21" Front Wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably won't clear the front fender without it spaced up.

A 21" wheel is typically used for off road bikes as it is an advantage for them to have a larger wheel to traverse rough terrain. Aside from the fact that finding a 21" street tire that would work for a Vmax and the issues Sean noted, I'm sure you'd also lose some handling ability which is a premium on a Vmax as is. Probably a lot of fabrication involved to make it work well.

There are quite a few options in 21" street bike tires.

120/90/18" is 26.5" Tall. This tire works on the OEM wheel with no mods to the fender but there is not much clearance between the fender and tire.

120/70/21 is 27.61" Tall

1.11" total height difference. It will reduce fender clearance by .555" I would say that you will definitely need to raise the fender.

Only place that I can think of that MIGHT make a bolt on 21" for the vmax is RC. Sean would know better than I.

Other than that, it will take some custom fabrication.

I'm sure it would affect the handling a little but I doubt it would be anything severe.

I think it would look good. Interesting idea.

few guys have just run without fenders too eh? not sure if the brace would be in the way. could runwithout that too i imagine. but i'd bring a change of shorts.

If you guys read the custom bike magazines, you'll see the trend of Baggers running 21-22-23-24 inch fronts. I think it looks cool. Straight line shouldn't make a difference. So, dragracing stoplight to stoplight would still be a go right?
Obviously a fork brace is a problem but mounting a fender bracket or mounts is easy enough. I say go for it!

Thanks for the input so far guys. If I go this route, I plan on using Harley wheels adapted with hubs similiar to what Jedi was doing. I am planning to use R1 forks with a custom triple clamp. So fender fab will be necessary to begin with. My manin concern was handling and cornering...

Thanks for the input so far guys. If I go this route, I plan on using Harley wheels adapted with hubs similiar to what Jedi was doing. I am planning to use R1 forks with a custom triple clamp. So fender fab will be necessary to begin with. My manin concern was handling and cornering...

Good choice on the usd forks , but you will need either fork extensions or a dropped fork to make up the difference in fork length . I have pics of the extensions ( not my first choice ) and a chromed & dropped R-1 / Race Tech modified fork from Sean @ Morleys Muscle. :punk: Good luck.

Attachments

• Triple tree extensions cycle one -1.jpg
    Triple tree extensions cycle one -1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 7-19-11 533.jpg
    7-19-11 533.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 28
4". Allows for stock ride height or you can drop the forks through the tripple and set it lower if desired.

Sean

not sure. The increased ride height from the taller wheel will increase effective rake and in theory should make it more stable on high speed but slower turning. BUT, it will also shift weight around and take some off the front.

Overall, we can try and estimate what it will do but it's all conjecture until someone does it.

Sean

Is there a flexing problem with fork extensions on an usd type fork converted to a Vmax? I know this is a wheel thread, my apologies.
Steve

Good choice on the usd forks , but you will need either fork extensions or a dropped fork to make up the difference in fork length . I have pics of the extensions ( not my first choice ) and a chromed & dropped R-1 / Race Tech modified fork from Sean @ Morleys Muscle. :punk: Good luck.

Last edited:
Good point. On a lowered bike it's very common for the fender to hit into the radiator. So, moving it up will do the same thing.

Sean

Back