About to buy, have questions GEN 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He already said he wouldn't race me!

I spoke with the owner, the bike was laid down on its side, he didn't know what messed up the wheel but he was glad to have it gone. He wanted to put a stock wheel on to do the R1 brake upgrade...

Should be sending me actual pictures of the bike, later tonight.

Haha....just kidding....V Rods are no dogs either! :clapping:

Be careful Ike, a bent wheel usually means bent forks and they can be very difficult to spot without tearing the front apart......there are lots of good VMax's out there in the $4500 - $5000 range....just sayin'

Yes there are some older models out here for 2.5 to 4k. But like the guy told me this one has a lot of aftermarket parts. I think that if all the points that y'all note are inspected check out good then 4.5 is a good deal even with the missed up starter.....

I hope... Tomorrow is the big day... It's going to make the rest of the hitch offshore seem like forever!

Update, my wife... Who is against the purchase of a bike, is making me get the bike inspected at a shop that she choose, so that should eliminate the possibility of getting screwed.

If the shop doesn't know VMaxes, they won't know what to look-for in our particular bikes' issue areas. True, a competent shop should be able to find things like a bent frame or triple trees, obvious fluid leaks, erratic starting/running, obviously-worn tires or brake pads, bent wheels, and cosmetic issues. But, how-many shops are going to read the voltage at idle, and at say, 3000 rpm's? How-closely are they going to look for bent wheels, botched wiring, damaged steering stops, leaking rear shocks, cracked frames behind panels or under the bike, exhaust leaks, etc.? A good shop should do more than say, "no oil spewing-out anywhere when I twist the throttle, and it accelerates under no-load OK, and that headlight certainly is bright! The tires have tread, and the brakes work when I squeeze them while stationary."

Well, if I was you, I would want to see what they are doing to check-out the bike. It does have some $$ stuff, but it also has significant damage-the bent front wheel. What-else was damaged then? I just looked at a similar bike for the year, fewer accessories, and it was > $, but it only had 4K miles on it. Frankly, I would take the 4K miles bike if I was looking to buy one, just because it wasn't in an accident, and my friend just serviced it, and knows its condition. Good luck with this one, but don't be afraid to walk-away if you aren't completely-satisfied. There are plenty of others.

... Bad news.

This morning started bad, wife lost the check. The check that was dilivered to Montgomery tx from Katy tx by State Farm (Matt Schomberg rocks). She lost it, can't find it, buddy even went to help.

Call the owner to ask him to hold tight.... HE CAN'T FIND THE TITLE! LOL so the both look for the stuff... I sit on an oil rig pulling my hair out.

He finds the title, i arrange my buddy to go and look at the bike at the bike shop and test ride it. A new check is cut and my wife heads an hour in the wrong direction to pic up the newly issued check.

Owner calls back, the title was never signed over to him, but the dealership put his name on it so he needs to pay the fines and all that and get the title.

I explained that we just need to pull the plug. Me doing this from an oil rig is no good, i don't have all my ducks in a row. I explained that he was obviously not ready to sell and that he needs to keep me up to date but that when i get off this heartless pig of a rig that i would be looking for a bike in the Conroe/Magnolia area....

Sooooo I found this 98! HAHAH

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4013434787.html

00o0o_7YxcpPR3FJP_600x450.jpg

01212_gZc5jY76s4Q_600x450.jpg

One owner low miles... What about this one y'all?

... Bad news.

This morning started bad, wife lost the check. The check that was dilivered to Montgomery tx from Katy tx by State Farm (Matt Schomberg rocks). She lost it, can't find it, buddy even went to help.

Call the owner to ask him to hold tight.... HE CAN'T FIND THE TITLE! LOL so the both look for the stuff... I sit on an oil rig pulling my hair out.

He finds the title, i arrange my buddy to go and look at the bike at the bike shop and test ride it. A new check is cut and my wife heads an hour in the wrong direction to pic up the newly issued check.

Owner calls back, the title was never signed over to him, but the dealership put his name on it so he needs to pay the fines and all that and get the title.

I explained that we just need to pull the plug. Me doing this from an oil rig is no good, i don't have all my ducks in a row. I explained that he was obviously not ready to sell and that he needs to keep me up to date but that when i get off this heartless pig of a rig that i would be looking for a bike in the Conroe/Magnolia area....

You cannot buy that one. I bought it last weekend lol!!! I just got done stripping all the ugl ass red paint from the engine.

... Bad news.

I think the universe was trying to tell you something... That was not the bike for you.. :biglaugh:

Be patient. You will know when it is the right one. Good luck..

I think the universe was trying to tell you something... That was not the bike for you.. :biglaugh:

Be patient. You will know when it is the right one. Good luck..

+1 It'll work out Ike....the guy with the money ALWAYS has the upper hand!

I sold my FJR to a Deepwater employee who was in dry dock in Singapore at the time, but due back home in a few weeks....it all worked out.

I've got this 98 with 15K here for $1500. I could install a 1300 conversion engine into it and you'd have quite a bit of fun. Pricing will vary depending on what engine options you finally chose. BUT, buying something like Kyles 2000 would be ready to go right now too.

I'm going to look at the one in tomball, but the price is a little high for a 98 with 20k...

Now there is a 85, its got 13k miles for 2500 ish... Kerker exhaust... I'm trying to get together the money. I still have the loan open for the 05'. If his stuff gets right and i haven't bought another one i can still get it...

00V0V_lLofvO4Zwnd_600x450.jpg

Todd has his for sale and I have another customer/friend that has a 98 up for sale (around $4k).

Sean

00G0G_zAWTWCgby5_600x450.jpg

00o0o_8KV0vez4Vim_600x450.jpg

$3500 is what I was asking, figure it would probably be $500-600 for shipping.

I ll cut you a deal to ease shipping pain.... $3250.

Super Clean and well maintained! All parts freshly powder coated gloss black. Custom wrapped tank and fenders. New tires ( 2000 miles ago ), oil change, new plugs. Progressive fork 2" lowering kit with new springs ,seals and fluid ( done 6-14-2013). New Clutch fibers , steels, extra full fiber and steel along with double D clutch mod. Runs awesome. Valves adjusted at dealer. Runs strong. Custom LED Tail light with integrated turnsignals. Drag bar, bar end mirror. Custom machined stock front wheel. KN air filter.

I guarantee its nicer than 90% of the ones your looking at and has no problems. Its a 99 so it has all the bigger brakes and frontend. NOS exahust put on it ( mufflers , head pipes are original to the bike ).

Needs nothing.... help me buy my new machine for my shop. I have a potential buyer on Tuesday. But first come first serve!

Todd

586 six five one 0914

"cc's" bike is probably one of the most-sorted bikes you are likely to find in the marketplace. And under $4K delivered for a bike that is ready-to-go, w/no issues, and lots of upgrades as-far as maintenance and condition is concerned, well, it's a good deal, in my opinion. Don't underestimate the value of the newer bike's brakes and front end, things which make the 1993+ bikes better than the earlier bikes, in my opinion. There are other changes which occurred over the years, and you will benefit from them.

If I was buying it, when I got it, I would replace the double-disc clutch spring by either removing the extra spring, or go w/a PCW heavy-duty (single) spring just to make it easier to operate the clutch. If you're not drag-racing, you don't need the double spring, and the PCW single heavy-duty clutch spring is easy to operate, I have one, and while I haven't made the double-spring conversion to mine to know first-(clutch)hand:biglaugh: the exact difference is in-terms of force needed to operate the clutch, the DD is probably no-fun in stop & go traffic.

Just look at the condition of that bike, nice & fresh, and attention to detail. Gunsmiths are like that, they know the importance of maintenance, and are often obsessive in their attention to details, which makes this a clean designed lightly-modded bike, just-waiting for the next owner, w/no issues concealed by an anxious owner who wants to dump his bike troubles onto the next owner, as one poster recently put-it.:damn angry:

If you get this bike, you will be constantly fielding positive comments from other bikers about the appearance and condition of the bike, and when they see Mr. Max walk the walk, about its performance too!:punk:

About the only thing I would be concerned about is that w/2000 miles on it, that rear tire should be about worn-out!:rofl_200:A quarter mile at-a-time, ya know!

The bike that my friend has is in Indiana. It's a 98 with Full kerker pipe. Mario can, ported polished heads, jetted, new tires on stock wheels, engine guards, mini windshield just misc bling. $4k

Sean

Back