170 tire and washer swap questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax1961

Reaction score
I'm considering the Bridgestone 170/80 15 rear tire and from what I've heard, I'll need to do the washer swap.
Two questions: Can the Bridgestone fit the rear after the mod (or are all 170/80 tire brands the same), and last but not least: are there any downsides of moving the washer? Will handling be any different?
Thanks,
MM

I am not totally certain, but each tire is a different size and the Bridgestone should fit just fine after swapping the washer. Moving the tire over gives you less material for the splines to engage with, but I have yet to here of someone destroying the rear end because of the washer swap. Also it makes the offset of the tire to the right which is noticeable. Not a big deal for most, but enough for me to not be interested in stuffing in the 170.

Metzlers ME 880 fit with out washers.

I will let ya know, Mine arrive Monday.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

$265.00 to my door for Both. Thought it was a decent deal. Free shipping was included.

ME 880 Marathon Touring Front Tire
Color - --, Size - 110/90H-18
SKU# 53125

ME 880 Marathon Touring Rear Tire
Color - --, Size - 170/80HB-15
SKU# 53135

I will let ya know, Mine arrive Monday.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

$265.00 to my door for Both. Thought it was a decent deal. Free shipping was included.

ME 880 Marathon Touring Front Tire
Color - --, Size - 110/90H-18
SKU# 53125

ME 880 Marathon Touring Rear Tire
Color - --, Size - 170/80HB-15
SKU# 53135
should fit fine, mine looks awesome.

yea, i run a 120 shinko up front. i think it actually somewhat brings it back to what it should be at higher speeds. in the shinko 170 thread we discussed i believe, i had the same question

The 170 rear fits on existing wheel (and no need to move washer)? Is it really that simple?

For those of you using the Metz ME880, are you getting similar or better mileage to the stock Dunlops/Bridgestones? Handling equivalent?

I'm thinking of buying tires now even though I just put on a new pair of skins 3k miles ago.

I purchased the ME880s from MotorcycleSuperstore (delivered for $256). The shop put 36 psi front and 38 psi in the back. For those of you running ME880s, where do you keep your psi and why? Thanks!

I'm between the Shinko and the Metz. My buddy just put the Shinko on and it is soft and sticky. I like to lean the bike and need more rubber (170). Is there a clear difference in quality, performance that anyone can atest to? Thanks.

I purchased the ME880s from MotorcycleSuperstore (delivered for $256). The shop put 36 psi front and 38 psi in the back. For those of you running ME880s, where do you keep your psi and why? Thanks!

running 36psi on my m880 170 just cause im not light and since i dont drive it for long periods of time dont think the tire warms up that much up here. seems to ride nice at that pressure, never tried below 34 or above 36....yet

I am thinking about going with the Metz's myself. Seem to have good reviews on here, however just a few questions

I usually cruise the highways, with some city riding in there, would it be a good idea to go with the 150 or the 170 on the rear, or is it just for a bigger looking tire, no practical advantages?

Also with the 120 upfront, is there any particular reason you guys are going with the bigger rubber up front, or once again just for looks? THanks for all the help guys.

no real practical advantages with the 170 vs 150 or the 120 or 110. altho i think the 120 up front makes the speedo MORE correct, altho it shows u going slower than you are.

sean has also said that some 170 tires take away some accel but gain top end since its not a perfect ratio.

I am thinking about going with the Metz's myself. Seem to have good reviews on here, however just a few questions

I usually cruise the highways, with some city riding in there, would it be a good idea to go with the 150 or the 170 on the rear, or is it just for a bigger looking tire, no practical advantages?

Also with the 120 upfront, is there any particular reason you guys are going with the bigger rubber up front, or once again just for looks? THanks for all the help guys.

Mostly just looks. I like the bigger tire look and am running the shinkos in 120 and 170. NO fitment issues whatsoever. They handle well. Poor mileage tho.

Back