440's and intiminators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the 440's I got off of ebay about 9 months ago. I also tightened up the steering stem bearings and raised the forks up in the trees an inch to see how I like that. I have some intiminators and plan to lower the front when I install them. Just not sure how much drop I want to do. .5, 1 or 1.5".

A couple questions:
1. the 440's have a washer on the shaft, inside the spring, on the bottom half of the shock. The washer is loose and I can hear it jingling around in there. Is there any way to get this washer to lock in place? The noise is annoying.

2. Is anyone running intiminators with lowered forks and stock springs?? I'm planning to lower but am worried about bottoming out with stock springs. I'm not sure if the intiminators will prevent bottoming or not??

Got Intiminators w/stock springs on my '89.Lowered front in trees 1".No issues .Have 12" Progressive 412's in back.

Thanks for the info BTM. Sounds like good news. When I open up my forks to put in the intiminators I going to take them apart the rest of the way and lower the forks internally and put in new seals while I'm at it. That is the long term plan tho'. That will be this winter.

Also, thinking about shortening the kickstand. To anyone who has done this before, is 3/4" a good amout to chop out? Are you removing the material between the foot and the "nub" that the spring attaches to so you don't have to mess with getting a different spring?

I have the intiminators with stock springs, lowered 1.5" in trees. not long after I did this I ended up with a leaking fork seal. I dont know if it is from lowering the front end in the trees with stock springs or if it was just a coinsidence. But I am lowering the front end 2" internally and installing race tech springs probably next weekend.
the intiminators are great though, I noticed a huge difference after installing them.

Richard

I have the intiminators installed with Progressive springs and lowered internally 2". I tried to put the stock springs back in to see what they were like, but they bottomed out just by the bike coming off of the center stand. I would guess there would be less of a chance of bottoming out if you only drop it 1" or 1.5" and maybe add some pre-load, but those springs are so mushy, they would probably still bottom out if the forks are lowered internally that much. I would raise the forks in the trees for now to get the drop you want, then do it internally when you can get some stiffer springs.

BUMP:

Anyone know if it's normal for the washer inside my 440's to be jingling around? It's in the location of the "rubber bumper" you see on the stock shocks. It makes alot of noise and is annoying

Anyone have any tips on shortening the kickstand as far as where to remove the material from, and how much to section out of it?

That washer comes loose and is supposed to seat after a few good bumps while riding. That's what Progressive says...and mine did.
I've also got the intimidators with progressive springs and lowered internally 1.5". Initially it was extremely harsh. I played with the oil level and have it set good now but I know some would say it's still to stiff.

Dale #2592

I have the 440s end although they seem noisy and harsh when the wheels' coming down in a hole for example, they work great and I think my washers seated themselves as I have no noise problem from there.
Have ricor and progressive up front, at standard height I believe, and again it works great for me with the recommended 5W oil and without cutting down the spacers that were fitted with the progressive. Running no air either (my older forks still have the air valve).

Back