170 tire and washer swap questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
define poor mileage? just about to replace my rear @ 7k miles. front is still 'good' but the cracks have me thinking about replacing it. plus the runout.

define poor mileage? just about to replace my rear @ 7k miles. front is still 'good' but the cracks have me thinking about replacing it. plus the runout.

Poor mileage as in I have just under 2K on my shinko's and I don't see it lasting another 2K. Talking the rear only, the front is fine.

I don't do burnouts. I don't do much highway. Only thing I can come up with is that my friends say that when I hammer it, they can see the rear spinning even though I never notice it. :confused2:

very well could be. one thing i will say though, is that mine looked pretty well getting there at like 3k, but then it looked the same for the next 2k miles.

very well could be. one thing i will say though, is that mine looked pretty well getting there at like 3k, but then it looked the same for the next 2k miles.

Maybe it will surprise me and the second half will wear better?? Who knows. I am a shinko virgin so I'm not sure what to expect till it's all over, LOL. I know the first 1500 miles wore a shit ton of tread off of the tire tho'. I haven't been riding much at all so I'm sure it will be good till next year. Hopefully things fall into place and you can see it for yourself over a fatbag, LOL. Hopeful, but doubtful that will happen

Maybe it will surprise me and the second half will wear better?? Who knows. I am a shinko virgin so I'm not sure what to expect till it's all over, LOL. I know the first 1500 miles wore a shit ton of tread off of the tire tho'. I haven't been riding much at all so I'm sure it will be good till next year. Hopefully things fall into place and you can see it for yourself over a fatbag, LOL. Hopeful, but doubtful that will happen

mmmm fatbags....

but yea, hopefully u can make it uip. we'll have to get a list of the guys who are meeting @ my folks house (anyone coming from south of governeur)...

Poor mileage as in I have just under 2K on my shinko's and I don't see it lasting another 2K. Talking the rear only, the front is fine.

I don't do burnouts. I don't do much highway. Only thing I can come up with is that my friends say that when I hammer it, they can see the rear spinning even though I never notice it. :confused2:

I'm also about to replace my rear 170 Shinko with 7k miles on it. It's still got just about enough life to be safe in the rain, but it's defo burnout material now :eusa_dance:
I got 7k doing a lot of highway miles, no burnouts but plenty of boost in 2nd and 3rd gears..

I would be happy to get 4K on my rear's. Stock was gone in 3500K miles. Tried the Dunlop K555, that lasted less than 4K also. I am running the Me880 (170) and it's already has 2K on the clock and it looks brand new. Have not tried the Shinko's, but have seen them mounted on a few bikes, they look decent.
Oh yeah, no washer swap to keep on topic:biglaugh:

mmmm fatbags....

but yea, hopefully u can make it uip. we'll have to get a list of the guys who are meeting @ my folks house (anyone coming from south of governeur)...

i am but coming from buffalo then syracuse, might spend the night there. guess you mean more the guys coming from utica right???

i am but coming from buffalo then syracuse, might spend the night there. guess you mean more the guys coming from utica right???

Are you heading up the T-way 90?
If so I can hang back and take you right into Utica. I am only 2 hours from Garrett's Parents house.
If your pulling a bike trailer you can leave it here if you did not have a plan. I am just 5 minutes from Exit 43.

haha lets move this over to the NE thread guys! just so its all ine one place!

mike and I. sorry! i thought we were actually on the NE thread!

instead of making a new thread, i was wondering if someone could tell me how to do the washer swap or sticky the link in a reply. i searched and all i can seem to find is people saying to do the washer swap or asking if they need to do it.

I'm considering the Bridgestone 170/80 15 rear tire and from what I've heard, I'll need to do the washer swap.
Two questions: Can the Bridgestone fit the rear after the mod (or are all 170/80 tire brands the same), and last but not least: are there any downsides of moving the washer? Will handling be any different?
Thanks,
MM
Removed, due to question already answered.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm going to do this before I take in my new tires to get mounted. Do I need to tell my mechanic this has been done so it gets reassembled correctly?

will he be taking the rim off or will you?

No sense in doing it now if the wheel is coming off again in a few days for tires.

99% of the people do not need to do the washer swap. In all the threads about it, I don't think I've seen anyone with a stock bike and wheel say it was needed over the 3 or 4 years I've been a member here. No need to offset the wheel any more than it already is. Chances are you will have enough clearance.

Back