89Max Running Ruff

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad-Max89

Reaction score
Hey fellow maxers looking for help. Before I parked bike for the winter filled tank with high octane gas also a friend suggested using somthing called Marine stable. Guess its supposed to keep gas stable by keeping water from building up. Never tried it before so did it. Well today it was 65 here in Buffalo NY so decided to take Max for a ride. Warmed bike up got going and about a mile into ride noticed bike seemed real sputtery almost like its not running on all 4 cylenders. I decided to pull the plugs and change them. They did not look too bad there only 2 years old. So changed them out after doing that took it for another ride. Bike is still running the same. Not sure what the issue is bike only has 19,000 miles on it. Was wondering if its the fule and stable in it that's making bike run like crap or maybe even the fule filter. I have never changed it have owned bike 4 years now. But just hoping its something easy and not a bigger issue. Like I said bike was running great before I parked it fot winter. Hope someone may know what's happening with motorcycle.

Could be a fuel filter or perhaps the fuel itself.

After you change out the fuel filter (I swap mine out every year, they're cheap enough) Try the shotgun or peashooter cleaning technique then get yourself some Seafoam and pour a couple of oz's in the tank, then take it for a ride to get it all circulated.

I live in buffalo if you want and still have issues I could help

Well I'm going to start with draining fuel out of tank and replace old fuel filter. Then start from there HOPE IT WORKS. If I still have issues I will get with you Woodsman thanks for the offer.

After you put the stabil in the fuel did you run the bike for a bit to get it to circulate through the carbs?

Carbs might be gummed up a bit from sitting. Easiest thing to do is add a little seafoam and ride through a tank of gas and see if it helps. If not, I would proceed with the the shotgun and peashooter.

I had the same problem i changed the ilter and the gas,no change turned out to be a clogged jet did the shotgun it worked good luck

I think I would simply get rif of the high octane fuel + stabiliser, drain the fuel bowls, refill with fresh standard grade unleaded, and give it a good ride. I reckon after about half a tank it'll clear up and run fine again.

Also a good carb sync wouldn't go amiss, it is supposed to be done often to keep things running well and good.

Hey fellow maxers looking for help. Before I parked bike for the winter filled tank with high octane gas also a friend suggested using somthing called Marine stable. Guess its supposed to keep gas stable by keeping water from building up. Never tried it before so did it. Well today it was 65 here in Buffalo NY so decided to take Max for a ride. Warmed bike up got going and about a mile into ride noticed bike seemed real sputtery almost like its not running on all 4 cylenders. I decided to pull the plugs and change them. They did not look too bad there only 2 years old. So changed them out after doing that took it for another ride. Bike is still running the same. Not sure what the issue is bike only has 19,000 miles on it. Was wondering if its the fule and stable in it that's making bike run like crap or maybe even the fule filter. I have never changed it have owned bike 4 years now. But just hoping its something easy and not a bigger issue. Like I said bike was running great before I parked it fot winter. Hope someone may know what's happening with motorcycle.

Just my two cents, but I had these kinds of problems almost always after `some` storage, got a lot of help here but no real avail, b ut the problem disappeared completely after:
- I "sealed" the left scoop with some self-adhesive "mousse" , sorry don`t know the English word, the type of tape you would stick around a door to stop the draught
- parked the bike on top of the grease-pit in my garage, that`s to say above a pit on wooden logs in stead of on the `damp` stone floor (semi-heated garage)

Ever since it`s been running like it were fuel injected

David

Just my two cents, but I had these kinds of problems almost always after `some` storage, got a lot of help here but no real avail, b ut the problem disappeared completely after:
- I "sealed" the left scoop with some self-adhesive "mousse" , sorry don`t know the English word, the type of tape you would stick around a door to stop the draught
- parked the bike on top of the grease-pit in my garage, that`s to say above a pit on wooden logs in stead of on the `damp` stone floor (semi-heated garage)

David

i have no idea how that would help, but pretty neat. why seal the left scoop?

as far as the OP's issue, how much marine stable did you put in? you can put too much in

as far as the OP's issue, how much marine stable did you put in? you can put too much in

It`s just very moisture sensitive, and most sensitive electronics are under the left scoop

I know, it`s crazy, but it worked for me. I got the idea when I noted once it always ran horrible after
- I drove it through the rain before parking
- the misses had mopped the garage floor

So, sealing the left scoop was trying to remedy point 1, getting it off that damp floor was trying to remedy point 2.

So, no idea what was the real solution, but I`m not going to experiment :biglaugh:

i think i would simply get rif of the high octane fuel + stabiliser, drain the fuel bowls, refill with fresh standard grade unleaded, and give it a good ride. I reckon after about half a tank it'll clear up and run fine again.

Also a good carb sync wouldn't go amiss, it is supposed to be done often to keep things running well and good.
+1

methanol.....gums evrything up no matter what i put in to stabilize over the winter. I've had to tear my carbs apart for the last 2 years in a row....the same time ALL of the gas stations around here started putting it in all of the grades of gas. Best bet is find some pure gas (no methanol) for your winter storage regiment.

gamorg02, Well my friend added the stable to tank. But I know he used the little guied that's on the neck of the bottle. So know he didn't add more then it should have needed. Was also wondering what type of fuel filter should I use for 1989 model. Is there a better or worse kind to use.

This is the first year I have ever used stable in tank. So hoping it's not a gummed up carb. Sounds like a lot of work and money to have them cleaned. But going to try getting rid of gas and new filter first. Thanks everyone for the help here will let you all know how things turn out.

Marine stabile is very concentrated. One capfull is plenty in 4 gals. We also use a bottle of water zorb on boats for storage. It mixes the moisture with the gas to make it burnable. New fuel filters before strorage.
Once I get a tank of fresh gas into my bike it runs fine after storage. I start her up at least once every 3 weeks in the off season. Stabilized gas for storage in everything gas powered.
Steve

Just to give you an idea

- `dry` parking
- battery tender
- `sealed` left scoop

Turned my love-to-hate relation with Llamrei to a pure love one :clapping:

Attachments

• dry park.jpg
    dry park.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 14
Well it wasn't the gas or fuel filter causing me issues. Decided to pull air box and buddy checked each slide above the carb. Well turned out 1 of the 4 was not working right after opening cover And cheching diaphragm slide noticed the slide it self was cracked. Not sure how that's possible but it was. Called local Yamaha shop and had them order me a new one. Will have to wait until next week before i can get it back in bike. Just hoping that does the job. If anyone can explane how slide might have cracked please feel free to answer me back. Thanks again guys for all the feed back it really comes in handy.

I think diaphrams suffer from old age after 20 years. Mine were just starting to rip along the edges. But slides? They can last a long time if kept clean. My guess would be they get brittle in extremem cold. Plastic.

David
If it works for you then do it, never know what works and what don't till you tried it.

Hey guys got the new slide in bike couple days ago. Boy bike is running better then ever did 120 miles and its runing the the mean fucker it should be..lol. Thanks for the help again everyone it helps. Ride safe and have fun.

Latest posts

Back