About to buy 1st VMAX and have a few questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evenhanded

Reaction score
I've owned recently a V-Rod, a few BMW's, and until yesterday a Road King Custom and I'm thinking I've finally found a bike I'm going to stick with for a bit... I found a seemingly very well-maintained 1994 VMAX, yellow, for sale by the original owner. I've heard a lot of good about the bike, and very little bad. In fact the only bad thing I have heard about is the handling, and that it is mainly because of the tires. If it's not too expensive a fix, can someone share with me a good, cheap way to correct the handling issue and use radial tires? I've read that there is some rim replacement I can do cheaply - if this is best way I'm all for it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi and welcome! Well, there is no "cheap" way to go with radials. You will need to buy a modified rear wheel to accept either a 17 or 18 inch radial. The stock front wheel can be fitted with a 110 size 18 inch radial. Most handling issues can be traced to incorrectly adjusted or worn steering head bearings and under inflated or worn out tires.

The handling is the only thing that you've got right so far!
A lot of VMax owners see the handling (front springs, frame flexing, rear shocks) as the weakest link in the VMax. Some disagree, but most upgrade the handling with frame braces, progressive or racetec springs and emulators. And better rear shocks. A lot of guys also lower the bike 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Then there are the brake upgrades. But most of these upgrades are well under 500 bucks for each mod. Except for things like wave rotors all around or a full exhaust system.

As far as radials go. That is another upgrade those that can afford to, do. Affordability is debatable. In my opinion, it is the most expensive upgrade to do. Best I can guess is over a 1000 bucks to upgrade to rims to radial sizes. Not including the tires. Then your looking at more bucks to upgrade the swingarm if you want a wider tire for the rear.

I would recommend you spend some considerable time reading this forum. Bounce around and check out some of the threads even ask more specific questions if you like.
The VMax is Not a VROD and It is Not a BMW. It's an animal of it's own class. Some of us morphe it into a hybrid road warrior/cruiser/tourer/drag monster.
But what we all generally have in common as VMax owners is, we Love the VMax FOR WHAT IT IS and the fact that it can be modified in so many ways to suite one's own needs and tastes!

Welcome to the VMF!
:punk:

A lot of VMax owners see the handling (front springs, frame flexing, rear shocks) as the weakest link in the VMax. Some disagree, but most upgrade the handling with frame braces, progressive or racetec springs and emulators. And better rear shocks. A lot of guys also lower the bike 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Then there are the brake upgrades. But most of these upgrades are well under 500 bucks for each mod. Except for things like wave rotors all around or a full exhaust system.

As far as radials go. That is another upgrade those that can afford to, do. Affordability is debatable. In my opinion, it is the most expensive upgrade to do. Best I can guess is over a 1000 bucks to upgrade to rims to radial sizes. Not including the tires. Then your looking at more bucks to upgrade the swingarm if you want a wider tire for the rear.

I would recommend you spend some considerable time reading this forum. Bounce around and check out some of the threads even ask more specific questions if you like.
The VMax is Not a VROD and It is Not a BMW. It's an animal of it's own class. Some of us morphe it into a hybrid road warrior/cruiser/tourer/drag monster.
But what we all generally have in common as VMax owners is, we Love the VMax FOR WHAT IT IS and the fact that it can be modified in so many ways to suite one's own needs and tastes!

Welcome to the VMF!

Very well said, Cowboy - an welcome aboard evenhanded

Mike

Thats the great thing about the VMAX soooooo many after market products to personalize it to your personality!
No its not a BMW or a Hardley. Coming off a Harley you wont think the VMAX is that bad of a handler you will be to excited from the power you have never felt on your BMW or Harley.

I love my Frame Flexxing Wobbler! I dont care what anyone says or cries about!:red ass:

Welcome to the VMF!

I've been reading it since I found the VMAX I like, and have a ways to go. I know it's not any of the bikes I've owned - I was just sharing my riding experience, not making a comparison. I'm looking at just $1,000 to spend on the bike as soon as I get it, with the work done at a shop - this is why I'm asking opinion rather than just perusing posts. Can I make the VMAX handle noticeably better for that $1,000. It looks to me like I can replace the back rim for $600 (whether from eBay or the Kosman mod) and leave the front one as-is, then get new tires for another $200 or so. Even if this is more expenisve and comes to $1,200 total would that be better than doing 2 of the $500 things?

From what I've read, I'm leaning towards the frame braces and the rear rim and 2 tires...

I found the "biggest bang for the buck" mod is going with radials. You will notice the biggest handling change by doing that. A lot depends on how you want to ride it. If you want to ride it like a sport bike then you will need more mods than just the radials. If you ride only semi crazy, then radials might be the only mod you need. You'll be the final judge on that, but when I went with radials, the difference is handling was like night and day.

Instead of trying to burn $1000 right away on mods you will most likely not be happy with...I would suggest.

Save your money to buy a nice set of wheels if you really want the radial route.

http://cycleoneoff.com/V-max-wheels.html & http://cycleoneoff.com/MVC-015ttS.JPG is a good setup.

http://rccomponents.com/wheelselector/vmax.htm is also good, but, very slow.

Better yet, ride the bike and figure out what you can't live without and then decide. You just might find that a stock Max isn't all that bad at all, unless you are a twisty rider on a cruiser.

VMax mods are like Lays Potato chips, nobody can have just one, so be careful!

Neil

I would agree that upgrading to radials and frame braces are great improvements to the vmax, but depending on the current overall condition of the bike and budget, I would start with checking all the basics first, brakes, suspension, bearings (wheels, steering, swingarm), etc... and if still have cash get the radials.

Mike

I would agree that upgrading to radials and frame braces are great improvements to the vmax, but depending on the current overall condition of the bike and budget, I would start with checking all the basics first, brakes, suspension, bearings (wheels, steering, swingarm), etc... and if still have cash get the radials.

Mike
Very good point maxcruiser :punk:

Thanks to both of you. If not cheap what is the best bang for your buck? This is one I found, any exp with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vmax...022QQitemZ350077802431QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Welcome M8!

That wheel you show is from a Vrod and then made to work on a Max...

It's probably one of the cheaper alternatives. I am very happy with my carrozzeria wheels but they aren't the cheapest wheels on the planet, but are VERY light and well made and IMO of course look great on my max.

Forks springs and rear shocks are another great mod as well as slipping in some EBC HH pads in the brakes.

Enjoy and good luck.

Welcome M8!

That wheel you show is from a Vrod and then made to work on a Max...

It's probably one of the cheaper alternatives. I am very happy with my carrozzeria wheels but they aren't the cheapest wheels on the planet, but are VERY light and well made and IMO of course look great on my max.

Forks springs and rear shocks are another great mod as well as slipping in some EBC HH pads in the brakes.

Enjoy and good luck.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I don't ride like a sportbike at all, I just want something that won't feel all squirrelly on curves or turns. I test road it on a gravel strewn, pot-hole filled dirt road, so I have no idea how one really rides. Bikes in amazing shape, looks brand new actually. I'm thinking I am going to just get it and see if it rides just fine around town and then work up little upgrades. Frame brace seems cheap (and logical) so I'll try that right away, but maybe I'll wait on the rims till I can swing the nicer stuff - unless of course it's all over the place lol.

The stock front wheel can be fitted with a 110 size 18 inch radial.

I didn't know that.

How much difference would I notice by just going to radial up front only and keeping bias ply on the rear? What is a recommended radial that will work on the stock wheel up front?

While a radial can be ftted, it's not a good idea to fit radials and bias plys together. Need to find a rear wheel that you can fit a radial to on order to make the conversion to radial tires.

I didn't know that.

How much difference would I notice by just going to radial up front only and keeping bias ply on the rear? What is a recommended radial that will work on the stock wheel up front?

You can fit a radial rear with a bias ply front but not vice-versa...

You can fit a radial rear with a bias ply front but not vice-versa...[/quot
Do you guys think $3,500 for s super clean 94 in yellow is worth it? It already has pipes and a corbin seat and backrest. 15K mi.

You can fit a radial rear with a bias ply front but not vice-versa...[/quot
Do you guys think $3,500 for s super clean 94 in yellow is worth it? It already has pipes and a corbin seat and backrest. 15K mi.

YES! Sounds like a great price.

Corbin sucks but you could always use it for an anchor if you have a boat...:rofl_200:

I love Yellow 94's.....My favorite Color, Yellow and Chrome...Yeah I know..I have an 2006.. Would have bought a yellow 94 if I could have found one that was mint. I will get over it:biglaugh:. Really if its not beat to death..15K on the clock, hell Jump on it...

Back