2001 VMAX Won't Start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchk357

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me. I have a 2001 VMAX that will not start. There is 12.9 volts coming from the battery. When you turn the key to start it, there is no volts coming from the battery. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I am thinking it may be the electric start or the key switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mitch

Did you check the battery connections and the ground wire going to the engine right by the oil filler cap? Have tried jumping across the solonoid to see if the starter spins the motor?

Yes, the members on the forum has seen this on many instances, but each seems to have a different outcome to fix the problem. To test the ingition switch you can jump all 3 wire but only 2 are actually needed.
Then there is the multi-pin connector just after the main fuse, under the left scoop that has been a known source of agrevation as well. It will heat up, and stop connectivity. May cool off, then resume working. Kill switches go bad also.............

I hope someone can help me. I have a 2001 VMAX that will not start. There is 12.9 volts coming from the battery. When you turn the key to start it, there is no volts coming from the battery. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I am thinking it may be the electric start or the key switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mitch

Battery voltage good.
Key on, all systems DOA.
sure sounds like a main fuse, or its holder, to me.

I had the same problems and reconditioned the switch but found that the real problem was having drag bars that allow the throttle cables, etc. to touch the keys when moving slowly in parking lots etc. I tied up the cables tighter to the bars and it does not happen anymore.

I had the same problems and reconditioned the switch but found that the real problem was having drag bars that allow the throttle cables, etc. to touch the keys when moving slowly in parking lots etc. I tied up the cables tighter to the bars and it does not happen anymore.
The routing I use for the throttle cables is to go in front of the R fork and behind the L fork. I run drag bars and the cables are not close to keys even on full lock.
Here is a couple of pictures from back in '08 and one from '13 of my routing:

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 13
Back