40 mpg ?!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el oso

Reaction score
My max is a 2006, stock except for Supertrapp slip-ons. I always got very close to 34 mpg - very consistent - on my daily 35mi one-way commute. Suddenly, I got 40mpg on a tank-full. Thought it was a fluke, but have gone through three tanks now - right at 40 mpg. I'm riding in traffic on the freeway mostly, so very mild cruising is all that's possible - just like always. Could a cylinder dropping out do this? Any ideas?

no, 40 is common amongst a bunch of us. if you dropped a cylinder it would get worse as you would still be dumping in fuel but no explosion so would be wasting fuel not saving it. they do tend to get better mileage running them a bit faster like 80mph but as you said in traffic, maybe its finally breaking in and your getting the mileage out of it, dont look a gift horse in the mouth ahahahahah enjoy it

" TUGLA " .. IS RIGHT , MY " 06 " GETS 43.25 MPG'S , ALL DAY LONG , ON THE HIGHWAY ! .. IT HAS GOTTEN JUST OVER 46 MPG'S , BUT AROUND TOWN , THAT DROPS CONSIDERABLY ! ... :biglaugh:

my 89 gets:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::ummm:

My 2006 with 124hp at the wheel gets 42 or so and around 39 with my wife on board.

Chris

:rofl_200:I ment, I can never get through a tank of gas without being heavy handed on the throttle. So I'm not sure what MPG I get......

i think all our numbers reflect that as well though...

:rofl_200:I ment, I can never get through a tank of gas without being heavy handed on the throttle. So I'm not sure what MPG I get......

Medically that's called "TPS" or Tootsie Pop Syndrome. Kinda like them old comercials of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? 1-2-3 *crunch
You start out riding with good intentions, mile 1-2-3 Booooost!

I get in the 40's on the highway, around town mid 30's

My 06 with 4/1 Kerker is getting 30 mpg tops. any suggestions?
I did pull the plugs today and the one looks like it is running richer than the others.

medically that's called "tps" or tootsie pop syndrome. Kinda like them old commercials of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? 1-2-3 *crunch
you start out riding with good intentions, mile 1-2-3 booooost!

i get in the 40's on the highway, around town mid 30's
"LoL""LoL""LoL" , EXACTLY !

My 06 with 4/1 Kerker is getting 30 mpg tops. any suggestions?
I did pull the plugs today and the one looks like it is running richer than the others.

Sounds very rich to me. I would say you should be running at least a stage 1 jet kit or morley kit. Sync your carbs. The two of those should get you back on track! I only run SS supertrapps with open end caps on my 05 with no carb mods. I get about 43mpg on the average.

OK Thanks. I guess I just had sudden break-in syndrome at 9000mi. I was happy with 34, but 40 is great! Now I tell my wife it's just economical transportation.

Hey wait - I just realized that the guy I bought it from put 4500mi on it and told me he had always run synthetic oil. I put synthetic in it too at the first oil change I gave it, but I put regular oil in it last time. So something significant DID change. Hmmm. Maybe the synthetic kept it from breaking in properly?

OK Thanks. I guess I just had sudden break-in syndrome at 9000mi. I was happy with 34, but 40 is great! Now I tell my wife it's just economical transportation.

Hey wait - I just realized that the guy I bought it from put 4500mi on it and told me he had always run synthetic oil. I put synthetic in it too at the first oil change I gave it, but I put regular oil in it last time. So something significant DID change. Hmmm. Maybe the synthetic kept it from breaking in properly?

Mine has 4000 miles on it, but I broke it in myself and it runs strong and gets great MPG for what it is and with the carbs setup the way they are.

Latest posts

Back