85 Max starting issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85maxman

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I have an 85 max and having issues getting the bike to turnover. There were never any issues until I replaced the stator due to a dead winding. Now, when I hit the starter, the bike will turnover strong for about half a revolution, then die out and no longer spin, with or without the spark plugs installed. I get a volt reading of 9.5 volts when cranking. I know for a fact the battery is good. I've rebuilt the starter due to a loose magnet in the housing. The starter cable ohms out fine and is not grounding out anywhere. Also the engine isn't siezed since I can turn it over with a 3/8 rachet. The only thing I can think it might be is the starter clutch on the crank siezing up. Anybody ever heard of something like this happening, or any suggestions?

Ride Hard! :punk:

Put a screwdriver across the starter relay terminals. If it's better then bad relay. Charge the battery before re-trying.

If you get a voltage reading of 9.5 when cranking, your battery IS NOT good. I just went through the same thing, and it was resolved by replacing the battery. I went with the Odyssey PC680 battery. It's very pricy, but worth it. I now get 12.9v on the battery itself, 12.5 with key turned on, and 11.9 when cranking. Engine fires instantly.

Thanks for the input. I've switched the battery out with 2 other batteries I have around. Same thing happens the engine cranks but then completely stalls, thats when the voltage reading bottoms out at 9.5 volts.

New development.
I just tried loosening all the bolts on the stator cover. With the bolts loose, the engine turns over just fine. Which means something is binding when all the bolts are tightened. I used silicon to replace the gasket when I reassembled the side cover. Are the tolerances so tight that the gasket is required for spacing?

I was told in an earlier thread that can be a problem. Make sure you use the stock gasket, or at least one of the same thickness as stock.

There is a crimped connection in the wireing system that many feel needs to be soldered, I did it and improved volts by 9/10's of a volt. this my friend is not your problem BUT do it when you get the issue you have ironed out.

Shorthair.............

Carefully check your assembly of the starter gear train, with the cover tightening down you're obviously binding something up. perhaps even the non existent gasket is enough to crush the assembly enough to jam it all up.

You must have the gasket in place or it will bind. This was figured out long ago but not commonly known.

Sean

Latest posts

Back