85 fires up after 21 years!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. But Mr Hubeer stopped by with his carbs just pulled from his 02 max. Popped them on, and after a bit of fiddling the 85 fired right off.:eusa_dance::punk:

I still have a chubby.

Sweet! Coming to Peoria now?

Chris

lol. One step at a time. It needs allot more. Now that I know it runs, its time to buy some parts. fix the clurch. brakes pads filters tires grips etc. Oh the V boost wasn't opening 100%.

The front tire is still stock 1985 lol

Might be fall before I actually get it road worthy my speed.

These bikes are awesome.
Mine started after it lowsided, went down a little hill side, up another little hill side, over a car, threw a tree and down to take out 40' of chain link fence.
The beast that it is fired up, but the swingarm was twisted in a bad way and wouldnt push forward.

LOVE THAT BIKE:punk:

Progress. Vboost now working well. Carbs, breather & airbox on and tight. Throttle cables hooked up.

Idles and revs up nice. During warm up heard a puff or two out of Morleys carbs and airbox but cleared up when warm.:confused2:

Two things are keeping me from melting the rear tire off..

Clutch Slave leaking (used one on the way) and some rear brake pads to get her rolling.
Then its new tires and cosmetic bodywork.:eusa_dance: Lots of polishing planned.

How important is the carb syncro as far as safety not performace? I need to ask Jeff Hubeer to show me how..

Thanks to everyone for your support. This forum is great.:punk:

:punk: Hey, gotta love those 85's, they started it all and are still going. Good Job, Spur

Update..

I drove the vmax around the block a few times last night.

I still heard a puff or two from the carbs when the rpms dropped into the 1500-2000 range. I hope a carb sync will clear that up.

Time to get plates registration and a license.

Thanks everyone

Congrats! So I'll see you in Peoria!

Mine puffs sometimes as well and they're sync'd. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hell my big twin with FI can puff back so bad that it stalls. lol

Everyone of them does it but not if you don't rev it when it's not supposed to be. Same goes with the max.

Chris

Puffs every so often generally aren't a big concern, though when I first got my quad it "puffed" quite a bit and would often stall itself. It only did it at idle speed so I kind ignored it, until once it lit the foam air filter on fire. Then I tore apart the carb and cleared it all up, then it ran great.

There's a great tutorial in the "carbs" forum here as well with pictures. There really isn't much to it, you don't even need adapters, the Max's manifold has vacuum ports built right in. Boiled down...
-Remove the "H" pieces from both sides.
-Remove the hose from the left-front port, and the caps from the other 3.
-Hook up the manometer, start the motor and let it run for a few minutes to warm up, so it idles at about 1000 with no choke.
-The flat slot screw visible on the left side between the carbs sync's the left two carbs. Fiddle with it until the tubes/gauges even out. Blip the gas after each adjustment. Then do the same for the right two. Looking at the clutch side of the bike, the screw toward the back sync's the right two, and the screw toward the front sync's the left side to the right side.
-Adjusting one side sometimes slightly throws off the other, so you might have to go back and forth a couple times.
-When I did mine they all ended up at about 8.5 inHg, +/- .1in. I found getting them absolutely perfect was nearly impossible, but all were between 8.4 and 8.6.....compared to between 7.5 and 9.2 when I started.

-Remove the "H" pieces from both sides.
-Remove the hose from the left-front port, and the caps from the other 3.
-Hook up the manometer, start the motor and let it run for a few minutes to warm up, so it idles at about 1000 with no choke.
-The flat slot screw visible on the left side between the carbs sync's the left two carbs. Fiddle with it until the tubes/gauges even out. Blip the gas after each adjustment. Then do the same for the right two. Looking at the clutch side of the bike, the screw toward the back sync's the right two, and the screw toward the front sync's the left side to the right side.
-Adjusting one side sometimes slightly throws off the other, so you might have to go back and forth a couple times.
-When I did mine they all ended up at about 8.5 inHg, +/- .1in. I found getting them absolutely perfect was nearly impossible, but all were between 8.4 and 8.6.....compared to between 7.5 and 9.2 when I started.

Sounds doable. Thanks. I just need to jet a hold of a friend to borrow his gear.

I hammered it hard today slamming it into second gear and roasting the tire. Damn that felt good.

Will update..

It will really feel good when it does the 2nd to 3rd gear wheel stand on the freeway on ramp:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Thats actually why I lowered my bike 2 3/4" in the front, not only does it launch like a dragster now but it corners alot better too.
I also lowered it 2" in the back.
<<Dave>>:punk:

way to go on getting that old max back on the road,i went through alot with my 86 to get her ridable again but well worth it.do you have a recent pic of your bike?

you have a recent pic of your bike?

Here ya go.. Bout laid her down with the 25 year old tires.. :biglaugh: Time for another blast.:punk:see ya

Attachments

• vmax 003.jpg
    vmax 003.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 22
Good job on bringing back the '85. I'm not sure where to hook up my carbtune to the bike. Forgive my ignorance, just haven't taken alot of time to figure it out.:ummm:

Back