passes that night all in the 9.7's w/ 1.60-1.62 60's. The next weekend i was consistantly in the 1.5's(1.56-1.58's over 6 passes). I could'nt believe how much better it was.

Back