85 Drag Bike Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,

Doing a chain drive drive conversion isn't that difficult. With your crazy skills the cost wouldn't be that high. In fact I'll donate that arm I offered you early on. Just for the cost of shipping it to you. ( my donation to your effort ) The conversion does require machining the cases which I can do for you. You can buy a sprocket weldment from PCW I'm sure. The rest is fairly simple just a matter of assembly which I'm sure your capable of.

Gary, I think I may take you up on your offer. I'll PM you my address and let me know how you want paid. I'm also willing to give you something for it, but I am on a limited budget.... if it wasn't for my wife, I'd be living paycheck to paycheck... I get pissed at her, but love her for setting budgets!

Gary, I think I may take you up on your offer. I'll PM you my address and let me know how you want paid. I'm also willing to give you something for it, but I am on a limited budget.... if it wasn't for my wife, I'd be living paycheck to paycheck... I get pissed at her, but love her for setting budgets!

Hey Jeff,

If you ever want to get rid of her... let me know. I am living pay check to pay check :bang head: All kidding aside sounds like you scored a good woman.

Catching up on your progress Jeff..

I personally wouldnt mount a fuel tank high and over an engine on a dragbike. Battery and fuel mounted as low as possible.
On an avg 1/4 mile run you will burn about 1 qaurt of fuel if you are using a pit bike. If you are riding to the lanes and back down the return road I cant see you needing anymore then 1.5 qts.
If its a low budget dragbike that you are building I wouldnt spend the 1000.00 bucks on a rear wheel, bushing, etc. The 15in rear wheel is more then enough rubber with bars on the VMAX and the tire height works with the VMAX engine.

Catching up on your progress Jeff..

I personally wouldnt mount a fuel tank high and over an engine on a dragbike. Battery and fuel mounted as low as possible.
On an avg 1/4 mile run you will burn about 1 qaurt of fuel if you are using a pit bike. If you are riding to the lanes and back down the return road I cant see you needing anymore then 1.5 qts.
If its a low budget dragbike that you are building I wouldnt spend the 1000.00 bucks on a rear wheel, bushing, etc. The 15in rear wheel is more then enough rubber with bars on the VMAX and the tire height works with the VMAX engine.

Thanks, I already am having the fuel tank worked on (and it is in the faux tank) I don't think anyone has told me that is a good place, but I'm going to try it anyway... I'm a stubborn SOB sometimes... just ask my wife! For right now, I'm going to get a Phoenix tire and run the stock swingarm/driveshaft, but I'm looking to go chaindrive in the future. I got a brand new M&H tire/slick I'll sell you if you are interested... I'll give you a hell of a deal.
Jeff

Yeah I see you ask a lot of questions and do the opposite of what people suggest so thats why I quit offering my advice and opinions to you. I been down the road and traveled it with success that your traveling to an extent of building a bike for the street and strip and just for the strip and had a buddy who built a drag VMAX.
What size is your M&H?

Thanks, I already am having the fuel tank worked on (and it is in the faux tank) I don't think anyone has told me that is a good place, but I'm going to try it anyway... I'm a stubborn SOB sometimes... just ask my wife! For right now, I'm going to get a Phoenix tire and run the stock swingarm/driveshaft, but I'm looking to go chaindrive in the future. I got a brand new M&H tire/slick I'll sell you if you are interested... I'll give you a hell of a deal.
Jeff

The M&H is a 26.0/6.0-15

And I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. Just because I don't always take the advice doesn't mean it isn't appreciated or doesn't mean it is right or wrong. Variety is the spice of life. Please don't take anything I do or don't do personally. My welder is having a hell of a time with the tank in the scoop so I may be going another route anyway... if I do, I'll need a new faux tank too..... they don't handle welding all that well.

He should be able to tig it in. If he can't then send it here with it tacked in place and Ryan will weld it up for you.

Sean

Thanks Mr. Jones! I did get a few more things done on the bike this last weekend. I got a few exhaust brackets laser cut and some intake spacers cut as well. This means I should finally be ready to mout the turbo and (fingers crossed) get it running! I have the fuel pump, regulator, my freshly fabricated fuel tank (built in the faux lid/cover).... I'm getting really close!
I also built a triangle stand out of some scrap rod, and the thing works surprisingly well. It goes into the hole in the rear axle and supports the bike nicely. I'll try to get some pics of my progress in the next day or two.

Jeff

Here are some pics of my progress.... doesn't look like much, but I'll be getting quite a bit further after tonight.... a few more hours of work and my arse will be in the garage!

Oh, and if anyone else wants to know where to put the fuel tank.... put it back where the stock one is located.... This lid is F-up! I have a VERY good welder working on this and he was cursing like a sailor at it! The lid material bends, cracks, etc.... wasn't easy, but he finally got it. I still think I'll be happy with it.

Attachments

• P1010195.jpg
    P1010195.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010196.jpg
    P1010196.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010197.jpg
    P1010197.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010198.jpg
    P1010198.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010199.jpg
    P1010199.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 61
  • P1010200.jpg
    P1010200.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010201.jpg
    P1010201.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 48
I could probably use some of those spacers with no holes in the center and a bit thicker flanges for block off plates for stored engines. Would still like the o-ring grove cut into them. Something possible? Email me with an idea of cost. Maybe some of the guys on here would want some for when they are working on thier bikes or spare engines of thier own.

Sean

I could probably use some of those spacers with no holes in the center and a bit thicker flanges for block off plates for stored engines. Would still like the o-ring grove cut into them. Something possible? Email me with an idea of cost. Maybe some of the guys on here would want some for when they are working on thier bikes or spare engines of thier own.

Sean

I'm sure we can get something made up. I still don't have the o-ring groove cut in these yet. I'm trying to think of a very simple way to do that and all I can come up with is to get a hole drill bit on a drill-press and cut a small circular groove in it. I'm sure that would work well for your needs Sean, but I'm not sure if it will work for a running (pressurized) intake?

Thoughts?

I'm sure we can get something made up. I still don't have the o-ring groove cut in these yet. I'm trying to think of a very simple way to do that and all I can come up with is to get a hole drill bit on a drill-press and cut a small circular groove in it. I'm sure that would work well for your needs Sean, but I'm not sure if it will work for a running (pressurized) intake?

Thoughts?

Jeff, How about making a jig out of round stock with a couple studs in the face to bolt the spacers to and cut the o-ring groove with a round faced tool on a lathe?

I'm diggin' it Jeff. I may have to swing down that way just to take a gander in person at it and catch up with ya! I'm workin' my arse off but I'll try and call ya soon.

:biglaugh::punk::clapping::worthy:Dustin, you know you and anyone you know are always welcome to come on down.

Good News tonight....

IT RUNS!!!!! WITH THE TURBO!!!!!!!!

I had some buddies over and 2 cases of beer... I'm feeling GREAT by the way. The garage is filled with fumes, I smell, my wife is pissed at me, but the freaking thing runs, and sounds bad ass by the way. I am very excited to see how this thing turns out! It wanted to idle, but kind of fell on it's face at higher RPM's. Lots of work ahead, but had some pretty good luck tonight. :eusa_dance::ummm::bang head::punk::clapping::eusa_dance:

:thumbs up: Nice Jeff, and yes throw us a crumb like BOP asked! :worthy:
Please!......... see we're even asking nice too!:eek:h yeah:
For now anyways....:hourglass:

Back